• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

8th thread - pick the Aus attack at Cardiff

Pick the attack

• Total voters

Antihippy

International Debutant
Nah if we're talking about ceilings Johnson's is insanely high, which he has reached a couple of times already. Problem is that he's either at the ceiling or at the basement. Consistency hadn't been his greatest trait.

Dundalis

Cricket Spectator
Nah if we're talking about ceilings Johnson's is insanely high, which he has reached a couple of times already. Problem is that he's either at the ceiling or at the basement. Consistency hadn't been his greatest trait.
Starc's ceiling is unreached, except perhaps in ODI's. Johnson has reached his and isn't going to get any better, in fact he will probably start to decline. Starc can do everything Johnson can with more height, bounce and swing, and can still improve. Ceiling not close to being reached.

Spark

Global Moderator
johnson was 140kph non-swinging pies for quite a while. Definitely didn't have as many tools as Starc has now at the same age.
He's always had vicious bounce off a length when bowling well, though, which is probably the most valuable asset any bowler can have.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
He's always had vicious bounce off a length when bowling well, though, which is probably the most valuable asset any bowler can have.
Yeah I guess starc is the inverse. People were always talking about how Johnson needed to find movement, which starc has in bucketloads. Meanwhile the main thing starc is lacking is a heavier ball, which Johnson has naturally.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, of all the critiques of Johnson, he's not a guy who could ever really be described as 'floaty'.

Gob

International Coach
Yeah I guess starc is the inverse. People were always talking about how Johnson needed to find movement, which starc has in bucketloads. Meanwhile the main thing starc is lacking is a heavier ball, which Johnson has naturally.
what do you prefer? heavy balls or light balls?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It looked oretty heavy on a flat deck at Chelmsford. Christ he bowls quick.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got to be Starc, Mj, Haze and Lyon with MMarsh IMO. But I think they might run with Watto.

Frakstar

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
you know they're going to pick Watson.....unbelievable really...when a sh*tty 8 overs from him mean more than a 3rd Mitch in the team :happy:

we're yorkshire

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I really can't believe you guys would drop Starc for Johnson. If Harris hadn't retired I'd of definitely dropped Johnson. Hes by far and away the weak link of the bowling attack, unless you give him the perfect track to bowl on, which England clearly aren't going to do.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Starc gets people excited because one of his 2 stock balls is 'full, unplayable 90mph swinging thunderbolt'. Unfortunately his other stock ball he bowls most often is 'dross'.

He'll be a weapon once he sorts that.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It doesn't look like Johnson is going to be the kind of wicket-taker that he can be because of the pitches. Given that, having MMarsh in the side ahead of Watto makes more sense than before, and really should be enough for the change to be made.