• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watson & Marsh

Who Should Be Selected As The Allrounder In The 2nd Test

• Shane Watson

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Mitchell Marsh

Votes: 24 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't really see why it needs to be a "huge ton" to be a damaging innings, sort of an overrated concept IMO. Watson has played some pretty good, influential Ashes innings. Perth 2010/11 for example, made 90 odd in the second innings in a somewhat close game and Australia levelled the series. A few more if you include dead rubbers though understandable to ignore them.

On the subject of Ramprakash, looking at his record he only had one man of the match award in 50+ tests. Seems staggeringly low, though I guess he does have a shocking record. By comparison Watson has three, and he's not exactly the world's most influential test player. I wonder who has the worst record in that area from a prominent test nation.
Any of Watson's due to his bowling though?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Any of Watson's due to his bowling though?
Yeah the 6/33 against Pakistan at Headingley. The others are batting-related, 93 & 120 against Pakistan at the MCG in 2009 and the 176 last Ashes in England.

Probably the sort of question that's been answered in the stats column on cricinfo before.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

“I never went to parties in high school because I always had cricket the next day, and I never used to smoke pot like everyone else. I loved playing cricket and I wasn’t interested in anything that might interfere with that. As for girls, when I was at school I suppose I was always a bit of a nerd in a way. We weren’t that well-off and I never had all the new fashions. Also, whatever my dad wore, I thought was cool. I guess I was an under-achiever on the social side.”

Sounds like half of CW.

Swingpanzee

International Regular

“I never went to parties in high school because I always had cricket the next day, and I never used to smoke pot like everyone else. I loved playing cricket and I wasn’t interested in anything that might interfere with that. As for girls, when I was at school I suppose I was always a bit of a nerd in a way. We weren’t that well-off and I never had all the new fashions. Also, whatever my dad wore, I thought was cool. I guess I was an under-achiever on the social side.”

Sounds like half of CW.
Heh.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
australia are the one nation ramps averaged 40+ against.

that 98/99 tour was infuriating where he kept getting to 50, looking like a million dollars then getting out.
Yeah but those 50's were worse than inconsequential, they were done with regard only to Ramps' getting himself to a good score and none to the team. The Perth Test was the worst; sat on his handle at one end while Gillespie cleaned up at the other end guys who were trying to wrest back the momentum.

That's why guys like Ramps and Watson will be bracketed together. Delivered virtually no influential Test knocks.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT

Sounds like half of CW.
lol yeah I'm sure your high school years were filled with awesome *****.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But seriously though, that's not what I was laughing at. More the weed and dad's clothing bit. He's married to Lee Furlong ffs.

we're yorkshire

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I can't remember ever thinking Watson was a quality test cricketer, and even before the first game as an England fan was delighted to see him batting at 6, him and Haddin are clear weak links. If I was going into that first test I'd of played a proper number 6 batsman, as the batting is a major issue, and had Marsh at 7, with Haddin 8, and if a bowling attack of Hazelwood, Starc and Lyon, with Steve Smith and Marsh as back up bowlers isn't enough then Watson was never going to make any difference. I just don't see why hes in the squad, there must be better players than Shane Watson sat on the sidelines in Australia

Compton

International Debutant
Has to be Mitchell Marsh.

Watson was picked over Marsh for his bowling, but he's only bowling 10-15 overs in a match, so I'm not convinced that his tight line and length merits inclusion over Marsh, who is all-round the much better option. Yeah he bowls a few bad balls, but he also consistently looks more like taking wickets. On top of that, Marsh has a regular sized front pad, not one of those novelty sized ones that Shane Watson seems to wear.

Not to be 'that guy' and obviously he's not Cricket Australia's best buddy right now, but James Faulkner has a better first class record than Marsh, and has been playing his cricket in England for the last few months...