Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Who is really to blame for England's batting collapses post 2011 in test series?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Shut up and read this.

Ed Cowan on facing Mitchell Johnson at the WACA | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

My plans at the WACA were simple. They had to be, against serious pace. I'd get on-side of the ball to negate the angle in, and not expect any swing away from my left-hander's stance. If it did swing, I felt I would adjust late. The plan was clear: get forward and look to push him down the ground, knowing square-of-the-wicket shots would come naturally as the innings progressed. I knew the best place to play was from the other end: clichéd, yes, but generally effective in resisting the new ball.
    Two things in this paragraph explain where the England bats went wrong in playing Johnson.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 05-01-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Blaming Ed Cowan is a bit harsh.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

If a bowler gets on top of England they let him destroy them both Ajmal and Johnson are prime examples. Sure there will be a bogey bowler for a whole batting unit but eventually one or two batsman will get on top of him as the series progresses and calms everyone down England keeps on piling it on themselves and eventually allows other bowlers to take advantage of this aswell.
    Last edited by Xuhaib; 05-01-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Gotta be mental or team factors. I've seen absolutely nothing technically wrong with the English bats that haven't been there for many years.
    And there's the problem: mediocre batting for a long time, been able to get away with it facing mediocre attacks. The long-time technical flaws have been thoroughly examined by Dr Boof and Billy the Kid.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Collingwood going definitely to blame. We were fine in the summer of 2011, Morgan was able to be semi useful against India, but ever since then we've struggled to replace him and he was the man who dug us out of these holes.

U19 12th Man
    Quality of bowling worldwide has improved.

Aussies have re-emerged, Saffas always good, Kiwis have good new ball attack, Pakistani found more talent (Ajmal is a freak), a fullstrength WIndies pace attack is not too bad (unlike that seen in NZ) etc

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Blaming Ed Cowan is a bit harsh.
    worked for lehmann
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information