• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2015 Ashes in England

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yes and no. The number of runs and that he scored in a variety of circumstances and conditions should hold him in good stead but I don't think his play outside off stump was really tested this year and Anderson could wreck him. Still think he tends to fence. If he scores against the counties he'll be in with a massive chance but in no way should he be a shoe-in even if he plays in the WI.
So basically Bailey with more Shield runs?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yes and no. The number of runs and that he scored in a variety of circumstances and conditions should hold him in good stead but I don't think his play outside off stump was really tested this year and Anderson could wreck him. Still think he tends to fence. If he scores against the counties he'll be in with a massive chance but in no way should he be a shoe-in even if he plays in the WI.
tbf he doesn't have to be great, just better than shaun marsh.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Depends on who bats around either of them for mine. If Smith is nailed on at 3, any combination from 4-7 is looking a bit thin at the moment.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be honest, every Indian side would have looked better with Dravid at 5 instead of 3 too... But it is not always about how it looks, is it? Now, if you are saying you are still not sure if he can do the job of being solid at 3 given that his technique being so unorthodox is prone to unravel quicker than the traditional ones, I will agree.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Mate, seeing that we had watson at three before I'm sure technique is not a criteria the selectors look at.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As much as I like Bailey, surely he has to be replaced by one of Marsh and Voges. I would like to see the veteran being given a shot.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Rogers
Warner
Watson
Smith
Marsh
Burns

Is what we had last up in Sydney. Clarke comes in and Smith moves up to 3 displacing Watson.

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Marsh/Voges
Watson

I'm thinking this is what we will see to start with in the WI. I suppose Watson could bat 4 then you get Clarke at 5 and Marsh can hide at 6 but I'm hoping they just put Watson at 6. Tell him he bats there and is competing with MMarsh/Forkers/Moz etc for the allrounder spot.

Since Marsh is crap outside off having questions over Voges corridor play doesn't seem to be strong enough to rule out his shield runs IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mate, seeing that we had watson at three before I'm sure technique is not a criteria the selectors look at.

Well, you are preaching to the choir here.. I think he should bat at 3 too. I am just suggesting that if an argument were to be made that he should bat lower down, I would rather see it being made because of perceived technical fitment to batting at 3 rather than saying "the team would look stronger on paper" if he were listed down at 5... :)

Daemon

These anti voges sentiments remind me of the anti rogers ones and rogers turned out alright so I'm not going to trust your lots assessments again.

Top_Cat

To be honest, every Indian side would have looked better with Dravid at 5 instead of 3 too... But it is not always about how it looks, is it? Now, if you are saying you are still not sure if he can do the job of being solid at 3 given that his technique being so unorthodox is prone to unravel quicker than the traditional ones, I will agree.
Except I never said he shouldn't bat at 3. I think he should. But it remains that 4-7 is a bit of an unknown quantity for the Ashes.

TheJediBrah

These anti voges sentiments remind me of the anti rogers ones and rogers turned out alright so I'm not going to trust your lots assessments again.
meh not really

Rogers hasn't been a complete disaster but I wouldn't call him a huge success either

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A bit, but to be fair we probably wish Bradman was still 27 too...

Wasn't the batsman at 27 that he was at 37, so you take what you get.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, especially considering how bad Australia's batting was when he came in.
Yeah he's been exactly what Australia have needed. Has helped Warner settle in at the top of the order, imagine if there had been an England-esque revolving door.

Just wish that Hughes had had a summer at 3 to bed in at the top before moving up once Rodgers called it a day.