• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

(As an England fan) The Worst Ashes You've Seen

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, they will not get away with top order failings against South Africa, everything else about them have been outstanding.

This is the worst tour ever, day 3 on the 4th test confirmed it for me.

Mark68

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah, i'll put 1989 to bed as it were.

This current fiasco is surely the worst in terms of performances. One century maker, one five wicket haul (same bloke) and massive defeats every single Test. Two players leaving the tour, befuddled and confused selection process, crumbling completely under pressure and caving in against pace.

I just hope they enjoyed the teas....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, i'll put 1989 to bed as it were.

This current fiasco is surely the worst in terms of performances. One century maker, one five wicket haul (same bloke) and massive defeats every single Test. Two players leaving the tour, befuddled and confused selection process, crumbling completely under pressure and caving in against pace.

I just hope they enjoyed the teas....
As a pedant I have to point out Broad took 5 in the first dig at the Gabba too.

fredfertang

I've just been comparing the results of the first four Tests of this series with Australia's record against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh - there's a rather worrying conclusion to be drawn

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've just been comparing the results of the first four Tests of this series with Australia's record against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh - there's a rather worrying conclusion to be drawn
I can see the comparison between England and Zimbabwe but to be fair I don't think Bangladesh have many African born players playing for them.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
After so many collapses in the Australian batting order, England has been pathetic. Even by 90's standards.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's quite obviously the worst series ever when GIMH is still posting ridiculously optimistic nonsense by predicting a 150 run win for Australia.

At least in 2006/07 we lost to a team that a) was quite possibly the greatest side ever seen on a cricket ground b) having a last hurrah and c) hell bent on revenge after losing the urn for the first time in 18 years.

This Australian top order is still absolutely dreadful. It is a damning indictment on how badly our batsmen have done (and I don't intend to take anything away from Australia's bowling attack which is IMO the best in the world now when I say this) that Australia have strolled to a 5-0 win. I refuse to place much blame on our bowling unit, which by and large has done well enough for England to be competitive throughout the series. Any half decent position England have been in has been utterly wasted by the batsmen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I sort of agree, have said the bowlers don't deserve too much flak. But it's they who have wasted our dominant positions in every game bar the MCG. That's not been good enough.

fredfertang

It's understandable that the team don't want to be out there any more, but unforgiveable that they make it so ****ing obvious

Pothas

I sort of agree, have said the bowlers don't deserve too much flak. But it's they who have wasted our dominant positions in every game bar the MCG. That's not been good enough.
Yeah and it is one difference between this and the UAE debacle. The batting in the UAE was just as bad if not worse, it was just tempered by the fact that it was not the ashes and only a 3 test series.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Our bowling has been **** at times, but it's a hell of a lot harder following 160 ish than 300+.

I didn't bother watching last night, and nearly peed myself laughing when I woke to 155 all out.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Until this match I thought 1989 was the worst. My view now is that, as a complete and utter drubbing by a team with whom we should have been competing on more or less even terms, this is unparalleled.

fredfertang

Until this match I thought 1989 was the worst. My view now is that, as a complete and utter drubbing by a team with whom we should have been competing on more or less even terms, this is unparalleled.
Agreed - this match has touched new lows

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yup. At least the 1989 players had the excuse that selection had been a complete joke for years, so there was no semblance of a settled team. Or the support and preparation they enjoy nowadays. Or central contracts. Most of this lot had everything going for them, but just CBA.

Pothas

It really has been a remarkable series, never seen such a brutal destruction of a side, just look at the England side in the last test compared to the first.

Never looked forward to such a long gap between Englan tests before.