Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: George Bailey

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    The simple answer is that Bailey was picked because the selectors lacked the courage to over-look his outstanding ODI form - which they had done for the previous year - and pick someone from the shield who yes wasn't putting up Stuart Law/Darren Lehmann/Michael Bevan-esque numbers but who they think might have what it takes to adapt to test cricket (like say Steve Smith being picked for the Indian tour).

Of course I haven't actually named someone like that, but I'm not getting paid for this.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I really wanted Bailey to do well because he just seems a great fella, but he's had five games on the bounce and doesn't look up to it at all tbh. Some may say it's too small a sample size to judge someone, but it's not that he's failing and getting out in different ways, he has a known technical flaw and it's been his downfall most every time.
    I think 5 Tests (in a winning side) and 100+ FC games are more than big enough a sample size to judge someone tbh. As I've said, I've not got a huge issue with them sticking with him this long, just as long as they don't take him to SA in the Test squad.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    North is 34 so yes only a stop gap. He started the Shield like Bradman though and has a better fc record than pretty much any other candidate not named Phil Hughes to go with his rocks and diamonds test career.

The issue for us is I think we have some real quality potentially coming through, but it's not ready yet. Bowlers like Pattinson, Cumins, Starc, Hazlewood etc and batsmen like Silk, Lynn, Maddinson, Head and maybe Burns are all tasty prospects, but need a few more years. The generation between (the 26-32 year olds atm) are basically a bust. Just a bunch of 30 averages. If some old heads can fill a gap until the young ones are ready that will only be to the good. Doolan might be ok (he does look the goods when he gets going), but his record is almost identical to Bailey's so it would surprise me if he does much better especially against the likes of Steyn and Philander. Khawaja seems to have lost his mojo (or has just been worked out), and Smarsh and Ferguson are frauds. Nothing to get excited about in that lot. The future is Hughes and younger.
    I think you can leave Hughes out of that list for a year or two as well. He really needs to make runs consistently at shield level for a couple or years before you reconsider him after his constant failures. They really need to do some talent identification and pick a player on potential because no-one is really forcing there way in through weight of runs. Lynn and Maddinson are probably most likely to succeed out of the young batsmen at this stage so maybe one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    Hughes would be the only one I think you could legitimately bring in at 3. Any debutante like Doolan deserves the chance to bat with a bit less pressure on at 6.
    The way our top order is going there's usually more pressure on 6 than 3.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

The top 3 SS scorers are North, White and Hughes. I can understand thinking that North and White are not worth going back to. If you take the same stance with Hughes you complicate matters. Despite having a decent looking technique Doolan hasn't put up the runs. I like Maddinson and Lynn but Maddo loves a brain explosion when set and Lynn is only just back from injury. If we want to go with a younger guy with a pick and stick policy Hughes must be it. Give him 5 matches at 6 like George had.

I like what I've seen of Lynn and would pick him over Maddo and Dools. Forkers may offer the same that George does with bowling which isn't enough with Watson around but I have a sneaky suspicion the selectors will try that first. Rads form will be a very convenient excuse. I would bet the only reason it didn't happen in Sydney was Clarke/Boof wanting the unchanged record.
    Last edited by Tangles; 03-01-2014 at 07:54 AM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I think you blokes should keep faith with George Bailey. It would be nice to see him play and miss his way through the next Ashes series over here.

International Regular
    Yeah, suppose when you compare there form when Hughes has been dropped compared to how Bailey has played and is still in, Hughes must feel seriously unlucky.

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar
    I reckon Maddinson and Doolan are the two guys who need to be given chances next. Now is exactly the right time to play them at #6 in the test side.
    I'll never fear you, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Of course I haven't actually named someone like that, but I'm not getting paid for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Ponting was saying the other night that Lynn is a good player but the perception is he nicks off too much, and he needs to work on that if he's going to be a test player.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    He's nowhere near as flawed as Bailey in that regard to be fair.

He'll turn out to be a decent enough cricketer before retiring to stud.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 03-01-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    Johnners likes this.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Interesting. He looks like he could do a much better job than Bailey at 6 even now. George and Hughes both nick off also. I'm less familiar with Doolan but his record indicates some sort of issue. I'd be happy enough with Hughes getting a shot at SA.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I suppose the other issue with Lynn is he has to miss Spring and Autumn tours because of the big Group One Carnivals. You'd hope he would be back from SA in time to run in the Doncaster
    uvelocity, adub, Johnners and 1 others like this.

International Debutant
    We want to replace Bailey which will be hard enough without playing musical chairs with Watson's position. Imo we are stuck with Watson at 3 for a while yet. Lets fix it one position at a time. I'd like the young players (Maddinson, Lynn, Burns, Silk, Head, Patterson) to prove it in the SS. For a straight swap at 6 then Wade, Doolan or Voges are candidates. Or you could move the new boy to 4. That would be less disruptive than moving Watson as you could comfortably move Clarke and Smith down one to accommodate. If 4 was the new spot then Hughes, Doolan or White come in.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 03-01-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    He's nowhere near as flawed as Bailey in that regard to be fair.

He'll turn out to be a decent enough cricketer before retiring to stud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I suppose the other issue with Lynn is he has to miss Spring and Autumn tours because of the big Group One Carnivals. You'd hope he would be back from SA in time to run in the Doncaster
    stop horsing around, guys

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information