• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at Lord's

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Brett Lee has just been seen on Sky saying Watson will be a huge loss to Australia as he's a match winner.

I want some of what he's smoking.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think England's attack now vs England's attack in the West Indies with Chris Jordan, or prior to that with someone like Woakes, proves the point.

The improvement isn't simply that Wood is a better bowler than Jordan or Woakes (he is, for the record) but that Wood's legitimate pace and style of bowling is distinctly different from Anderson and Broad. Before Wood's inclusion England's problem wasn't simply that their attack wasn't good enough, but more that it wasn't diverse enough.
I honestly think that's complete bull****

It gets easier for the batsmen to play when you can get into a rhythm against bowlers with the same pace/line/length/swing.
but then that kinda makes sense

Still, I'd much rather face a varied attack of tall left-armers, short-right armers, round-arms, swing, seam bowlers etc that bowl some loose balls than face 4 right-arm medium fast quicks that are all pretty much the same but swing it both ways and never bowl a bad ball.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
not really

If 2 bowlers both bowl well it will work, if they don't then it won't. How similar they are in style is almost irrelevant.

Granted it could be more pronounced when 2 fast & loose bowlers both bowl badly as it can look really, really bad as far as runs conceded goes.

Shaun Tait never worked in test cricket because he bowled ****
No, because those guys can bowl well but because of their extra pace, they still go for runs and they don't help build pressure.

Riggins

International Captain
Still, I'd much rather face a varied attack of tall left-armers, short-right armers, round-arms, swing, seam bowlers etc that bowl some loose balls than face 4 right-arm medium fast quicks that are all pretty much the same but swing it both ways and never bowl a bad ball.
Easier to face guys bowling some loose balls than guys bowling only good balls? Could be big news if true.

Gob

International Coach
Dont have high hopes for this even with the recharged team. A win for Aus would set up a great series but the gut feeling is that England would go 2 zip up. Hope Clarke wont hesitate to put a third man and deep point in if Engurland starts to score quickly.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Hope Clarke wont hesitate to put a third man and deep point in if Engurland starts to score quickly.
Yes with 3 Mitchells in the team, Clarke needs to be defensive with field settings when a partnership blossoms.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England set to risk Moeen Ali in second Ashes Test after injury to Adil Rashid | Sport | The Guardian

Thought it was weird and a massive risk to play Ali with a sidestrain but sounds like Rashid pulled out as well with a hand injury after hearing he was going to debut.

Says it all about English spin at the moment. Having to pick a half fit bowler in Ali. Ansari should make the trip across London tonight and debut tomorrow imo.

Otherwise there really is no one else. Kerrigan and Riley have both been not selected for their counties in recent weeks. Tredwell hardly bowls. Hilarious that they're basically left with having to gamble massively on Moeen.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Unless the pitch is a raging turner, we can afford a gamble because we also have a 4 pronged seam attack. Joe Root can also bowl a few filler spin overs as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really don't think playing him half-fit is a good idea at all; we've seen what half-fit Moeen looks like and it's not pretty. Tredwell not being selected for his county didn't stop them picking him in the West Indies, and Briggs and Kerrigan are both having decentish seasons despite not being picked all the time if they want to go with someone younger/in form.

I can just see this backfiring with him losing confidence and the 'oh he's a part-timer' brigade getting on his back if he has an off game. From a series perspective I think they should just suck up the one game he's going to be out and try to have him back properly for the third Test.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Unless the pitch is a raging turner, we can afford a gamble because we also have a 4 pronged seam attack. Joe Root can also bowl a few filler spin overs as well.
Yes I'm guessing they're just gonna play Ali almost as a bat. Says a lot about the spin bowling that they don't even bother to call anyone up to cover for their 0 fit spin bowlers when normally they love calling up a million replacements when there is even a hint of an injury. Hey maybe Ansari gets called up tonight after play is finished for the evening at the oval.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I really don't think playing him half-fit is a good idea at all; we've seen what half-fit Moeen looks like and it's not pretty. Tredwell not being selected for his county didn't stop them picking him in the West Indies, and Briggs and Kerrigan are both having decentish seasons despite not being picked all the time if they want to go with someone younger/in form.

I can just see this backfiring with him losing confidence and the 'oh he's a part-timer' brigade getting on his back if he has an off game. From a series perspective I think they should just suck up the one game he's going to be out and try to have him back properly for the third Test.
Or maybe he'll be fine? This is all hearsay

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No idea if this is mind games or just a load of old tosh but it isn't often than spinners play a major role in tests at HQ so it might not matter anyway.