• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at Lord's

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, I think Watto will go for MMarsh, but I expect Hadds will stay, though if it was me I'd pick Nev. That aside, and assuming Starc is fit, I'd expect them to run with the same side.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, I think Watto will go for MMarsh, but I expect Hadds will stay, though if it was me I'd pick Nev. That aside, and assuming Starc is fit, I'd expect them to run with the same side.
The thing about making either of those changes in the second match of a five test series is that you can't go back once you've made it. I know I know, you should always pick the team most likely to win, but continuity of selection is important to both the player about to be dropped and the player replacing him.

Burgey

I think I posted that in the first dig Watson looked about as good as I've seen him play in three years or so. Then he got done lbw twice, around the front pad. It's not that he's getting out, it's that he's getting out the same way and seems incapable of rectifying this technical flaw that's caused him so much trouble for so long.

I understand what you're saying though, but MMarsh's form is deserving of the spot. If Watson plays at Lord's I hope he does really well, but if he goes out cheaply twice and in the same way as he's been getting done against England for so long, then it's likely we'll be 2-0 down and it'll be too late fro his replacement to have a meaningful impact on the result of the series.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing about making either of those changes in the second match of a five test series is that you can't go back once you've made it. I know I know, you should always pick the team most likely to win, but continuity of selection is important to both the player about to be dropped and the player replacing him.
Watto being dropped would hardly be a bolt from the blue as he has been drinking in the last chance saloon for more than 12 months

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The problem with an unchanged team is that a similar performance and we go 2 down. You can then make those changes for the 3rd test but now your dropping 2 new guys (Nev in particular) into a tough environment where you need a win. Can't see Rad being dropped till it's too late though.

Think England would love an unchanged team. That's a problem if you want to win.

adub

International Captain
If Watto and Hadds had got us to day 5 and thanks to the weather a draw then they'd have the right for another crack at Lords, but 1-0 down and on the back of a long run of being given leniency at the selection table I don't think either has a complaint if they miss out.

I'm not buying the Lords being too tough for Nev thing either. He's not 21. He's a pretty experienced pro with lots of experience captaining NSW. If he's the better all round package with bat and gloves (and I'm sure he is) then he should play. He's shown plenty of times that he's a competitor and can make runs when his side's in trouble. He's just more likely to be inspired to a match winning performance making his debut on the big stage than to be overawed.

At 0-0 we could afford to be a bit conservative and give old guys like Watto and Hadds a chance to prove they ain't completely past it. But now we need to counter attack and we all know these two aren't going to be the ones capable of carrying that. Marsh in the form of his life at 6 and Mr Dependable Nev at 7 and moving better behind the sticks should give us a much firmer basis to strike back.

howardj

International Coach
Please no Siddle

Was reading today that his most recent 5 Tests he's taken 9 wickets at 66

It's a myth that he's got great control

Besides, bowling in general and lack of control more specifically were not big problems at Cardiff

WE comfortably took 20 wickets

howardj

International Coach
I would make two changes by injecting some zest, some chutzpah, some exuberance if you will:

Out: Watson, Haddin

In: MMarsh, Nev

Burgey

I didn't see all or even a lot of the first test, but the softness of some of the dismissals ****ted me no end. Rogers, TPC, and Clarke in the first dig; Clarke, Haddin and even Voges in the second. ****ing awful. To get starts and then get ot softly is pissing around with decent form, and that's always a dangerous thing to do. I know Voges was a bit stiff in the second dig because he was new to the crease, but look at his (lack of) footwork ffs. Dire ****. Worst of all was gifting Ali wickets the way they did. Jesus Christ man.

adub

International Captain
Please no Siddle

Was reading today that his most recent 5 Tests he's taken 9 wickets at 66

It's a myth that he's got great control

Besides, bowling in general and lack of control more specifically were not big problems at Cardiff

WE comfortably took 20 wickets
I'd seriously rather we played Marsh at 6 and put Watto at 9 instead of Siddle. He mightn't be as old as some of the others on the tour, but he's done.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Is there anything worse than reading the Aussie sports media after Australia loses an Ashes test?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'd seriously rather we played Marsh at 6 and put Watto at 9 instead of Siddle. He mightn't be as old as some of the others on the tour, but he's done.
Exactly why Cummins selection isn't getting as much heat as it should.

social

Is there anything worse than reading the Aussie sports media after Australia loses an Ashes test?
Daily Telegraph in the lead-up to the last SOO beats anything ever

It's like QLD's dominance never happened and guys like Smith, Inglis & Thurston were softies that needed zimmer frames to get around

Swingpanzee

International Regular
At 0-0 we could afford to be a bit conservative and give old guys like Watto and Hadds a chance to prove they ain't completely past it. But now we need to counter attack and we all know these two aren't going to be the ones capable of carrying that. Marsh in the form of his life at 6 and Mr Dependable Nev at 7 and moving better behind the sticks should give us a much firmer basis to strike back.
This.

It's not exactly an out-of-the-blue call or debatable selection really, both Watson and Haddin are in horrible nick. Playing them with the hope that they would contribute in Lord's despite them having done zilch in the past year is foolish. Bring on Marsh who is good form and Nevill who is a good keeper and can't be any worse than how Haddin has been

social

I find it very hard to believe that Haddin will get binned as virtually every comment about him from within the team is "great team man" or the like so chances are that they will persevere with him and give him a nudge at the end of the series

Watto is different IMO

Son Of Coco

The most frustrating part about the 1st test is the minute amount of application and patience it would have taken to get us through to the 5th day, where it was widely forecast it was going to rain. Australia didn't even look interested in testing out the prediction.

adub

International Captain
Exactly why Cummins selection isn't getting as much heat as it should.
True enough. I thought he'd be the one to get the call, but that doesn't mean I think he deserved it. If (and I think it's only an if at the moment) the pitches produced continue to nullify MJ and he or Starc need replacing then I think we're in a bit of bother. I'd be less displeased if Haze pulled up lame and Siddle had to fill his role in a dead rubber 5th test, but chasing a series I'm not very confident either of the back up quicks are suitable. Maybe once Cummins gets some overs in the fc game after Lords he'll look more like he belongs, but if we had to replace a bowler this week we're in the ****.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
The most frustrating part about the 1st test is the minute amount of application and patience it would have taken to get us through to the 5th day, where it was widely forecast it was going to rain. Australia didn't even look interested in testing out the prediction.
yeah.