• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes blog

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't really agree with this part

riggs said:
If he needs to bring more modes of dismissal into the equation, Anderson has two basic options. Firstly, he can choose to bend the ball both ways more regularly, an option not available to many bowlers.
Surely this is the plan A? The whole reason Anderson uses his inswinger as the stock ball to move away from the leftie is because he can and does bring it back in.

0:31 here - https://youtu.be/6C638MbsU-A?t=30

Riggins

International Captain
That video is geo-blocked in Australia but I assume I know what you mean.

Of course he can use the ball swinging back into the lefty but he seems to try and save them and bowl it very rarely. The more frequently he uses it, the less of a weapon it becomes.If his stock ball going away from the left hander is non-threatening and you can sit back and wait for that one coming back in, then that also is much easier to negotiate.

I agree with you that the 'over the wicket, swing it away and occasionally bring one back in at the pegs' is his Plan A to most guys, as it would and should be to Warner. I just don't think it's going to be as effective to Rogers. He bowled almost exclusively around the wicket to him by the end of the last series and wouldn't at all be surprised to see him do the same here.

Again its just a prediction though, it could go horribly horribly wrong. :goof:

I was surprised to find this was not bad
Also this was kinda harsh!

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
Unrelated: trying to be clear wrt inswing/outswing to left/right handers is so ****ing annoying.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That video is geo-blocked in Australia but I assume I know what you mean.

Of course he can use the ball swinging back into the lefty but he seems to try and save them and bowl it very rarely. The more frequently he uses it, the less of a weapon it becomes.If his stock ball going away from the left hander is non-threatening and you can sit back and wait for that one coming back in, then that also is much easier to negotiate.

I agree with you that the 'over the wicket, swing it away and occasionally bring one back in at the pegs' is his Plan A to most guys, as it would and should be to Warner. I just don't think it's going to be as effective to Rogers. He bowled almost exclusively around the wicket to him by the end of the last series and wouldn't at all be surprised to see him do the same here.

Again its just a prediction though, it could go horribly horribly wrong. :goof:

Also this was kinda harsh!
Yup, the one moving away he sees as a massive weapon, and it's nullified when most balls are swinging in. He bowls in a way that is eyecatching but not necessarily the most effective - still think the best I've seen him bowl is that series in Australia, where he just got little bits of movement each way.