• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nightwatchman theory ...

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Something unmentioned in the 'nightwatchmen average more at 10/11 than in the top order' is that they're inevitably going to have a greater proportion of not outs when batting in the lower order. I hate the argument that not outs 'inflate' a player's average - that's a fallacious statement - but there's an obvious difference between filling in at 4 where there are multiple opportunities for you to get out and batting at 11 where it's either you or your partner that gets out and on many occasions your partner's risking his wicket to score as many runs as he can before you get out yourself.

I like the idea of a nightwatchman and as Jono said in many circumstances it can work. Steyn did it not long ago against India and got a good 40 odd putting on almost 100 with Kallis the next day. Someone like Jimmy Anderson isn't really capable of that in my eyes and I much preferred it when we chose Bresnan to do it at Lord's earlier in the summer... even if he did basically stonewall.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I like the idea of a nightwatchman and as Jono said in many circumstances it can work. Steyn did it not long ago against India and got a good 40 odd putting on almost 100 with Kallis the next day. Someone like Jimmy Anderson isn't really capable of that in my eyes and I much preferred it when we chose Bresnan to do it at Lord's earlier in the summer... even if he did basically stonewall.
I completely agree that if you're going to use a NWM you should pick someone with the ability not only to block but also to cause some mayhem next morning, rather than hand the initiative to the opposition. Which is precisely what Anderson and Hoggard before him have done for many years for England. Just so negative.

Julian87

State Captain
I reckon it's a good tactic, you just need the right bloke to put in there. Blokes who show balls when they bat, like Gillespie or Lyon.

FBU

International Debutant
Anderson was managed to get to stumps 21/23 times

Batting position, overs at crease - batsmen out - balls faced with batsmen in until stumps - and protecting batsmen (runs that batsmen went on to make)

3 - 4.2-19.4 - Strauss - 12 balls with Cook - Vaughan (11)
3 - 0.5-10.3 - Cook - 10 balls with Vaughan - Bell (74)
4 - 22.5-46.4 - Vaughan - 2 balls with Cook - KP (13)
7 - 83.4-110.4 - Strauss - 17 balls with Flintoff - Prior (53)
7 - 71.2-84.0 - Pietersen - 6 balls with Flintoff - Prior (2)
5 - 90.0-93.5 - Strauss - 14 balls with Pietersen - Collingwood (113)
3 - 4.4-19.5 - Strauss - 13 balls with Cook - Shah (14)
4 - 86.0-96.3 - Bopara - 16 balls with Cook - Pietersen (49)
8 - 86.5-102.4 - Flintoff - 13 balls with Prior - Broad (19)
6 - 28.1-32.3 - Collingwood - 7 with Cook - Prior (22)
3 - 1.3-8.1 - Strauss - 15 balls with Cook - Trott (69)
5 - 47.3-62.0 - Pietersen 15 balls with Trott - Collingwood (40)
3 - 0.5-11.1 - Strauss - 12 balls with Cook - Trott (36)
6 - 26.0-30.5 - Trott - 1 ball Collingwood - Bell (16)
5 - 43.3-48.0 - Pietersen - 15 balls with Cook - Collingwood (13)
3 - 19.2-20.0 - Strauss - 5 balls with Cook - Trott (203)
6 - 46.4-48.0 - Pietersen - 3 balls with Bell - Morgan (71)
5 - 117.1-122.5 - Pietersen - 18 balls with Bell - Morgan (1)
8 - 38.1-43.0 - Prior - 18 balls with Strauss - Broad (4)
3 - 1.3-OUT (Roach) - Strauss - 4 balls with Cook - Trott (13)
3 - 13.4-OUT (Ojha) - Compton - 6 balls with Cook - Trott (0)
9 - 84.4-93.3 - Prior - 16 balls with Bresnan - Broad (33)
3 - 3.4-9.4 - Carberry - 10 balls with Cook - Bell (2)

Finn
3 - 84.6-152.4 - Cook - 202 balls with Compton, Trott, Pietersen, Bell - Trott (52)
5 - 48.4-52.1 - Cook - 3 balls with Bell - Root (29)
7 - 55.5-59.5 - Prior - 14 balls with Trott and Bell - Bell (6)

Bresnan
5 - 14.6-61.3 - Pietersen - 15 balls with Root - Bell (74)
3 - 23.5 -OUT (Siddle) - Root - 13 balls with Cook - Trott (5)
7 - 67.6-92.6 - Bairstow - 21 balls with Bell - Prior (0)

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
The one where he turned down the single then Collingwood (i think) got out was the absolute best.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Middlesex under Brearley used to do this on occasion.
There's something to this I think- assuming the logic to having a nightwatchman is sound, why is it only applied at the end of the day? If you're expecting a short period of play when batting is a bit of a lottery- not exactly unheard of- you might not want your best batsmen to come to the crease first. A bit like a less extreme version of the reverse-batting-order trick from the days of uncovered wickets.

91Jmay

International Coach
You are downplaying the psychological aspect. A batsmen will not want to come in and face 5 overs, there is no chance to build a score of any real note and all that can happen is he gets out. This weighing on there mind will have an effect.