• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Jos Buttler put a case for a test place forward?

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Hi all,

Buttler is consistently getting runs in ODI and T20 cricket, and with Prior and Bairstow not looking up to scratch as of late I was wondering if you guys think he should be given a chance? Averages low 30's in FC cricket which granted is lower than Prior's (39) and Bairstow's (40) averages in FC cricket. I think with his move to Lancashire to become the first choice keeper it won't be long until we see this guy in the test side.

Thoughts?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Nah. Most of us who'd seen him play in one day cricket for Somerset knew he could be potentially a very good ODI player. He was simply outstanding and way above basically every one else in 40 over county cricket. He hasn't shown anywhere near the same aptitude in 4 day cricket. Looks dodgy vs medium- quick bowling just outside the offstump a bit like Bailey. His one days skills don't translate brilliantly to 4 day cricket- talented tho he is.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, in the same way that Morgan hasn't by scoring a ton today. Buttler has to go to Lancs and score heavily in first class cricket and show he can build an innings before he should be considered for the test side.

theegyptian

I disagree with the people talking common-sense, put him in, it'll be fun.
Ha. After a couple of overs of Rankin bowling in the final test I was left agreeing with you that maybe we should have played Tymal Mills. I would have bet on him doing better than Tremlett, Rankin and FInn did. Least Mills had some form.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Of course he has. The boy's clearly an exceptional talent. He plays straight and the funky shots come from the foundations of a solid technique.

Yes, chaps like Taylor and Bairstow average more in FC cricket, but both have glaring flaws that are going to be exposed at the highest level. I'd have him in with or without the gloves.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ha. After a couple of overs of Rankin bowling in the final test I was left agreeing with you that maybe we should have played Tymal Mills. I would have bet on him doing better than Tremlett, Rankin and FInn did. Least Mills had some form.
Thing is they'll probably debut Mills in an ODI where he'll get slaughtered. When was the last pace bowler who made his England debut in Tests. Woakes was the most obvious person who should have skipped that, yet it's how we do things. Not sure it's wise.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Thing is they'll probably debut Mills in an ODI where he'll get slaughtered. When was the last pace bowler who made his England debut in Tests. Woakes was the most obvious person who should have skipped that, yet it's how we do things. Not sure it's wise.
Steven Finn. As incredible as that is.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah. Most of us who'd seen him play in one day cricket for Somerset knew he could be potentially a very good ODI player. He was simply outstanding and way above basically every one else in 40 over county cricket. He hasn't shown anywhere near the same aptitude in 4 day cricket. Looks dodgy vs medium- quick bowling just outside the offstump a bit like Bailey. His one days skills don't translate brilliantly to 4 day cricket- talented tho he is.
There's a big difference between picking a batsman to bat 6 and a wicket keeper batsman to bat 7, IMO. Bailey's skills as a batsman would be fine if he were selected as a keeper, or maybe even an allrounder, IMO.

theegyptian

There's a big difference between picking a batsman to bat 6 and a wicket keeper batsman to bat 7, IMO. Bailey's skills as a batsman would be fine if he were selected as a keeper, or maybe even an allrounder, IMO.
I agree with the first part but given we've brought in Stokes and he looks likely for a long go at 6 or 7 we could really do with a solid conventional wk/batsmen. Given the rest of the top 5 looks a bit up in the air gambling on Buttler seems like one gamble too far. Not convinced about the second part.

Buttler may well get there and he does have star talent but I'd be a lot more confident with him at 7 in our team two years ago when the top 6 looked solid than today.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with the first part but given we've brought in Stokes and he looks likely for a long go at 6 or 7 we could really do with a solid conventional wk/batsmen. Given the rest of the top 5 looks a bit up in the air gambling on Buttler seems like one gamble too far. Not convinced about the second part.

Buttler may well get there and he does have star talent but I'd be a lot more confident with him at 7 in our team two years ago when the top 6 looked solid than today.
Maybe I'm over-reacting to the Ashes but to me it's worth having a bit of short-mid-term brittleness in the batting line-up if it means you can develop these guys. Roughly a year ago not many of us rated Haddin as a solid batsman. Or Steve Smith. Australia have managed to win a few tests with a very brittle top 6 so it might be worth it.

Of course if you really wanted to you could play Stokes as a bowling allrounder and have one of him or Buttler bat at 8 so you can pick another batsman. Which is actually pretty feasible given that Stokes has already proven he's capable of bowling as a 3rd seamer.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe I'm over-reacting to the Ashes but to me it's worth having a bit of short-mid-term brittleness in the batting line-up if it means you can develop these guys. Roughly a year ago not many of us rated Haddin as a solid batsman. Or Steve Smith. Australia have managed to win a few tests with a very brittle top 6 so it might be worth it.

Of course if you really wanted to you could play Stokes as a bowling allrounder and have one of him or Buttler bat at 8 so you can pick another batsman. Which is actually pretty feasible given that Stokes has already proven he's capable of bowling as a 3rd seamer.
I'd like to see England with 4 seamers when Stokes plays, I think only having 3 seamers regardless of who they are is going to lead to get periods of innocuousness/injury sooner rather than later - obviously if an injury happens during the match you're in trouble. So you can maybe do it very occasionally, but I don't think it'll work for longer than that. There's also the fact that whoever England pick to bat probably isn't going to do that well anyway, so you may as well play to your strengths - bowling. England will have that brittleness for a while regardless.

The 4 seamers for this Spring/Summer should be quite simple really - Anderson, Broad, Onions and Stokes. The only way Onions shouldn't play is if England are hell bent on a spinner who can't bat and need a stronger tail. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rayner get picked if he does well with the Lions (if he ends up replacing Kerrigan in the squad).

Last edited: