• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2015 Ashes in England

Compton

International Debutant
How do you calculate him being worth 25 runs in the field?
25 was just a number I pulled from guesswork.

Stopping balls that would otherwise go through, getting balls back to stumps quicker to avoid batsmen running an extra run, taking good catches, run outs etc. He's one of the best fielders in the world, he's worth runs in the field.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
25 was just a number I pulled from guesswork.

Stopping balls that would otherwise go through, getting balls back to stumps quicker to avoid batsmen running an extra run, taking good catches, run outs etc. He's one of the best fielders in the world, he's worth runs in the field.
Thing is, that's a hell of a lot of things that would need to happen for 25 runs to be reached. For example, how many extra balls would he actually stop in the infield that others wouldn't? Not that many I'd wager.

If he's in the infield, there no "extra runs" to save.

Compton

International Debutant
Thing is, that's a hell of a lot of things that would need to happen for 25 runs to be reached. For example, how many extra balls would he actually stop in the infield that others wouldn't? Not that many I'd wager.

Of course there are. Stopping balls that others wouldn't stop. Catching things other fielders wouldn't catch. 25 runs over the course of a test match is only 3 boundaries per innings and a couple of sharp pick ups.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But how many of these stops would he actually make? And how many of these "boundary saves" wouldn't just be singles or twos to the sweeper on the boundary? Chances are that if the stop is that good, the batsmen get a single anyway.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Even the worlds best ground fielder is going to have less effect in a Test than a short format game. So many more overs are bowled and individual stops are less likely to have a big impact. How many tests would 25 runs impact the result? Not many.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Assuming 25 is an "average" figure, it's realistic IMO. Taking a good catch here and there can be worth heaps. If we had a decent keeper in Edgbaston there's probably 150+ runs saved there alone. Same with run outs.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Palladino to ton up for Derbyshire IMO.
82, so I wasn't far off.

Debut him in the Test IMO, there are certainly worse bowlers around and he always makes runs against the Aussies (plus will stamp out any match fixing). WAG.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Assuming 25 is an "average" figure, it's realistic IMO. Taking a good catch here and there can be worth heaps. If we had a decent keeper in Edgbaston there's probably 150+ runs saved there alone. Same with run outs.
It's a number plucked out of thin air as it is impossible to quantify such things. For example catches, how many catches really do go through the covers?

Compton

International Debutant
I'm genuinely surprised someone is questioning if a world class fielder can be worth 25 runs across a Test Match. I thought it was on the modest side of reasonable...

TheJediBrah

It's a number plucked out of thin air as it is impossible to quantify such things. For example catches, how many catches really do go through the covers?
Obviously. But as an estimate it seems relatively accurate at first glance, if anything a but conservative.

Daemon

If you want to factor in fielding you can't really do it like that imo. You look at what he'd add as compared to the next best alternative player. If Maxwell is replacing an excellent fielder than is he really going to be saving 25 more runs through ground fielding?