Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Player Ratings thread

Cook - 7 - perhaps overly generous but captained really, really well.
    Lyth - 3 - got a good nut early in the first dig; 2nd dig concerns me. Jittery start, settled in then just seemed to forget how to score runs and started scratching around.
    Ballance - 6 - ugly, vital runs in the first innings. Stuck around for a hell of a long time, he doesn't do that and England could quite easily have been rolled.
    Bell - 5 - similar to Ballance really aside from the "ugly" tag.
    Root - 9 - would have been frightening if he'd actually been in form. Battered the Australian attack relentlessly despite only getting about 3 shots out of the middle of the bat.
    Stokes - 7 - 2 good innings cut annoyingly short.
    Buttler - 6 - kept well
    Moeen - 9 - Got rid of Smith, Clarke and Warner with his first 3 wickets which is pretty ****ing handy, didn't wilt when attacked and got a pretty handy score in the first innings when it looked like we might have chucked away the chance to get to 400.
    Broad - 8 - pick of the seam bowlers
    Wood - 7 - bowled very well, lovely troll innings in the 2nd dig as well.
    Anderson - 7 - dominated with the new ball and changed the course of the 1st Australian innings with a brilliant old ball spell that went for **** all.

Rogers - 7 - good first innings in testing batting conditions. Really toughed out some excellent new ball bowling, before bizzarely forgetting how to bat once he hit 90.
    Warner - 3 - 2 poor innings. No idea how he got to 50 in the 2nd dig.
    Smith - 5 - really bad first innings dismissal. Will be annoyed to have done the hard work twice before getting out.
    Clarke - 4 - below average captaincy and 2 poor dismissals
    Voges - 4 - poor dismissals
    Watson - 0 - Same old garbage. Floaty nothing bowling, 2 starts before falling over his front pad and reviewing anyway. Could have been literally any Ashes Test from the last 6 years, why is this guy still playing?
    Haddin - 10 - MOTM. Inspired decision to drop Root, not as if those 134 runs made a difference. Shame benchmark00 isn't here to taste it.
    Johnson - 5 - fairly ineffective in the first innings, although that wasn't necessarily down to him bowling badly. Watsonned the 2nd innings with the bat.
    Starc - 6 - didn't look as floaty or hittable as he did 2 years ago, will be a weapon if he stops tossing stuff randomly down the leg side/pretty much off the cut strip.
    Hazlewood - 7 - will probably be Australia's most effective quick this series. Always at the batsmen and can move it.
    Lyon - 7 - pick of Australia's bowlers.
    Daemon likes this.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Haddin's failings coupled with Rogers' world record made it a bad tasting really....
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    I didn't actually see any of Ballance's first innings knock and it may have been one of the worst knocks of all time - but it still set the match up for England. Without it England would possibly have lost. Deserves a better rating than he's been given in this thread imo. 6 or 7 imo.

Cook and Buttler overrated by most imo also. Again didn't see Cook's first innings knock by all accounts sounded like he's thrown the patience game out of the window and his success against NZ and gone positive which seems likely to fail based on his performance in this game. Captained well but he is captain and has been for a while. Both innings Buttler came in in good situations and failed. It happens; Not sure why not dropping anything behind the stumps warrants a 6. Both 5 imo.

Cook looked good first innings until Lyon came on, and then it was weird. I don't expect him to do that again.

1st test

Cook 5.5 - captaincy good, catching good, scored 30 runs which is better than nowt.
    Lyth 4 - Nice positivity in the second innings, but Compton should be there.
    Ballance 6 - Important 50
    Bell 6 - Important 50
    Root 9.5 - He's quite good
    Stokes 7 - Didn't like his bowlingmuch, batting remains focal though
    Buttler 5 - Terrible dismissals, good 'keeping
    Ali 8 -still too many bad balls to be wildly happy about his bowling, would like him to go on for bigger scores too, but in this match, contribution was vital
    Broad 8 - Bit unlucky to only pick up 5
    Wood 8 - gives us something, needs to bat above Broad
    Anderson 7.5 - unspectacular, but good

Warner 4
    Rogers 7.5
    Smith 4
    Clarke 2
    Voges 2
    Watson 3
    Haddin 1
    Johnson 5
    Starc 7
    Hazlewood 8
    Lyon 7
    Last edited by grecian; 12-07-2015 at 04:03 PM. Reason: That was an unfortunate typo
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by tedsheppard View Post
    England:
    Cook - 4/10 He is good at captaining but it stops there in my mind
    Lyth - 3/10 remember 5 is average, he is definitely worse than average
    Ballance - 5/10 getting sixty odd saved him
    Bell - 6/10 given his experience and his sixty I think he is key too england but is out of form
    Root - 9/10 unbreakable
    Stokes - 6/10 can stuff up australias confidence so quickly but his bowling lets him down, terrible action means he slants across pads
    Butler - 4/10 don't rate him at all really batting wise, but at lease he didnt drop the game
    Ali - 8/10 deserves to be a top 6 batsmen, good whilst not being great with the ball but picked up 3 or 4 absolutely key wickets
    Broad - 4/10 wastes the new ball compared to jimmy, can't bat anymore but puts the balls in a good spot and his height is an advantage
    Wood - 4/10 he could be somethying big if someone took him aside and fixed up his run up, currently not so usefull though
    Anderson - 10/10 best swing bowling with that second new ball I have EVER seen, rediculous stuff amazing player and couldnt give two ****s about his batting

Australia
    Rogers - 6/10 good form of late, needs to step up in conditions he has mastered
    Warner - 8/10 amazing player but can throw his wicket away
    Smith - 8/10 inform but will be found out with his technique and once he looses form
    Clarke - 7/10 once was amazing, not amazing anymore but still exceedingly good
    Voges - 3/10 lucky once, needs to go though
    Watson - 6/10 amazing technique, out of form, found out with LBW, good bowler, needs to find a few runs though or he goes
    Haddin - 4/10 dropped that game, out of form with bat, annoyed me a lot how he threw his wicket away in fourth innings when we could have pushed for rain delay and therefore possibly draw
    Johnson - 8/10 great bowler, out of form, batting is good and its nice to see him get runs
    Starc - 6/10 next big thing but hes not phenomenal yet
    Hazlewood - 7/10 also a future star especially if he could find 10 or 15 km more pace
    Lyon - 6/10 great offspiner if the pitch is right for him, but if it isn't though he may be effective his wickets can come from slog artists taking him on which i suppose is from dot ball pressure and all.
    This is a joke surely, highlights of it being Watson getting 2 more marks then Broad and Wood. Wood even got an a bigger innings and wasn't out twice whilst wasting reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    This is a joke surely, highlights of it being Watson getting 2 more marks then Broad and Wood. Wood even got an a bigger innings and wasn't out twice whilst wasting reviews.
    I'm pretty sure those are overall career ratings (they're bad, mind you. Broad a 4?)
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I'm pretty sure those are overall career ratings (they're bad, mind you. Broad a 4?)
    Is it as bad as cooks 4? He's got 27 centuries but he writes "Cook - 4/10 He is good at captaining but it stops there in my mind", even if he think's he's been found out you don't give him a 4 after he's scored the most Test runs in his countries history

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Yeah I forgot he was pretty decent in the second innings. Probably deserves a middling rating. I'm just not moved by his runs - the fields he was batting against showed England certainly weren't
    He actually bowled decently on the first day too. Was a tad unlucky. Bowled crap on day 2 though.

U19 Vice-Captain Biryani Pillow's Avatar
    1st test

Cook 5.5 - captaincy good, catching good, scored 30 runs which is better than nowt.
    Lyth 4 - Nice positivity in the second innings, but Compton should be there.
    Ballance 6 - Important 50
    Bell 6 - Important 50
    Root 9.5 - He's quite good
    Stokes 7 - Didn't like his bowlingmuch, batting remains focal though
    Buttler 5 - Terrible dismissals, good 'keeping
    Ali 8 -still too many bad balls to be wildly happy about his bowling, would like him to go on for bigger scores too, but in this match, contribution was vital
    Broad 8 - Bit unlucky to only pick up 5
    Wood 8 - gives us something, needs to bat above Broad
    Anderson 7.5 - unspectacular, but good

Warner 4
    Rogers 7.5
    Smith 4
    Clarke 2
    Voges 2
    Watson 3
    Haddin 1
    Johnson 5
    Starc 7
    Hazlewood 8
    Lyon 7
    Absolutely no way that Compton should be there.

A journeyman County player who,in his late 20s, suddenly hit a fairly brief purple patch and got a few Tests on the back of that (harking back to the bad old days of picking ordinary 'form' players). had an obvious technical fault which would have been quickly seized upon by better bowlers. He's now 32 and has far from set the world alight in the last two years.

The coming man from Yorkshire is Lees.

Some bizarre comments on this thread already, most notably tedsheppard

Cook 6 - perfect game as captain and some great catches.
    Lyth 5 - Clearly struggled a bit but managed to get some runs in the second dig. Needs to be persevered with
    Ballance 6 - Important but awful looking 50. Not sure we've got his role right yet but like his guts
    Bell 6 - Important 50 but needs to follow it up with a big score in the next game
    Root 9.5 - Best England batsman I've seen in 20-odd years of watching cricket
    Stokes 7 - Good batting, good bowling and looks like he's improving all the time
    Buttler 6 - Disappointing with the bat but kept very well in trying circumstances.
    Ali 7 - got better with the ball as the game went on but still too many runs leaked. Sublime 77 in the frst innings was vital to our total
    Broad 8 - Best he's bowled in a long time
    Wood 8 - star in the making
    Anderson 8 - Worthy of an 8 for his second new ball spell in the first innings alone - majestic

Warner 5 - looks out of sorts but dug in a bit
    Rogers 7 - did very well in the second innings against some very good bowling
    Smith 4 - a return to the Smith of old
    Clarke 3 - captained poorly, batted poorly
    Voges 3 - looked out of his depth
    Watson 3 - should be his last game for Australia
    Haddin 2 - finished
    Johnson 5 - batted very well but bowled poorly on a track that did nothing for him
    Starc 7 - Bowled some absolute beauties aong with some filth. Batted well too
    Hazlewood 7 - very solid
    Lyon 8 - pick of the Aussie attack

Dude. I need to get out of Seattle this weekend. This chick is all over my junk and I've got to get away
    Warner: 4 - Were signs he was going out of form late in India series but seems to have lost it a bit since he gave up the sledging life.
    Rogers: 5 - Probably deserves higher but needs to be doing more, completely lost it when he got into the 90s
    Smith: 3 - Missed a chance day 1, dreadful first innings dismissal
    Clarke: 1 - Hasn't been in form in two years, looked listless in the field
    Voges: 2 - A start thrown away and undone by Wood, doesn't look all that fancy
    LBW: 0 - I'm going to kill myself by locking myself in a sewer pipe during a storm and drowning if he gets selected again
    Haddin: 0 - Dreadful
    Johnson: 2 - Inconsistent and blunt but deserved more after some sharp spells
    Starc: 0 - I know he took 5 wickets but the fact he has learned nothing of cricket that lasts more than a day warrants him no marks.
    Hazlewood: 6 - Probably the only bowler I felt might take a wicket whenever he bowled, a bit wayward on an unhelpful pitch.
    Lyon: 7 - Literally the best bowler, still suffers from delivering trash in between the wicket takers.

Cook: 7 - Needs to go back to gritting out tons, but captaincy and catching was top notch. Best 4 days as captain since India.
    Lyth: 4 - Has promise but looks a tad vulnerable despite his sprightly knock
    Ballance: 5 - Gritted out an important knock but still has the most godawful technique that somehow gets him runs.
    Bell: 5 - Got a good ball then saved probably his career with that second innings. Still handled Lyon in the first innings like a total toss-pot.
    Root: 9 - Dropped a catch in an otherwise flawless match. Root > Smith
    Stokes: 7 - Made contributions everywhere like an all-rounder should.
    Buttler: 5 - Amazingly out-kept Haddin, not great match with bat.
    Moeen: 8 - Took the game away with bat and ball, might be the man who wins the Ashes for England if Root has a miraculous fall of form.
    Wood: 7 - Lacked reward due to at times wayward bowling but was incredibly sharp and wily.
    Broad: 7 - Made contributions without being noticeable.
    Anderson: 7 - Contributions again without being a highlight.

I could probably get hired by SMH for ratings this casual.
    Last edited by Gnske; 13-07-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biryani Pillow View Post
    Absolutely no way that Compton should be there.

A journeyman County player who,in his late 20s, suddenly hit a fairly brief purple patch and got a few Tests on the back of that (harking back to the bad old days of picking ordinary 'form' players). had an obvious technical fault which would have been quickly seized upon by better bowlers. He's now 32 and has far from set the world alight in the last two years.

The coming man from Yorkshire is Lees.
    Wasn't the coming man from Yorkshire, Lyth about 4 months ago. In the end, Compton and cook worked as a partnership, and no-one else since has done much better, in fact all worse really.
    Last edited by grecian; 13-07-2015 at 09:07 PM.

U19 Vice-Captain Biryani Pillow's Avatar
    Wasn't the coming man from Yorkshire, Lyth about 4 months ago. In the end, Compton and cook worked as a partnership, and no-one else since has done much better, in fact all worse really.
    A couple of years back I was talking to two people reasonably high up in Yorkshire cricket (and both ex FC players).

I posed the question who in the current Yorkshire ranks, and up and coming, did they see as top players.

Root was already going pretty well but they both said the Lees was a better player than Lyth and reckoned he was destined for a long, successful Test career. They also reckoned Fisher, the seamer, would be very good if not rushed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    That's just a measure of who was batting well at the time though. Lyth was meant to be the next big thing about 5 years ago, Boycott was singing is praises and he was playing for the Lions. Then he had a crap season in 2011 and people forgot about him for a bit.
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information