• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Flower...considering his future?

Sean Flynn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yes....i'm in the KP camp. Don't make him vice captain, make him CAPTAIN and tell him to do it his way with his players and playing the brand of cricket that he wants to. KP is the man for me now. I reckon Australia in our position would appoint a KP type figure. Go out there and be positive in the manner of the leader. Forget his past and the problems with Moores. And when KP retires i would appoint him England manager in the same fashion as Darren Lehmann.

L Trumper

State Regular
KP's actions in warm up games are true though he acts as if they are above him and just slogs. Although obviously no idea if the subject has been brought up. Paul Newman is a tabloid hack, but he is well connected (Nasser's his kids godfather) so no smoke and all that.

He is also very well connected with Essex, so wouldn't surprise me if he had something of a direct line to Flower.
Never really happened though, just some anecdotal nonsense from a hack.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
eh? If you go past the headline, you can actually read that he was circumspect initially and after getting in decided to take on the young leg spinner. Since it is KP, journo tried to make some stupid thing out of it. kinda proves my point.
In isolation yes but this isn't the first time. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if he performs come the first test. As it happens he really doesn't so maybe we should be questioning his warmup on overseas tours. He has scored 839 runs @ 28.93 avg in the first test of overseas tours. The last few tours have been awful. His scores in first overseas tests since the start of the pakistan UAE tour being 2,0,3,30,17,2,0,12,18,26. It's a legitimate concern.

Spark

Global Moderator
eh? If you go past the headline, you can actually read that he was circumspect initially and after getting in decided to take on the young leg spinner. Since it is KP, journo tried to make some stupid thing out of it. kinda proves my point.
The shots described aren't really just "taking on the young leg-spinner".

howardj

International Coach
Yes....i'm in the KP camp. Don't make him vice captain, make him CAPTAIN and tell him to do it his way with his players and playing the brand of cricket that he wants to. KP is the man for me now. I reckon Australia in our position would appoint a KP type figure. Go out there and be positive in the manner of the leader. Forget his past and the problems with Moores. And when KP retires i would appoint him England manager in the same fashion as Darren Lehmann.
Making him captain; building the team around him etc. is living in the past when he was an indispensable force averaging 50 or 60 (there's massive authority among your team mates that comes with those stats. Call it Performance Authority)

The reality is though KP averages 38 over the past two calendar years (he now has no Performance Authority among the team anymore...and it goes without saying that he has no authority as leader/popular figure / senior statesman in the team)

At 33 years of age, averaging 38 in the past two years, and being a difficult character...he's very vulnerable to being cut adrift

I personally would not axe him, but I certainly would not make him captain

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I personally would not axe him, but I certainly would not make him captain
Yeah, so much this.

Madness to get rid of him unless he really is causing some serious troubles in the camp. Flower just needs to learn how to manage him better. But making him captain?? I seriously would stop supporting the team if that ever happened.

TNT

Banned
If this doesent confirm problems with Pietersen then nothing will.

Alastair Cook, England's Test and one-day captain, refused to comment on Kevin Pietersen's international future during a cagey press conference ahead of the first ODI in Melbourne. Asked about the reported breakdown of relations between Pietersen and the England team director, Andy Flower, Cook attempted to dead-bat the issue.
"It's very hard for me to talk to you the media about this. It's very hard," he said. "I can't do that. Confidentiality and stuff like that - what happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room. I refuse to do that."
I would expect a captain to back his players regardless, Cook has distanced himself from Pietersen.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Yes....i'm in the KP camp. Don't make him vice captain, make him CAPTAIN and tell him to do it his way with his players and playing the brand of cricket that he wants to. KP is the man for me now.
I'm not sure if this is meant to be a troll post or not...but it may just be crazy enough to work. Seriously, do England have any better ideas? Can things get any worse than they currently are?

Sean Flynn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm not sure if this is meant to be a troll post or not...but it may just be crazy enough to work. Seriously, do England have any better ideas? Can things get any worse than they currently are?
Why not? At least he will think outside the box and make things happen. Not just roll along like the present bloke and concede easy runs with fielders out on the ropes. We have become too static, too rigid and frankly unadventerous.

howardj

International Coach
Why?

It's been tried before...how did that go?

He's now 33

He averages 38 in the last two years

He's not liked or respected by his team mates

That kind of outweighs the fact that he's famous

#livinginthepast

Kyle

School Boy/Girl Captain
Regardless, something has to happen... Cuz this English cricket is bad. And more importantly, it's boring.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Andy Flower is a bit more clever than i give him credit for, very Ferguson/Mourinho tactics these are.

Look at you all micro criticising KP, you have been deliberately deflected this way and you don't even realise it.

Flower is the person you should be looking at and everyone should be talking about/ criticising, Ferguson as much as i hate the bloke was a master at deflecting criticism away from his and his teams failings when they had them by saying something about a referee or the like, basically making a headline to get the attention turned away from him and his team.

Seriously we all know that KP isn't the real issue here (don't we?), you really have all been duped.

Last edited:

wiff

First Class Debutant
Andy Flower is a bit more clever than i give him credit for, very Ferguson/Mourinho tactics these are.

Look at you all micro criticising KP, you have been deliberately deflected this way and you don't even realise it.

Flower is the person you should be looking at and everyone should be talking about/ criticising, Ferguson as much as i hate the bloke was a master at deflecting criticism away from his and his teams failings when they had them by saying something about a referee or the like, basically making a headline to get the attention turned away from him and his team.

Seriously we all know that KP isn't the real issue here (don't we?), you really have all been duped.
Probably is KP. This is going along the lines of the oz dressing room 12 months ago. Oz had a very pragmatic coach that isolated certain members of the team, then along came Boof and suddenly everyone's ear lickity pals. Maybe it is time for England to get a new coach that can harmonise the group?

Hooksey

Banned
England has some big decisions to make. First thing they need to do is ensure they don't sink any lower.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Probably is KP. This is going along the lines of the oz dressing room 12 months ago. Oz had a very pragmatic coach that isolated certain members of the team, then along came Boof and suddenly everyone's ear lickity pals. Maybe it is time for England to get a new coach that can harmonise the group?
100%, How Flowers position isn't untenable god only knows.

Sly ****er though dropping this KP **** out there to take the heat off himself and his cosey little posse of coaches.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah evil genius that Flower. It is not like KP has ever fallen out with anyone ever before. You are really quite ridiculous.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Not sure how they could let Flower deflect all criticism. His team wasn't competitive at all and was an absolute shambles. They were struggling to put in competitive sessions let alone tests.