Page 3 of 172 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree424Likes

Thread: *Official* 2nd Test at Lord's

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Mark Foottit? Not seen much of him but left arm and quick sounds promising.
    I think your right, he is probably the next of the rank, but Sidearse would be so much funner.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Are you actually watching the series?
    Yes I am. Stokes hasn't been a real strike bowler so far. With the bat, he has made a 50 and a 40 in the test, and has been clean bowled by Starc in both the innings. Stokes is a decent cricketer, made a match-changing century against NZ, and I'm sure Australia was always expecting to see this much performance from him. So, I don't see why they should be more worried now.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Yes I am. Stokes hasn't been a real strike bowler so far. With the bat, he has made a 50 and a 40 in the test, and has been clean bowled by Starc in both the innings. Stokes is a decent cricketer, made a match-changing century against NZ, and I'm sure Australia was always expecting to see this much performance from him. So, I don't see why they should be more worried now.
    He looks in great nick with the bat and was disciplined in spells with the ball. He has been really good so far.
    hendrix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    He looks in great nick with the bat and was disciplined in spells with the ball. He has been really good so far.
    My question is if anybody expected otherwise before the series started. I expected him to play like this. He is a good cricketer. I didn't expect him to play the kind of innings that Root played in the first innings. I didn't expect him to take cheap 5fers. And he isn't doing any of that so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    If the worst possible thing happened and Anderson got injured I would just call for Sidebottom. Yeah sure he is retired and all but who cares.
    I heart sidebottom.

I imagine Woakes would be the best replacement at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I heart sidebottom.

I imagine Woakes would be the best replacement at this point in time.
    Nah, he's just coming back from injury, it would be Footit if Jimmeh was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    My question is if anybody expected otherwise before the series started. I expected him to play like this. He is a good cricketer. I didn't expect him to play the kind of innings that Root played in the first innings. I didn't expect him to take cheap 5fers. And he isn't doing any of that so far.
    I think he could take 5 at Lord's.

Bowled very well against us without any luck at this venue. The way he hits the deck it kinda jumps with the slope and he gets a bit of bounce too. Could be a real threat against the right handers. Particularly Clarke.

I think he could take 5 at Lord's.

Bowled very well against us without any luck at this venue. The way he hits the deck it kinda jumps with the slope and he gets a bit of bounce too. Could be a real threat against the right handers. Particularly Clarke.
    Aside from one spell, he was distinctly average at Cardiff

Oz have more serious things to worry about than Stokes' bowling IMO
    weldone likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpatientLime View Post
    inb4 the only change is siddle for starc

also, am i the only one not quite getting the wood hype yet?
    I like the cut of his jib tbh, but there's a reason why there haven't been many tall blokes with such short, explosive approaches and mixed actions who've lasted. It must place a massive strain on his body to bowl like that.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I like the cut of his jib tbh, but there's a reason why there haven't been many tall blokes with such short, explosive approaches and mixed actions who've lasted. It must place a massive strain on his body to bowl like that.
    Does he traditionally get through more overs workload wise in FC due to his short run up? ie can he bowl all day. Not directing this at Burgey but his post made me think of the qn.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Anyway, I think Watto will go for MMarsh, but I expect Hadds will stay, though if it was me I'd pick Nev. That aside, and assuming Starc is fit, I'd expect them to run with the same side.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Anyway, I think Watto will go for MMarsh, but I expect Hadds will stay, though if it was me I'd pick Nev. That aside, and assuming Starc is fit, I'd expect them to run with the same side.
    The thing about making either of those changes in the second match of a five test series is that you can't go back once you've made it. I know I know, you should always pick the team most likely to win, but continuity of selection is important to both the player about to be dropped and the player replacing him.

I think I posted that in the first dig Watson looked about as good as I've seen him play in three years or so. Then he got done lbw twice, around the front pad. It's not that he's getting out, it's that he's getting out the same way and seems incapable of rectifying this technical flaw that's caused him so much trouble for so long.

I understand what you're saying though, but MMarsh's form is deserving of the spot. If Watson plays at Lord's I hope he does really well, but if he goes out cheaply twice and in the same way as he's been getting done against England for so long, then it's likely we'll be 2-0 down and it'll be too late fro his replacement to have a meaningful impact on the result of the series.
    Swingpanzee likes this.

The thing about making either of those changes in the second match of a five test series is that you can't go back once you've made it. I know I know, you should always pick the team most likely to win, but continuity of selection is important to both the player about to be dropped and the player replacing him.
    Watto being dropped would hardly be a bolt from the blue as he has been drinking in the last chance saloon for more than 12 months

The problem with an unchanged team is that a similar performance and we go 2 down. You can then make those changes for the 3rd test but now your dropping 2 new guys (Nev in particular) into a tough environment where you need a win. Can't see Rad being dropped till it's too late though.

Think England would love an unchanged team. That's a problem if you want to win.

Page 3 of 172 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information