Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Has Jos Buttler put a case for a test place forward?

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Buttler is a Lancashire player now - England can gagf

Not until he plays for them, he can still see the light, I have faith.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    I agree with the first part but given we've brought in Stokes and he looks likely for a long go at 6 or 7 we could really do with a solid conventional wk/batsmen. Given the rest of the top 5 looks a bit up in the air gambling on Buttler seems like one gamble too far. Not convinced about the second part.

Buttler may well get there and he does have star talent but I'd be a lot more confident with him at 7 in our team two years ago when the top 6 looked solid than today.
    Maybe I'm over-reacting to the Ashes but to me it's worth having a bit of short-mid-term brittleness in the batting line-up if it means you can develop these guys. Roughly a year ago not many of us rated Haddin as a solid batsman. Or Steve Smith. Australia have managed to win a few tests with a very brittle top 6 so it might be worth it.

Of course if you really wanted to you could play Stokes as a bowling allrounder and have one of him or Buttler bat at 8 so you can pick another batsman. Which is actually pretty feasible given that Stokes has already proven he's capable of bowling as a 3rd seamer.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Buttler is a Lancashire player now - England can gagf
    Endorsement or renouncement?

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Maybe I'm over-reacting to the Ashes but to me it's worth having a bit of short-mid-term brittleness in the batting line-up if it means you can develop these guys. Roughly a year ago not many of us rated Haddin as a solid batsman. Or Steve Smith. Australia have managed to win a few tests with a very brittle top 6 so it might be worth it.

Of course if you really wanted to you could play Stokes as a bowling allrounder and have one of him or Buttler bat at 8 so you can pick another batsman. Which is actually pretty feasible given that Stokes has already proven he's capable of bowling as a 3rd seamer.
    I'd like to see England with 4 seamers when Stokes plays, I think only having 3 seamers regardless of who they are is going to lead to get periods of innocuousness/injury sooner rather than later - obviously if an injury happens during the match you're in trouble. So you can maybe do it very occasionally, but I don't think it'll work for longer than that. There's also the fact that whoever England pick to bat probably isn't going to do that well anyway, so you may as well play to your strengths - bowling. England will have that brittleness for a while regardless.

The 4 seamers for this Spring/Summer should be quite simple really - Anderson, Broad, Onions and Stokes. The only way Onions shouldn't play is if England are hell bent on a spinner who can't bat and need a stronger tail. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rayner get picked if he does well with the Lions (if he ends up replacing Kerrigan in the squad).
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 17-01-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    hendrix likes this.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by wiff View Post
    Endorsement or renouncement?
    Both, tbh

Flower and Gooch would ruin Buttler, he would be scoring 15 off 70 balls before you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooky Monster View Post
    Flower and Gooch would ruin Buttler, he would be scoring 15 off 70 balls before you know it.
    There's only so much you can blame the coaches and the captain for the batsmen's failures. It's getting rather tiring tbh.
    marc71178 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    There's only so much you can blame the coaches and the captain for the batsmen's failures. It's getting rather tiring tbh.
    Yeah this.......3 years ago Flower and Gooch were geniuses, now they destroy batsmen

As for the subject....Prior will be back, of that I'm confident. NFI where we look once he is finished, but I don't think that time has come just yet. A more pressing concern is where do we find a spinner?

Gooch was useless when he was batting coach at Durham, don't know what he's done to warrant a reputation from his time with Essex or England. Essex are a team with a lot of talent going nowhere and achieving nothing.

About the only thing you could credit him with is batsmen going on to score really big hundreds, but now they can't even score hundreds let alone big ones.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooky Monster View Post
    He's already played under both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    I'd like to see England with 4 seamers when Stokes plays, I think only having 3 seamers regardless of who they are is going to lead to get periods of innocuousness/injury sooner rather than later - obviously if an injury happens during the match you're in trouble. So you can maybe do it very occasionally, but I don't think it'll work for longer than that. There's also the fact that whoever England pick to bat probably isn't going to do that well anyway, so you may as well play to your strengths - bowling. England will have that brittleness for a while regardless.

The 4 seamers for this Spring/Summer should be quite simple really - Anderson, Broad, Onions and Stokes. The only way Onions shouldn't play is if England are hell bent on a spinner who can't bat and need a stronger tail. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rayner get picked if he does well with the Lions (if he ends up replacing Kerrigan in the squad).
    Have to agree that playing Stokes as a third seamer seems a good way to kill all his promise and overburden him with an extreme workload that will inevitably lead to a form dip in someone so young and unpolished

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I think the only way we'd seriously consider Stokes as one of three seamers would be if we were looking to play two spinners, which is how he got the gig in the first place.

l would say there's literally no chance of that happening in the summer, but who the **** knows any more?
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 18-01-2014 at 05:48 AM.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

School Boy/Girl Captain Watson33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Yeah this.......3 years ago Flower and Gooch were geniuses, now they destroy batsmen

As for the subject....Prior will be back, of that I'm confident. NFI where we look once he is finished, but I don't think that time has come just yet. A more pressing concern is where do we find a spinner?
    Prior would be my first choice too but I do think Buttler should be in the squad ahead of Bairstow. Once Prior is done, Buttler will have had a few years at Lancs and if he scores well and keeps well for them I can only see one option when Prior calls it a day. I feel Bairstow might be another Hick and dominate the domestic game but never quite get to grips with International cricket. I too have no idea where to look for a spinner. If I recall correctly, Kerrigan was the best spinner in the Championship last year in terms of wickets but we all know how his debut went. Other than maybe Rayner I think every decent spinner in the championship has been given a go and failed.

Bairstow, Buttler, Kieswetter all attacking players but in the main inconsistent. Kieswetter must be in with a chance with experience opening batting. Rather him open near top rather than Cook or Root in Limited overs.

Why not play all 3 ??????????

School Boy/Girl Captain Watson33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alw1971 View Post
    Bairstow, Buttler, Kieswetter all attacking players but in the main inconsistent. Kieswetter must be in with a chance with experience opening batting. Rather him open near top rather than Cook or Root in Limited overs.

Why not play all 3 ??????????
    More on about the test side here. Wouldn't want Bairstow anywhere near the ODI side tbh for two reasons: 1.) His ODI and List A averages are shocking and 2.) where would you put him? He isn't a power hitter to have in the middle order (and isn't better than anyone in the current middle order) and I doubt his technique against the new ball would be good enough for him to open.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information