• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

George Bailey

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I know it's an opportune time to make this comment but how does this bloke get a guernsey?

He's 30+ years old and averages ~ 38 in first class cricket. I don't buy that he is picked because of his form in India because he's surely lost that card by now. And what's the rationale for thinking that swinging hard at balls on flat wickets would put him in good stead to buckle down again Broad and Anderson?

He's surely only in the team because he's a good bloke and they like having him around the dressing rooms.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Our selectors rewarded his Indian ODI form with 5 tests. T20 captain right so he's already in the inner circle.

uvelocity

International Coach
there werent a truckload of other options, and in their absence picking a bloke with a bit of ticker, who hadn't had a chance to fail yet wasn't the worst idea. to say the selection was based purely on his bludgeoning of a poor indian attack in a joke odi series is beyond blinkered

Tangles

Ok I'm overstating it. Picking him with his FC record just wasn't going to work. The other options have been seen before and apparently that was a big factor also.

Spark

Global Moderator
there werent a truckload of other options, and in their absence picking a bloke with a bit of ticker, who hadn't had a chance to fail yet wasn't the worst idea. to say the selection was based purely on his bludgeoning of a poor indian attack in a joke odi series is beyond blinkered
it sort of was though. i mean, you could add english to indian and then it'd be more accurate but that's really it

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At least this way it's been made conclusive that he's not up to it and that'll be the end of that. His selection hasn't had much of a detriment to our overall success in the series, so as long as he's not going to South Africa I'm not that fussed by it all.

Tangles

Has Doolan done enough to get his spot though. I think Hughes should go but he probably won't.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At least this way it's been made conclusive that he's not up to it and that'll be the end of that. His selection hasn't had much of a detriment to our overall success in the series, so as long as he's not going to South Africa I'm not that fussed by it all.
Pretty much sums up my feelings although I'd argue that his selection in Sydney was way worse than him being picked for the Gabba

uvelocity

International Coach
who do they go with though. how many shield games before safferland. im sure they dont want to go with north. hussey wants to play for wa, not much further to cape town, can we have him back?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Not many is it? I genuinely don't know who would be the best option, there just aren't enough people slamming the door down. Guess I'd go with Doolan or Hughes, but wouldn't be at all against North going.

Tangles

Feb 12 is the 1st test which also looks like the first round of SS after the BB.

uvelocity

International Coach
thats aside from its going to be a squad, so youll probs have hughes and d00lander going if not a lynn or someone else as well

Tangles

Say they drop George and take Doolan with the expectation that he gets the 6 slot. Hughes is a strong shout for reserve bat unless they take Faulkner as cover for multiple spots. Half expecting Faulkner to get it given Rads golden summer.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is seriously weird. Of course they picked him on the bludgeoning of the Indian attack. He failed in his usual way in the lead up to the first test in his only Shield outings so it wasn't on that. Was it based on the season of Shield last year when he averaged 18 then?

Me and everyone else who watches shield could tell you long before the first test that Bailey would continue to be dismissed like that. He's made a career out of it, why would he now change?