• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes blog

Riggins

International Captain
For a while now I've been meaning to try my hand at a bit of cricket writing. I've got a few ideas for topics that I think could be interesting. No idea if other people would, and I've got no writing background whatsoever so it's bound to be pretty ****, at least to start with. I'd originally thought about writing out a few pre-Ashes thoughts - I've been super busy at work though so never really got around to it. I did manage to finish one piece in a bit of down time today. I doubt anyone would think it's any good - but if anyone is super bored and want to have a read then I'd love the page views and any comments.

Reverse Tang

I also don't know if posting this is against the rules, but oh well. Sorry if so.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Great stuff. Drop the swearing (even though it's funny), keep the gifs (which are a great idea), and I could see this type of one on one analysis being of real interest to some online media outlets. Well done.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Great stuff. Liked the Gifs and footnotes.

The Rogers 83/84 debut thing, thats a typo yeah? Re-read to work out if it was a subtle joke.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Definitely subscribing. One of my favourite football writers uses lots of gifs and it works really well. Good stuff.

Riggins

International Captain
Thanks for the reads and the comments guys. I'm pretty happy with it for a first post. Just hoping like **** that SMarsh doesn't get the nod ahead of Rogers.

good stuff budd #streetsahead
>enjoyed it
>easy to read
>in depth analysis
>gifs were useful
>neat
Great stuff. Drop the swearing (even though it's funny), keep the gifs (which are a great idea), and I could see this type of one on one analysis being of real interest to some online media outlets. Well done.
Thanks guys.

Monky I swear lots all the time. YOU CANT CHANGE ME!! Nah I know what you mean, highly doubt any actual media outlet would want it though.

Definitely subscribing. One of my favourite football writers uses lots of gifs and it works really well. Good stuff.
Thanks mate. I have no idea how subscriptions or indeed the vast majority of the blogger site works at this stage.

The Samuels review is so great. Still.
I don't know how but I missed it at the time. Amazing.

Great stuff. Liked the Gifs and footnotes.

The Rogers 83/84 debut thing, thats a typo yeah? Re-read to work out if it was a subtle joke.
Think it's just a joke about his age.
Yeah it was meant to be an old man joke. I couldn't really find a great way to phrase it. I'd like to eventually link the footnotes to the specific sections but nfi how it's done.

Gob

International Coach
Nothing wrong with swearing imo. Cricketwithballs from Jarrod Kimber is my favorite cricket related blog and he swears a lot.

ajdude

International Coach
look i support this because i now have a new twitter follower who isn't a bot for once

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Would you prefer discussion on the actual content of the blog in this thread or in the comments section of your blog?

Riggins

International Captain
I don't mind. I don't actually know how the comments section works at this stage but yolo.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was just going to talk about how Rogers sets up, which makes Anderson less dangerous from over the wicket than to other left handers.

Rogers turns his back foot so that it points slightly behind sqaure; this locks his back leg off and ensures he only plays the ball under the eyes. Try it with some throw downs, stops you from getting any power from your back leg and keeps you playing the ball later.

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 9.56.29 pm.png

Anderson from over the wicket tends to draw edges from guys who push their hands out past their pad, with braced front legs. Rogers is very good at keeping his front leg slightly flexed (often gives the appearance of walking into the ball) but also means that he defends balls on the stumps in front of his pad, making it easier to defend the ball that swings back into him from that angle.

Anderson is probably most dangerous to Rogers with the wobbly seam outside off, trying to get a little tickle like the middle gif of his dismissals. All three of the dismissals also rely on Rogers overbalancing. In general, think that Broad with his smaller amounts of movement and extra bounce is probably a greater threat to Rogers, especially early.

Riggins

International Captain
Totally agree with regards to the technical point.

I also think Broad should cause more problems when he gets his length right and a bit of nibble both ways - Rogers just never seems to be too troubled by him though. Broad's also got him 3 times like Anderson, but that includes a short & wide ball slapped to point and a leading edge on a short ball.

Going through his old Ashes dismissals it's crazy how much Swann dominated him. With the cliff-like drop off from him to Ali it will be really interesting to see if Rogers can push on and make some big ones instead of just 50s and 60s.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I was surprised to find this was not bad, in fact it was good, unlike this post, which I have rewritten a few times and have given up making coherent