Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Player Ratings thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I'm more worried about Buttler's mindset atm than his technique. I genuinely don't know what he's trying to achieve at the crease whilst batting the way he is.
    Yeah, I agree, seemed to be pretty much free-wheeling as an attacking bat when he first came into it, now looks like he's thinking too much about it. The old paralysis by analysis.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Yeah, I agree, seemed to be pretty much free-wheeling as an attacking bat when he first came into it, now looks like he's thinking too much about it. The old paralysis by analysis.
    He was walking in with the team miles ahead though when he first came in. He had no pressure and pie lobbers bowling at him.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Series ratings so far, on the fly and uncalibrated

England

Cook: B- : Has looked in good nick with the blade and not got the results to match which is disappointing - he'd be somewhere around the D mark but for his generally good captaincy
    Lyth: F : Decent in the field aside from one drop.
    Bell: C+ : Dragged himself up from an E just in time for the midterms
    Root: A- : averaging 60 with the bat, sub 30 with the ball, gun in the field. The type of guy you want your daughter to marry. Better than Steve Smith.
    Stokes: C- : gun at Cardiff, quiet since, lucky not to be expelled for that run out at Lord's
    Bairstow: TSTR (too soon to rate)
    Buttler: C- : good behind the stumps, batting is a worry that a strong 8 and resurgent 9 are currently masking
    Ali: C+ : Has more critics than seemingly anyone in the team but brings useful contributions frequently
    Broad: B+ : the most consistent bowler on either side thus far and recovery with the bat well underway
    Anderson: B+ : One good, one bad, one excellent. Will be missed
    Finn: TSTR but on course for an A*
    Ballance: C- : Was on his way to an E or F if he hadn't been dropped but did provide a very useful and important innings at Cardiff
    Wood: C : a work in progress but scrapes the C for his value at Cardiff alone

Crime

Rogers: B+ : Excellent. Would make a good partner for Cook
    Warner: F: as in for ****wit. Gets a B- for performance
    Smith: E : bowled some of the worst legspin I've ever seen. Wishes he was Joe Root
    Clarke: G : lol
    Voges: G+ : lol
    Marsh: E : Better than Watson tbf
    Neville: B- : looks decent but got out three times in the second dig at Edgbaston and as such average must be adjusted accordingly
    Johnson: B- : mixed bag. Aborted run up when crowd were laying into him was great panto stuff and shows the development of the guy versus 09 & 10-11. Also shows the difference between him and a bona fide **** like Warner. Still a **** though
    Starc: C : unmemorable bar the odd delivery but not perhaps as bad as some are saying
    Hazelwood: D : ****e
    Lyon: B+ : very good
    Watson: E- : as bad at cricket as he is at being a human being
    Haddin: N/A : I don't rate players off one match unless they are Watson
    Stace and Hurricane like this.

I'm more worried about Buttler's mindset atm than his technique. I genuinely don't know what he's trying to achieve at the crease whilst batting the way he is.
    Yeah, I would be tempted to swap him and Moeen and just tell him to go and hit the ball.

He'll probably smash the fastest ever ton in the first ODI.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Cook 5 - batted well before an odd dismissal first up, got a brute second ball. I didn't really notice his captaincy a lot but if you can knock off a side cheaply twice you're doing something right.
    Lyth 2 - just isn't Test standard. Had England lost it would've likely been his last Test.
    Bell 8 - should've kicked on in the first innings but looked a lot more positive and refreshed at 3. Will wait and see if this lasts.
    Root 7.5 - solid game from him, will be kicking himself for the nature of his first innings dismissal thoguh.
    Bairstow 2 - hard to grade as he got an absolute snorter first innings and didn't bat second innings. It is what it is, though.
    Stokes 4 - bowled well, like Bairstow copped a ripper first innings.
    Buttler 4 - kept well but there has to be question marks about his technique, mindset and attitude when batting. Why wouldn't you refer a decision which 1. would've been overturned and 2. when you're the last Top 7 batsman remaining?
    Ali 5 - innings was ugly as sin but it was important, nothing to really write home about with the ball.
    Broad 7.5 - bowled pretty well I felt, and his innings was important and surprisingly mature.
    Finn 9 - well welcome back to Test cricket. Yeah he occassionally bowled tripe but looked dangerous and got some really important wickets. This was the white-ball version of Finn circa 2012.
    Anderson 9 - hopefully for England's sake this injury doesn't keep him out of both Tests. Showed how dangerous he is on helpful surfaces in the second innings.

Rogers 7 - in the first innings looked the only batsman that knew what the stick in his hands was used for.
    Warner 8 - got a good ball first up, played a very important second innings but will be aggreived to get out when he did.
    Smith 1 - not his best but was due. Loses points for the second innings dismissal.
    Clarke 0 - oh dear. Looked all at sea with the bat, dropped a catch, made some questionable captaincy decisions.
    Voges 1 - been worked out. I suspect this is his last Test.
    Marsh 2 - bowling was OK, but looks out of his depth with the bat. Calls to drop him for Watson is harsh though.
    Nevill 5 - keeping wasn't amazing, batted well second dig.
    Johnson 6 - bowled some ripping deliveries, but looked a bit too hittable at times. Needed better control IMO, he's hardly going to be a beacon of consistency and control so the rest of the bowling unit didn't really do their jobs.
    Starc 5 - impressive batting but the Cook delievery aside generally looked really poor with the ball.
    Hazlewood 3 - also took wickets but looked very unimpressive IMO. Strayed on to the pads too much and just didn't offer enough control.
    Lyon 7 - well bowled first up. Second innings wasn't great but in fairness, the circumstances were hardly ideal.
    5-0

Want to be the online Don Bradman or Ian Salisbury?
    Then join CW Cricket today. It's what all the cool kids desire.

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014

Overall ratings to date.

Rogers 8.5 - probably Australia's most consistent bat in a fairly weak batting line-up. Does not look like a man in his last series.
    Warner 6 - has looked in good touch when he gets through the new ball but has thrown away starts. End of the day, not enough of his innings have been especially important.
    Smith 8 - was brilliant at Lord's but hasn't been so good elsewhere. Weakness outside off stump has been exposed to an extent, although that probably applies for most batsmen.
    Clarke 2 - he looks cooked, I'm afraid. Has not looked in good touch with the bat at all. His captaincy has also been odd this series.
    Voges 2 - has been exposed. Unlike the Rogers one this selection on an aging FC gun didn't pay off.
    Watson 4 - the first Test was pretty much Watson.txt. Rightfully dumped.
    Haddin 2 - continued his bad run of form with the bat and made a crucial drop. The call to drop him wasn't ideal given the circumstances but I feel it was the right one.
    Johnson 7 - struggled in the first innings of the series. Has improved since then and has been Australia's most dangerous bowler in the last two Tests. Not quite as brilliant as he was in 2013/14 but looks better than he did last summer.
    Starc 5 - hasn't really learned a thing about bowling with the red ball, frankly. Still looks pretty rubbish when the ball stops swinging, although he at least gets wickets off good balls.
    Hazlewood 7 - he's taken a lot of wickets at a good average but I don't think he's bowled as well as what he could've. Has struggled to get the line right to the left-handers and a few of those wickets have been tail-enders.
    Lyon 8 - the pick of the Australian bowlers IMO. At the very least the most consistent of them.
    Marsh 5 - doesn't look up to the required class with the bat, but has bowled well. Needs to convert his tour match form into Test runs fast.

Lyth 2 - not up to par, I'm afraid. I know Cook's opening partner has been a big issue for England since Strauss retired but I really don't think Lyth is the answer.
    Cook 6 - one good if futile innings, not a lot else. His captaincy has been pretty damn good.
    Ballance 3 - looked really bad all series and probably deserved to be dropped, but his runs at Cardiff were crucial.
    Bell 6 - drags his rating up with an excellent performance at 3 at Birmingham. Yes he hasn't really kicked on with his fifites and has been patchy but 3 fifties means I can't grade him too low.
    Root 8 - looked like the 2013 Root at Lord's, but has looked class when he gets in. On course to be England's best batsman since the 50's, probably.
    Stokes 7 - comical run-out notwithstanding has largely batted very well. Bowling needs improvement.
    Buttler 5 - kept well, but there has to be question marks about his technique, mindset and attitude when batting. Strong lower order is masking it but he'd want it to improve.
    Ali 6 - he's done what's asked of him mostly. For the most part I think he's batted better than he's bowled though, despite looking as loose as **** a lot of the time.
    Broad 8 - most consistent English bowler for the most part. Has mostly been very good.
    Wood 5.5 - work in progress. Has potential and bowled well at Cardiff, but that action/run-up is gonna give him a lot of strife in his career.
    Anderson 8 - doesn't look as effective without the new ball. But given a bit of assistance is as damaging as anyone. His injury will hurt.
    Bairstow 2 - hard to grade as he got an absolute snorter first innings and didn't bat second innings. It is what it is, though
    Finn 9 - well welcome back to Test cricket. Yeah he occassionally bowled tripe but looked dangerous and got some really important wickets. This was the white-ball version of Finn circa 2012.

Dude. I need to get out of Seattle this weekend. This chick is all over my junk and I've got to get away
    Warner: 6.5 - Threw away his 2nd innings, still trying to find his groove
    Rogers: 6.5 - Looked like the only one who knew how to bat apart despite runs suggesting otherwise
    Smith: 0 - Needs to learn swing is bad for you
    Clarke: 0 - A walking corpse
    Voges: 0 - A walking re-animated corpse
    Marsh: 0 - Has had this problem where he enjoys leaving a nice gap between bat and pad for awhile, needs a fix tbh imo.
    Nevill: 6 - Poor leave in 1st, good keeping, good innings in the 2nd but a legside attack to him actually worked, needs to up his game in that area.
    Johnson: 6.5 - Almost turned the match without being overly impressive.
    Starc: 1 - Only gets a point for the dismissal of Cook in the second and his luckswing innings. **** red-ball bowler.
    Hazlewood: 1 - Pies galore
    Lyon: 7 - Criminally underrated in the series so far, not utilized enough.

Cook: 5 - Batting didn't arrive, captaincy was excellent.
    Lyth: 0 - Even I can do better
    Bell: 7 - Emphatic response under pressure, 1st innings dismissal was tripe however.
    Root: 8 - God level catching, good batting and a great overall match.
    Bairstow: 1 - Didn't exist
    Stokes: 1 - Didn't exist
    Buttler: 0 - A real find, no doubt the player of a generation to come.
    Ali: 6 - Won the match with his innings arguably, still not a good bowler most of the time.
    Broad: 5 - Helped Ali, did very little bar get Rogers twice with the ball.
    Finn: 8 - Glorious comeback, still bowling a few pies however.
    Anderson: 9 - Masterclass in the first innings, pity hes dead.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnske View Post
    Anderson: 9 - Masterclass in the first innings, pity hes dead.
    You know what happened to the last messiah when he died.........look out at the Oval ****s.
    Gnske likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    4th test

Rogers 6
    Warner 4
    Smith 3
    Marsh 0
    Clarke 1
    Voges 6
    Nevill 4
    Johnson 5
    Starc 8
    Hazlewood 5
    Lyon 7

Cook 7
    Lyth 2
    Bell 2
    Root 9
    Bairstow 7
    Stokes 8
    Buttler 4
    Ali 6
    Broad 10
    Wood 6
    Finn 6
    What if all the switches get stuck on 'destroy'?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Howe, I think you've been too kind for Smith, Johnson and definitely Lyon.
    Vote for CW top 50 ODI cricketers of all time here

U19 Debutant
    overall series for aus so far

Rogers - 9
    Warner - 5
    Smith - 5.5
    Clarke - 0
    Mitchell marsh - 2
    Shaun marsh - 0
    Adam voges - 1
    brad haddin - 0
    peter nevill - 3
    shane watson - 1
    mitchell starc - 6.5
    josh hazlewood - 6
    mitchell johnson - 3
    nathan lyon - 6

Dude. I need to get out of Seattle this weekend. This chick is all over my junk and I've got to get away
    Rogers: 6 - Gave a million chances in the second dig despite a 50
    Warner: 5 - Still won't **** off with that meme lap pull he does.
    Smith: 2 - The catch was pretty good and deserves more than 0
    Marsh: 0 - A good match by his standards.
    Clarke: 0 - Not a good way to go into the sunset, poor, poor batting.
    Voges: 2 - A pity his half century couldn't come when it mattered.
    Nevill: 2 - Tidy keeping, out of his depth batting
    Johnson: 0 - Useless
    Starc: 7 - A meme five-for in between the pure **** he's been serving up
    Hazlewood: 0 - Useless
    Lyon: 1 - Didn't do anything

Cook: 5 - Poor drop, captaincy flowing
    Lyth: 0 - Needs to go
    Bell: 0 - Still bad
    Root: 10 - Two rippers and a killer innings, flawless match.
    Bairstow: 6 - Good first innings if a bit lucky
    Stokes: 9 - Fantastic display of bowling and a catch to die for
    Buttler: 0 - This whole "This lad I tell you, hes the future" meme needs to die
    Ali: 3 - Didn't do anything really
    Broad: 9 - GOAT
    Wood: 5 - Still lacks something
    Finn: 5 Average
    Last edited by Gnske; 08-08-2015 at 05:33 AM.

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    The only rating that matters is that Root is number 1 batsman in the world.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    The only rating that matters is that Root is number 1 batsman in the world.
    And Broad is No2 bowler with Jimmy No3.
    The summer of Jimmy

JM Anderson (ENG) 7 14 236.3 72 550 39 7/42 9/73 14.10 2.32 36.3 3 0

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information