• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England is nothing short of rubbish

jonbrooks

International Debutant
This has to be the most spineless performance I've seen from a team in a long time. I know NZ has had its fair share of one sided losses but most of the time this has been due to us not having the players to compete at the top level. What is England's excuse?

The commitment levels are just not there. I am not an England fan but it pains me to see a team play like this. They're not putting in any effort. It's disgusting.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We've been mentally shot for weeks and everyone knew this was happening from Adelaide onwards. No-one can do anything when they're not mentally there, end of story.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
We've been mentally shot for weeks and everyone knew this was happening from Adelaide onwards. No-one can do anything when they're not mentally there, end of story.
I am not singling out any one performance here. I'm talking about ALL of them.

Any team can have a bad couple of tests but to lose 5 in this fashion? Unbelievable.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hard to pull yourself out of a position like the one they were in very early in the series. Slippery slope...

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
On the plus side we still scored more in our 1st innings on Boxing Day than the Aussies did last time round. So you know, there;s that.

Hooksey

Banned
Amazing turn around. Australia turned up the heat this series and England went down without a whimper.

Mark68

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
And i can't see too much changing in the summer. The same set-up and coaches means no kick up the backside and therefore continued complacency.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You've been extremely gentle on Cook in that rather simplistic assessment. Surely he'd have to take some of the load for the mental frailty as the series went on?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's not unreasonable to expect highly paid professionals to do their job.

The question is why were they mentally shot? It isn't something that can just be trotted out to excuse this sort of garbage.

flibbertyjibber

Much like India in England and Australia and Australia in India once the tide has turned against you it is almost impossible to stop it.

Has to be serious questions asked about the gutless displays in the last couple of tests though, being beaten is one thing but showing no fight is unacceptable.

Zinzan

It's not unreasonable to expect highly paid professionals to do their job.

The question is why were they mentally shot? It isn't something that can just be trotted out to excuse this sort of garbage.
Precisely

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
As an Australian trying to view this from a neutral point of view, I can't help but feel as though this is the lowest point that England have reached in a very long time. It's one thing for mediocre English teams to be beaten by one of the greatest teams of all time during the 90/00s, but for this English team which reached #1 in the test rankings to lose so comprehensively is absolutely shocking. It's not even just that they lost; apart from a couple of isolated sessions, England never looked anywhere close to being in the game at all.

This is of course taking nothing away from Australia, who played remarkably well with what they have.

ganeshran

International Debutant
It's all about the first two tests. Once you get beaten badly in them, it is very hard to make a comeback. Going through all whitewashes in the last two years, the teams managed to compete in the first two matches even though they still got beaten.

But for the remainder of the series, it was just going through the motions with the players' confidence shot

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
On the plus side we still scored more in our 1st innings on Boxing Day than the Aussies did last time round. So you know, there;s that.
yes and australia couldn't even manage one innings victory compared to the 3 that england managed last time around.

Daemon

Pretty crazy how many of these we've had recently. India in England, India in Australia, England in UAE, Australia in India and now England in Australia.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty crazy how many of these we've had recently. India in England, India in Australia, England in UAE, Australia in India and now England in Australia.
Pretty sure I read something on Cricinfo saying there'd only been two Tests won away from home in 2013, both of which were against Zimbabwe.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Sign of too much cricket being played? Especially considering the same three teams always seem to be involved - not that it's the only reason or even a major one but still.