• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2015 Ashes in England

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Let's go with: he is a very good fielder and that adds to his value as a player, in addition to whatever runs/wickets he may contribute.

Compton

International Debutant
To those criticising the number, how would you have had me calculate it? It's immeasurable.

Anyway, he's not in the squad, and we all know that Clarke and Voges can combine to make a Lyon, so it's all good cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If you want to factor in fielding you can't really do it like that imo. You look at what he'd add as compared to the next best alternative player. If Maxwell is replacing an excellent fielder than is he really going to be saving 25 more runs through ground fielding?
Maxwell would be replacing Lyon at point, who is a serviceable Test fielder. He'd be worth 25 runs over a Test match at point, IMO.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Nathan lyon's fielding is really under-rated. I reckon he's the next best after the usual guns (warner, clarke, smith).

adub

International Captain
It's one thing I've always praised Lyon for. His fielding for someone who you wouldn't call a natural athlete is excellent. Takes some super catches and obviously works really hard on his fielding.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Right, who wants to go back and start grabbing all the over confident quotes from the Australians in the lead-up to the series?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Right, who wants to go back and start grabbing all the over confident quotes from the Australians in the lead-up to the series?
In fairness I think had we known Harris would miss I reckon some of us would be a fair bit less confident.

Not sure there was that much ****iness ITBT. Maybe from TheJediBrah types.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In fairness I think had we known Harris would miss I reckon some of us would be a fair bit less confident.

Not sure there was that much ****iness ITBT. Maybe from TheJediBrah types.
No, I meant specifically from the players.

E.g. Smith's "England won't get near us"