• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the SWALEC Stadium

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
O come on guys. I can understand the disappointment when a drop costs you 134 runs; but Haddin is still a world-class keeper. His batting has not been test standard at all lately - so I can understand the call for a drop due to that. But he can't be dropped for the keeping reason alone at the moment. His keeping has been quality yesterday apart from the drop. Sure, it doesn't make up for the 134 runs. But when you make a selection decision, you do it for the future and not for how many runs the last missed chance cost you - and he's not likely to miss such a chance everyday.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Nah disagree. Even guys who bring it back in you see far more outside edges.
Tend to think otherwise. Blokes edging them to pad,getting dragged on,french cutting seem far more familiar with the in swing than genuine out side edges
I think Johnson is capable of cleaning the tail.
Usually with the use of the short ball which is pretty pointless here

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
O come on guys. I can understand the disappointment when a drop costs you 134 runs; but Haddin is still a world-class keeper. His batting has not been test standard at all lately - so I can understand the call for a drop due to that. But he can't be dropped for the keeping reason alone at the moment. His keeping has been quality yesterday apart from the drop. Sure, it doesn't make up for the 134 runs. But when you make a selection decision, you do it for the future and not for how many runs the last missed chance cost you - and he's not likely to miss such a chance everyday.
I watch a lot of Australia's cricket, and you're incorrect. Haddin has been bad, truly bad, for a while. He fumbles often and has missed a startling number of regulation stumpings over recent times.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Blokes edging them to pad,getting dragged on,french cutting seem far more familiar with the in swing than genuine out side edges
Yeah this is true but from a keeping perspective, you'll still be dealing with outside edges a lot more than inside edges. If a bloke edges it onto his pad or chops it on to the stumps then the ball doesn't arrive to the keeper at all.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah this is true but from a keeping perspective, you'll still be dealing with outside edges a lot more than inside edges. If a bloke edges it onto his pad or chops it on to the stumps then the ball doesn't arrive to the keeper at all.
Yup, every Australian keeper taught to take the ball on the inside for this reason, even from inswingers.

OverratedSanity

I've honestly never rated Haddin's keeping. Even in the India vs Aus series a while back, there were a few catches that went down at first slip which were Haddin's to take. Especially the one Watson dropped off Kohli I think. He made up for those by grabbing some spectacular looking diving catches but it doesn't actually compensate in reality. Without a good contribution with the bat, I don't see the point of him in the team. You'd rather have Wade if you were ok with a sloppy keeper as long as he scored a bit. Haddin is doing neither.

OverratedSanity

I think Johnson is capable of cleaning the tail.
Starc inswinging yorkers from over the wicket>>>>>MJ bouncers on a slow pitch.

I'm surprised Johnson didn't bowl some of his awesome off cutters yesterday, or did he? Think it could've been very effective.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I've honestly never rated Haddin's keeping. Even in the India vs Aus series a while back, there were a few catches that went down at first slip which were Haddin's to take. Especially the one Watson dropped off Kohli I think. He made up for those by grabbing some spectacular looking diving catches but it doesn't actually compensate in reality. Without a good contribution with the bat, I don't see the point of him in the team. You'd rather have Wade if you were ok with a sloppy keeper as long as he scored a bit. Haddin is doing neither.
I never used to until his last series in England, although iirc he stopped one first day then too. But came back with the best movement behind the stumps I've seen since Healy. As you say though it's been a bit garbage at times

Gob

International Coach
Yes of course. I was responding to Riggins who said in swing tend to get more out side edges and i didn't say anything about the inside edges carrying to the keeper.

Gob

International Coach
Andrew Ramsey ‏@ARamseyCricket 4m4 minutes ago
Starc has bowled half a dozen deliveries under the watch of team doctor, they exchange back slaps and he heads back to the Aust rooms