• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Were the Ashes devalued by having back to back series?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree, though we'd best not say so too loudly, else we'll be accused of squealing, with some justification

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah we should have agreed to the series but not with the urn on the line.

Jassy

Banned
The only thing that has been devalued is the Ashes in England. This series will live on in the memory for years to come :)

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I thought the 10-match series was really cool as a bit of a novelty, but I wouldn't like to see it happen too often.

HeathDavisSpeed

I don't want to see it happen again. Consecutive series works alright occasionally - for example England vs. New Zealand 12 months ago - 3 Tests in NZ dovetailing into 2 Tests in England almost made it feel like a proper series, but 10 Tests in a row against the same opposition seemed excessive.

andyc

I didn't mind it because we got 10 Tests in a very short period of time, but yeah, I wouldn't really want it to happen again any time soon. Do kinda feel bad for England since the first series doesn't really matter now. Your own fault for hosting the Olympics though.

Son Of Coco

I think they were devalued by this most recent series here in Oz not being long enough. They should've used a badminton scoring system for the tests, making it first to 21. I would have relished a 21-0 scoreline against 7 different English teams over the course of a series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I didn't mind it because we got 10 Tests in a very short period of time, but yeah, I wouldn't really want it to happen again any time soon. Do kinda feel bad for England since the first series doesn't really matter now. Your own fault for hosting the Olympics though.
Olympics were nothing to do with it tbh

HeathDavisSpeed

I thought it was a clash with the Cricket World Cup next year that meant it needed to be brought forward a year. Or something.

EDIT: Already answered 12 minutes earlier. I'm like quickdraw ****ing mcgraw.