Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Has Jos Buttler put a case for a test place forward?

Quote Originally Posted by alw1971 View Post
    Bairstow, Buttler, Kieswetter all attacking players but in the main inconsistent. Kieswetter must be in with a chance with experience opening batting. Rather him open near top rather than Cook or Root in Limited overs.

Why not play all 3 ??????????
    Guessing Because Kieswetter has been rubbish when he's done it.

I stand by what I often witter about Kieswetter is a much better First-class bat than limited-overs, but he can't keep. Really think he should have concentrated on being a batsman, and let Jos have the gloves, would have been the best for somerset, England and the two players.

Yet that boat has sailed, I'm not bitter though
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Agree Stokes should not be a 3rd seamer but as a 4th bowler I think he would be fine. Lets just pick the mighty beard. This way we can pick Buttler.

Cook
    Robson
    Ali
    Pietersen
    Bell
    Ballance
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Broad
    Anderson
    Onions

I actually am in favour of Prior coming back if he shows county form but I like this side

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Agree Stokes should not be a 3rd seamer but as a 4th bowler I think he would be fine. Lets just pick the mighty beard. This way we can pick Buttler.

Cook
    Robson
    Ali
    Pietersen
    Bell
    Ballance
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Broad
    Anderson
    Onions

I actually am in favour of Prior coming back if he shows county form but I like this side
    Ali and Buttler, sometimes I just feel your a better version of me

That side was just for you.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Get a room dickheads

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Given the other alternatives for the spinner question, why not stick with Borthwick for a few games at least? He didn't look Test standard in Sydney, but none of the spinners being talked about are any likely to do better tbh. Rayner's a less-effective version of Borthwick IMO.

I reckon Borthwick has potential with both bat and ball - decent enough, uncomplicated action and in the second dig he showed quite a bit of promise when he got it in the right spots.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Given the other alternatives for the spinner question, why not stick with Borthwick for a few games at least? He didn't look Test standard in Sydney, but none of the spinners being talked about are any likely to do better tbh. Rayner's a less-effective version of Borthwick IMO.

I reckon Borthwick has potential with both bat and ball - decent enough, uncomplicated action and in the second dig he showed quite a bit of promise when he got it in the right spots.
    Noooo! More or less the exact opposite as a bowler. Borthwick, as is tyro leggies' wont, will serve up an awful lot of dross but might produce the occasional magic ball.

Ollie's very much a traditional English finger spinner. Keeps it tight and is more likely to deceive batsman with his subtle semi-variations than any massive turn. Also has the virtue of being tall, so can get decent bounce too, when conditions suit.

Rayner doesn't actually put much work on the ball, certainly nothing like Swann or even Panesar, but I think his MO probably suits England better than Borthwick's.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 19-01-2014 at 12:32 AM.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Noooo! More or less the exact opposite as a bowler. Borthwick, as is tyro leggies' wont, will serve up an awful lot of dross but might produce the occasional magic ball.

Ollie's very much a traditional English finger spinner. Keeps it tight and is more likely to deceive batsman with his subtle semi-variations than any massive turn. Also has the virtue of being tall, so can get decent bounce too, when conditions suit.

Rayner doesn't actually put much work on the ball, certainly nothing like Swann or even Panesar, but I think his MO probably suits England better than Borthwick's.
    Yeah, that was poorly worded. Meant it in more of a "spinner not expected to do much with the ball, but be a good #8 batsman and decent enough in the field" way, not referring to their style of bowling. Rayner's selection would strike me as a second coming of Ashley Giles, and FMD I do not want another Giles in international cricket. Would rather see them stick by Borthwick after a passable debut than go down the Australia route of "pick every spinner in the country even if they're a batsman".

Then again, I do like (and rate) Borthwick more than the average CWer (PEWS or NUFAN to confirm).

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Geez, really not convinced of Ollie Rayner for test cricket. Would probably keep it tight, but doubt he'd at all be a wicket taking threat.

Would prefer him over Borhtwick though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Dan
    Ok looking at his FC record now, he's got a far better bowling average than I remembered. Thought he was up around the 35-36 mark and had one good year, not that his record was actually passable.

Just brings more ammunition to the 'lol England aren't English' brigade though, being born in Germany and whatnot

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Thought he was up around the 35-36 mark and had one good year
    To be fair this is pretty much exactly what happened.

2006-2012: 126 wickets @ 35.58
    2013: 46 wickets @ 22.02

The one good year just did wonders for his overall record.

He seemed to have visibly improved when I saw him bowl last season though; higher in his action to make better use of his height, and was getting a lot more overspin on the ball too. I'm faaaar from convinced he'd be Test standard and I don't think I'd pick him, but I don't think he'd be an Ashley Giles esque defensive game pauser as such either unless he was just used really poorly.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 19-01-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    How could you think he'd be anything but poorly used.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Playing Borthwick is like us sticking with Steve Smith as a pure bowler a few years ago.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    correctly keeping the faith?
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Buttler is a Lancashire player now - England can gagf
    Made up Buttler has joined Lancs but spare a thought for Gareth Cross, btw any idea what he will be doing next season?
    GIMH likes this.
    Cricket Spectator

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information