• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England is nothing short of rubbish

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
A lot of the blame has to fall on Cook (and probably Flower) imo. Its not something he can probably change, but Cook doesn't strike me as an inspiring leader. Its hard to imagine him rousing the troops or giving people a kick up the arse. Strauss was much more suited to the role.

It didn't help Cook that two of his seniors Trott and Prior fell to pieces and left him to cope by himself. But Cook is not a captain for my money. Great batsman, but not a captain.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Weren't England No. 2 in 2005?Either way, that's hilarious :laugh:
Graph is either inaccurate or taken at arbitrary points in the years that aren't consistent.

Strauss and Prior are not South African by any reasonable definition.

We had Trott, Strauss, Pietersen and Prior together from 2009 yet strangely this isn't highlighted until we hit top spot.

**** graph and **** posting

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I seem to be in a minority of one in this belief but I don't think Tremlett was terrible in the game he played.
I don't think you are, tbh. Yes, he was down on pace (slightly) at Brisbane, but he did keep things tight and has always been a bowler who's better for a gallop.

When one considers he was replaced by Panesar and then Bresnan, neither of whom even approached the giddy heights of keeping things tight & ultimately got the arse before the end of the series too, it's hard not to think the big fella was a little stiffed.

Playing two spinners at Adelaide (when we also had the options of Root and Pietersen available) is the kind of wrong-headed thinking that's summed up the whole sorry debacle. Have we ever had any success playing two spinners outside of the subcontinent since God was a lad?

I don't see how nothing can change. I agree that the personnel in the team has to stay similar, but then there's a need for a new messenger. They'd stopped listening and caring.
Yeah, doing nothing isn't an option. If a 5-0 arseholing (when the "0" flatters the losing side) isn't the catalyst for some serious changes, it asks the question exactly what is?

I think more of an effort should've been made to include KP in the senior players circle for one; whatever his faults, a 100 test veteran must surely be able to add something tactically? It's a matter of record that he likes to feel loved and for him to remain on the outers must niggle at him.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I think more of an effort should've been made to include KP in the senior players circle for one; whatever his faults, a 100 test veteran must surely be able to add something tactically? It's a matter of record that he likes to feel loved and for him to remain on the outers must niggle at him.
Strauss (I think it was Strauss) made this point during our summer and it clearly isn't something they've taken on board. Surely including him as much as possible could only be a good thing for both parties? I mean the bloke can't be so irritating that a short 30 second consultation with him mid-pitch is too much to bear. Surely?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
At the end of the home Ashes I noticed KP was largely walking around alone when they were all celebrating. Was pretty sad to see but I didn't dwell on it much and didn't see anything of it in the media so figured it was just me. But now all this has come out again, well.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Graph is either inaccurate or taken at arbitrary points in the years that aren't consistent.

Strauss and Prior are not South African by any reasonable definition.

We had Trott, Strauss, Pietersen and Prior together from 2009 yet strangely this isn't highlighted until we hit top spot.

**** graph and **** posting
it's a joke mate, chill out.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The last three years really haven't been a glowing endorsement of the CC. In that time, we haven't managed to find a middle order batsman to replace Collingwood or an opener to replace Strauss. Apparently there isn't a viable alternative to Swann. Or a viable third quick.

Throw in a bunch of over 25's who haven't progressed as expected, and you do have to ask wtf goes on at county level nowadays.

Kyle

School Boy/Girl Captain
Haha - graph is excellent. Stealing that for some already uptight England supporters at work, should lighten the mood on Monday!