• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at Lord's

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
When Harris was retired I considered changing my prediction for the series but thought we still had enough bowling to squeeze a tight 2-1 win. After Cardiff I don't think we can do that anymore. It's only one test but I just don't think any one area looks strong enough to win 2 without further losses.

Bowling might fire for a win and batting might click to win or draw but both clicking to get in front overall just doesn't seem likely.

Will be happy to be very wrong.

Compton

International Debutant
Given that he's a spinner that bats at 8, Moeen probably won't be too involved tomorrow anyway. Can't imagine there'd be too much in the pitch for him to bowl at, and England will be hoping he wouldn't be needed if they're batting.

If he's 50/50 then the extra day's 'rest' could be a deciding factor.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
There are two things for Aussie supporters to be happy about:

1. Your middle order batting has improved by the selection of M Marsh and Nevill. Your team is better than the one that played the first test, IMO.

2. England's recent record in tests following a victory isn't great. Against both the WI and NZ, victories were followed by heavy defeats. There may be an element of complacency creeping in following victory.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Really cringe to see the English media talking about how big a blow it is for Australia that Haddin is out.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely no one expects any runs from Nevill though, making his debut at 1-0 down in an away Ashes against a very in-form attack. Keeping might be an improvement, but even then there's a lot that's unique about keeping to an express attack at Lord's.

BeeGee

International Captain
Surely no one expects any runs from Nevill though, making his debut at 1-0 down in an away Ashes against a very in-form attack. Keeping might be an improvement, but even then there's a lot that's unique about keeping to an express attack at Lord's.
There are two sides to bringing in a new guy. Sure, he's inexperienced at this level and in this environment, but England won't be as familiar with him either. They won't have the same level of knowledge about his strengths and weaknesses as they did with Haddin.

This is also the best way to debut. He wasn't selected ahead of Haddin, he's just playing because Haddin can't, so there's very little expectation on his shoulders (as you indicate).

It won't take much for him to perform better than Haddin did in the first test.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Lord's is usually bat first and both captains will want to give the bowlers another day. Be very surprised if a side gets put in.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When Harris was retired I considered changing my prediction for the series but thought we still had enough bowling to squeeze a tight 2-1 win. After Cardiff I don't think we can do that anymore. It's only one test but I just don't think any one area looks strong enough to win 2 without further losses.

Bowling might fire for a win and batting might click to win or draw but both clicking to get in front overall just doesn't seem likely.

Will be happy to be very wrong.
England's top 3 hardly inspires confidence and it would not surprise me at all to see them lose early wickets more often than not

It's almost inevitable that they will be rolled for a low first innings score sooner or later (as they should have been in Cardiff) and Oz needs to capitalize on that

BeeGee

International Captain
England's top 3 hardly inspires confidence and it would not surprise me at all to see them lose early wickets more often than not
Indeed. At the fall of the third England wicket...

WI
First test... 3/34, 3/52

Second test... 3/164, 1/144

Third test... 3/38, 3/18

NZ
First test... 3/25, 3/74

Second test... 3/238, 3/62

Aus
First test... 3/43, 3/73

Only 3 good starts out of 12.

Last edited:

Compton

International Debutant
Indeed. At the fall of the third England wicket...

WI
First test... 3/34, 3/52

Second test... 3/164, 1/144

Third test... 3/38, 3/18

NZ
First test... 3/25, 3/74

Second test... 3/238, 3/62

Aus
First test... 3/43, 3/73

Only 3 good starts out of 12.
Looking at those numbers, does Joe Root out average the top 3 combined over that period? :lol:

Tangles

It's almost inevitable that they will be rolled for a low first innings score sooner or later (as they should have been in Cardiff) and Oz needs to capitalize on that
Away from home recent Aus form isn't good. I can see getting a win but turning around and winning the series will mean playing better consistently and winning more sessions. Can't afford another bowling injury and need Clarke or Smith in God mode every match.

tooextracool

International Coach
Really cringe to see the English media talking about how big a blow it is for Australia that Haddin is out.
Considering that hes made a career out of scoring runs against England and failed miserably against pretty much everybody else, they might have a point. That being said, I am personally more concerned about a guy that averages 44 odd in domestic cricket and has a double hundred to his name than someone who has been in terminal decline since the last Ashes series

The Battlers Prince

The importance of runs from the keeper nowadays is almost up with actually keeping well. Most wickets are so flat you don't need to be able to move as well as in the past. When the wickets ordinary you get shown up as happened to Wade in India. The Lord's slope will provide a challenge for Nev coming in on debut I think but he should be fine after a while. So long Hadds

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Considering that hes made a career out of scoring runs against England and failed miserably against pretty much everybody else, they might have a point. That being said, I am personally more concerned about a guy that averages 44 odd in domestic cricket and has a double hundred to his name than someone who has been in terminal decline since the last Ashes series
Be very surprised if Neville is an abject failure with the bat

Keeping might be different