• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player Ratings thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England:
Cook - 4/10 He is good at captaining but it stops there in my mind
Lyth - 3/10 remember 5 is average, he is definitely worse than average
Ballance - 5/10 getting sixty odd saved him
Bell - 6/10 given his experience and his sixty I think he is key too england but is out of form
Root - 9/10 unbreakable
Stokes - 6/10 can stuff up australias confidence so quickly but his bowling lets him down, terrible action means he slants across pads
Butler - 4/10 don't rate him at all really batting wise, but at lease he didnt drop the game
Ali - 8/10 deserves to be a top 6 batsmen, good whilst not being great with the ball but picked up 3 or 4 absolutely key wickets
Broad - 4/10 wastes the new ball compared to jimmy, can't bat anymore but puts the balls in a good spot and his height is an advantage
Wood - 4/10 he could be somethying big if someone took him aside and fixed up his run up, currently not so usefull though
Anderson - 10/10 best swing bowling with that second new ball I have EVER seen, rediculous stuff amazing player and couldnt give two ****s about his batting

Australia
Rogers - 6/10 good form of late, needs to step up in conditions he has mastered
Warner - 8/10 amazing player but can throw his wicket away
Smith - 8/10 inform but will be found out with his technique and once he looses form
Clarke - 7/10 once was amazing, not amazing anymore but still exceedingly good
Voges - 3/10 lucky once, needs to go though
Watson - 6/10 amazing technique, out of form, found out with LBW, good bowler, needs to find a few runs though or he goes
Haddin - 4/10 dropped that game, out of form with bat, annoyed me a lot how he threw his wicket away in fourth innings when we could have pushed for rain delay and therefore possibly draw
Johnson - 8/10 great bowler, out of form, batting is good and its nice to see him get runs
Starc - 6/10 next big thing but hes not phenomenal yet
Hazlewood - 7/10 also a future star especially if he could find 10 or 15 km more pace
Lyon - 6/10 great offspiner if the pitch is right for him, but if it isn't though he may be effective his wickets can come from slog artists taking him on which i suppose is from dot ball pressure and all.
This is a joke surely, highlights of it being Watson getting 2 more marks then Broad and Wood. Wood even got an a bigger innings and wasn't out twice whilst wasting reviews.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is a joke surely, highlights of it being Watson getting 2 more marks then Broad and Wood. Wood even got an a bigger innings and wasn't out twice whilst wasting reviews.
I'm pretty sure those are overall career ratings (they're bad, mind you. Broad a 4?)

Stace

First Class Debutant
I'm pretty sure those are overall career ratings (they're bad, mind you. Broad a 4?)
Is it as bad as cooks 4? He's got 27 centuries but he writes "Cook - 4/10 He is good at captaining but it stops there in my mind", even if he think's he's been found out you don't give him a 4 after he's scored the most Test runs in his countries history

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I forgot he was pretty decent in the second innings. Probably deserves a middling rating. I'm just not moved by his runs - the fields he was batting against showed England certainly weren't
He actually bowled decently on the first day too. Was a tad unlucky. Bowled crap on day 2 though.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
1st test

Cook 5.5 - captaincy good, catching good, scored 30 runs which is better than nowt.
Lyth 4 - Nice positivity in the second innings, but Compton should be there.
Ballance 6 - Important 50
Bell 6 - Important 50
Root 9.5 - He's quite good
Stokes 7 - Didn't like his bowlingmuch, batting remains focal though
Buttler 5 - Terrible dismissals, good 'keeping
Ali 8 -still too many bad balls to be wildly happy about his bowling, would like him to go on for bigger scores too, but in this match, contribution was vital
Broad 8 - Bit unlucky to only pick up 5
Wood 8 - gives us something, needs to bat above Broad
Anderson 7.5 - unspectacular, but good

Warner 4
Rogers 7.5
Smith 4
Clarke 2
Voges 2
Watson 3
Haddin 1
Johnson 5
Starc 7
Hazlewood 8
Lyon 7
Absolutely no way that Compton should be there.

A journeyman County player who,in his late 20s, suddenly hit a fairly brief purple patch and got a few Tests on the back of that (harking back to the bad old days of picking ordinary 'form' players). had an obvious technical fault which would have been quickly seized upon by better bowlers. He's now 32 and has far from set the world alight in the last two years.

The coming man from Yorkshire is Lees.

Johann

School Boy/Girl Captain
Some bizarre comments on this thread already, most notably tedsheppard :laugh:

Cook 6 - perfect game as captain and some great catches.
Lyth 5 - Clearly struggled a bit but managed to get some runs in the second dig. Needs to be persevered with
Ballance 6 - Important but awful looking 50. Not sure we've got his role right yet but like his guts
Bell 6 - Important 50 but needs to follow it up with a big score in the next game
Root 9.5 - Best England batsman I've seen in 20-odd years of watching cricket
Stokes 7 - Good batting, good bowling and looks like he's improving all the time
Buttler 6 - Disappointing with the bat but kept very well in trying circumstances.
Ali 7 - got better with the ball as the game went on but still too many runs leaked. Sublime 77 in the frst innings was vital to our total
Broad 8 - Best he's bowled in a long time
Wood 8 - star in the making
Anderson 8 - Worthy of an 8 for his second new ball spell in the first innings alone - majestic

Warner 5 - looks out of sorts but dug in a bit
Rogers 7 - did very well in the second innings against some very good bowling
Smith 4 - a return to the Smith of old
Clarke 3 - captained poorly, batted poorly
Voges 3 - looked out of his depth
Watson 3 - should be his last game for Australia
Haddin 2 - finished
Johnson 5 - batted very well but bowled poorly on a track that did nothing for him
Starc 7 - Bowled some absolute beauties aong with some filth. Batted well too
Hazlewood 7 - very solid
Lyon 8 - pick of the Aussie attack

Gnske

Warner: 4 - Were signs he was going out of form late in India series but seems to have lost it a bit since he gave up the sledging life.
Rogers: 5 - Probably deserves higher but needs to be doing more, completely lost it when he got into the 90s
Smith: 3 - Missed a chance day 1, dreadful first innings dismissal
Clarke: 1 - Hasn't been in form in two years, looked listless in the field
Voges: 2 - A start thrown away and undone by Wood, doesn't look all that fancy
LBW: 0 - I'm going to kill myself by locking myself in a sewer pipe during a storm and drowning if he gets selected again
Haddin: 0 - Dreadful
Johnson: 2 - Inconsistent and blunt but deserved more after some sharp spells
Starc: 0 - I know he took 5 wickets but the fact he has learned nothing of cricket that lasts more than a day warrants him no marks.
Hazlewood: 6 - Probably the only bowler I felt might take a wicket whenever he bowled, a bit wayward on an unhelpful pitch.
Lyon: 7 - Literally the best bowler, still suffers from delivering trash in between the wicket takers.

Cook: 7 - Needs to go back to gritting out tons, but captaincy and catching was top notch. Best 4 days as captain since India.
Lyth: 4 - Has promise but looks a tad vulnerable despite his sprightly knock
Ballance: 5 - Gritted out an important knock but still has the most godawful technique that somehow gets him runs.
Bell: 5 - Got a good ball then saved probably his career with that second innings. Still handled Lyon in the first innings like a total toss-pot.
Root: 9 - Dropped a catch in an otherwise flawless match. Root > Smith
Stokes: 7 - Made contributions everywhere like an all-rounder should.
Buttler: 5 - Amazingly out-kept Haddin, not great match with bat.
Moeen: 8 - Took the game away with bat and ball, might be the man who wins the Ashes for England if Root has a miraculous fall of form.
Wood: 7 - Lacked reward due to at times wayward bowling but was incredibly sharp and wily.
Broad: 7 - Made contributions without being noticeable.
Anderson: 7 - Contributions again without being a highlight.

I could probably get hired by SMH for ratings this casual.

Last edited:

grecian

Absolutely no way that Compton should be there.

A journeyman County player who,in his late 20s, suddenly hit a fairly brief purple patch and got a few Tests on the back of that (harking back to the bad old days of picking ordinary 'form' players). had an obvious technical fault which would have been quickly seized upon by better bowlers. He's now 32 and has far from set the world alight in the last two years.

The coming man from Yorkshire is Lees.
Wasn't the coming man from Yorkshire, Lyth about 4 months ago. In the end, Compton and cook worked as a partnership, and no-one else since has done much better, in fact all worse really.

Last edited:

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Wasn't the coming man from Yorkshire, Lyth about 4 months ago. In the end, Compton and cook worked as a partnership, and no-one else since has done much better, in fact all worse really.
A couple of years back I was talking to two people reasonably high up in Yorkshire cricket (and both ex FC players).

I posed the question who in the current Yorkshire ranks, and up and coming, did they see as top players.

Root was already going pretty well but they both said the Lees was a better player than Lyth and reckoned he was destined for a long, successful Test career. They also reckoned Fisher, the seamer, would be very good if not rushed.

Howe_zat

Audio File
That's just a measure of who was batting well at the time though. Lyth was meant to be the next big thing about 5 years ago, Boycott was singing is praises and he was playing for the Lions. Then he had a crap season in 2011 and people forgot about him for a bit.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Cook looked good first innings until Lyon came on, and then it was weird. I don't expect him to do that again.
He got out in basically the exact same way twice when set in Aus last time. It's a go to shot for him against the spinners, but Lyon's bounce seems to trouble him.

we're yorkshire

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Cook 6 and Lyth 4 seems a bit off. Cook had a good game as captain, but he doesn't deserve better than average for his 32 runs. Lyth had a below average game, but his 2nd innings partnership with Bell was vital in the context of the game.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
That's just a measure of who was batting well at the time though. Lyth was meant to be the next big thing about 5 years ago, Boycott was singing is praises and he was playing for the Lions. Then he had a crap season in 2011 and people forgot about him for a bit.
At that time Lyth was settled in the Yorkshire team and scoring plenty.

Lees was a comparative new boy but they both considered him a superior talent.

Spark

Global Moderator
Cook: Batting arguably as well as he did at his peak a few years ago, considering the much higher quality of bowling he's facing compared to then. Captained well too. Not gonna be too harsh on his last dig dismissal when it was there to be hit and he'd barely sat down for four days. 8/10
Lyth: Doesn't really look up to it, tbh. I don't think his technical issues are nearly as massive as the next entrant in this list, but I'm with Uppercut on this - he just doesn't seem to have the talent at this stage (and he isn't exactly young). Dropped catch when he's supposed to be good in the cordon doesn't help either. 1/10
Ballance: I'll repeat what I've been saying for ages now - send him back to county cricket, but fire his batting coach(es) first. He'd be far better served IMO just standing there and hitting the ball rather than trying to work out all these technical quirks, right now he's flat-out guessing where the ball will be every time it's pitched in his half. 2/10
Bell: Complete non-entity. Worth considering how a bloke with 110+ Tests under his belt and, as such, should be one of the natural leaders in the team, can look so anonymous in such an inexperienced side. 1/10 and lucky to get that.
Root: Will be interested to see how he deals with this new tactic at Edgbaston if the pitch is indeed a little quicker, but he can't be expected to save England all the time. 3/10
Stokes: Love his approach to batting, it's so straightforward and, in contrast to some of his top order colleagues, just makes it look a simple game. Bowling needs work (and luck). 7/10
Buttler: What's he doing fiddling around and poking at the crease? Just hit the damn thing ffs. Kept well, though. 4/10
Ali: I'm actually much less convinced by his batting than many people, but given where he bats he does a job. His bowling what it is, it's not reasonable to expect much more and nor is it really his job to do much more. 6/10
Broad: The bowler of the series thus far. Accurate, intelligent, and consistently probing fast bowling, repeatedly posing questions at the batsmen when he's receiving little assistance from either pitch or teammates. I have to admire the clear amount of effort he's putting into his batting too, even if he does still look like he's batting on a hot plate with a stick at times. 8/10
Wood: Not reasonable to expect him to have the weapons or the know-how to remove or contain set world-class batsmen on a pitch like this. Tried hard, though. 4/10
Anderson: If England want to shorten his career as much as possible, they should continue rolling out decks like this. 2/10

Warner: First innings dismissal was ****ing braindead. Second innings doesn't entirely ameliorate that. 5/10
Rogers: Really hope he's okay for the rest of the series. 9/10
Smith: Pretty much the only way to stop him is to win the toss as the oppo captain at this point. 9/10
Clarke: A problem. Hopefully the second innings will help him, but I'm not about to put much stock on that. Captained as he does, particularly enjoyed the dual four slips and four legside catchers at points this afternoon. 4/10
Voges: Also a problem. Should get the next Test, but will want to make a score there. 3/10
MMarsh: I half-expected him to do well, but not like that. Did considerably more than was expected of him (given that the match situation meant that not much was expected - required, more precisely - from him). 7/10
Nevill: Should have gone for that catch this afternoon, otherwise did everything that could have been expected of him. 6/10
Johnson: Superb. Hostile, intelligent, fast bowling. 8/10
Starc: Still doesn't quite know how to get wickets when it's not swinging, but he's not spraying it all over the place at least. 6/10
Haze: The general sentiment is that he didn't bowl as well as he could have, and I'd agree, but still took five at roughly 3/over - the simplicity of his bowling style means that even when he's slightly off, he'll still take a few. 7/10
Lyon: Did his job, did it well. 7/10

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those ratings for the Aussie bowlers don't really add up to the team's bowling performance, which I thought was excellent. Averaging out at 7 when taken as a whole it was at least an 8.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah indeed. There's a case of ratings saturation in play there though, I tend not to give as many really high ratings. There is definitely a case of the attack as a whole functioning as more than the sum of its parts.

I thought hard about giving Johnson a 9/10 tbh (maybe MMarsh an 8?). Him aside, the rest really just did the jobs they were required to do and whilst they didn't excel individually, as a whole it made life very, very unpleasant for the English bats. An insight into how bowling actually works, perhaps - as a whole they're probably near enough to 9/10 considering the pitch.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean the ratings even for the whole side don't accurately reflect the match. I don't think Australia, or any other team, could actually have played a more complete game of cricket than they did.