Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Commentary Thread

BT having the rights to Australian home games is surely different to Sky covering English away games?
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    BT having the rights to Australian home games is surely different to Sky covering English away games?
    This is a good point actually. Sky have rights to all England away games, even in places like the UAE where they don't have the rights to any other international cricket.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Pretty sure they can both broadcast in that case.

Picking up the Australian rights is a good sign in terms of where they're going with their coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Where do BT get all this money from? I will probably finally have to get it. I doubt it will be better coverage, Robbie Savage will probably be part of it.
    Having a monopoly on telephone lines means they've got billions in the bank.

Well I assume they have the rights to all England away games. That might end before the next Ashes though, I dunno. It wouldn't be a big deal if they could both show it as most would choose Sky who are trusted quality in this case.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Do sky have a deal for away games though? Surely they have to deal with each board individually.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Do sky have a deal for away games though? Surely they have to deal with each board individually.
    They currently have deals to show all stuff in India, Australia, South Africa, West Indies and New Zealand. They don't for countries like Sri Lanka or the UAE, hence them not showing SL v India. But they still show every England away game, such as the upcoming UAE series. So for those countries they either only bother to get the rights for each individual series or they have a thing to show all England games, regardless of where they're played. I don't know which.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    They currently have deals to show all stuff in India, Australia, South Africa, West Indies and New Zealand. They don't for countries like Sri Lanka or the UAE, hence them not showing SL v India. But they still show every England away game, such as the upcoming UAE series. So for those countries they either only bother to get the rights for each individual series or they have a thing to show all England games, regardless of where they're played. I don't know which.
    Yeah I think they pay for the series

Things could have changed but in 06 the series in India was officially not being shown until a couple of weeks before because they hadn't come to terms with sky/local broadcasters

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Well for the away Ashes they do their own production instead of sticking the Sky logo in the corner of C9's feed that they do for all other Australian games.

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Having a monopoly on telephone lines means they've got billions in the bank.
    Fair point.

But still seems a lot of money for overnight cricket. I mean getting the IPL made so much sense, but who in the UK is going to be arsed to watch non Ashes test cricket at that time of the morning?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information