Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: England's Problems (Potential answers?)

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    The man for the job is coaching Scotland
    Gordon Strachan? too many gingers around as it is IMHO.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Well it looks like the present staff are set to carry on. Carry on regardless as it were and this whole tour reminds me of a 'Carry On' film.

Goochy on the radio today says he wants to continue, Flower is carrying on and wants Cook to remain as skipper. I know that Mr Flower is still in credit with the ECB but letting him carry on appears much like rewarding failure. Have no idea about the bowling coach...he may be wanted by Australia (kidding).

Obviously Stokes remains along with Broad. And Ballance has shown a bit but poor old Scott Borthwick may turn to be another one cap wonder. Cook, KP and Bell as the experience. Perhaps James Taylor for the summer? Might be worth having a look at Mills against Sri Lanka and possibly Kerrigan if he is bowling well for his county. Prior to captain? Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Ryan View Post
    . I don't recall that the performances were any worse under Flintoff in the previous Ashes series in Australia, and he was sacked straight afterwards. On his present form, Cook should be not only sacked as captain but dropped.
    Flintoff wasn't sacked, Michael Vaughan returned from injury and took back his position.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i think this series conclusively proves that mo money mo problems.

England Ashes heroes bag million-pound pay deals before jetting off Down Under - Mirror Online
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    You won't have any authority in your side as captain if the tactics you employ appear questionable. It's that simple really. Sure, some of the fields might be at a bowler's request. Some might even be a plan of sorts. But there have been some bizarre decisions made by England when it comes to field placements in both Ashes series this year, and if they're not Cook's fault at times then he's not really a captain anyway.

The main problem is who to replace him with. As others have said, there isn't really anyone. So England need to hope he can learn the tactical side of things rather quickly. I can't see it happening myself.
    Surely Ricky Ponting disproves this. Questionable tactician but great leader of men and had no problem with asserting himself on the team. I don't believe it is that simple at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    England need to pick Chris Jordan. My campaign to get him in the test side begins here. Am convinced he would be a decent selection.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Someone tweeted Bumble that the Taliban should take over English cricket!!!

I may be wrong but I'm guessing that the MCC would find the Taliban a touch too extreme...

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    They should probably consult Dean Jones on the matter.

First Class Debutant YorksLanka's Avatar
    bring tymal mills into the team and so bring in some genuine pace from a left armer...root to open the batting ( i know he is in poor form but feel thats bcos he ahd been messed around) .Get rid of rankin as he is dross and bring Eoin Morgan in at six.
    "Play Hard but play fair..."

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    So bring in someone whose division 2 county don't trust enough to play FC cricket for them and someone else who's barely played any FC cricket in recent times and has a history of failing when he has tried Tests in the past?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    So bring in someone whose division 2 county don't trust enough to play FC cricket for them and someone else who's barely played any FC cricket in recent times and has a history of failing when he has tried Tests in the past?
    At least with Mills he has a lot of cutting edge and the county pitches don't really suit him. I wouldn't pick him yet obviously but I think he may be the sort of player who would do better at Tests rather than CC.

Really don't think Morgan should be in the frame though, he's just not good at the long format.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Yes, it's one thing saying he may do better, but if his county won't pick him then there's no way on Earth England should.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    It is Essex though. The team that in their wisdom decided to sign Saj Mahmood and have made countless other questionable decisions over the last few years squandering an abundance of talent to leave them languishing in the second division.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    So - Flower has gone but then wants to be moved upstairs somewhere? Why doesn't he just clear off so we can build newly.

And if Flower is the problem how the **** is Giles the answer?!

FBU
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Certainly not Broad or Anderson, albeit for slightly differing reasons.

Bell, if we're honest, we have no idea whatsoever about. The mode of many of his dismissals doesn't inspire confidence that he could lead anyone, but we really haven't a clue about his tactical acumen or leadership qualities.

I'd happily give the job to KP, but I know you differ. Can't recall if you provided any reasons though.

Cook should improve if he's given some intelligent support in the role. Maybe Bell as official vice-captain to provide a sounding board out in the middle.

Swann might have been an interesting captain, but obviously that option's gone.
    Bell has captained Under-19s, Lions and Warks. 52 matches - Won 24 Lost 13 Draw 7. With Warks W5 Lost 2 Draw 1.
    I don't think Cook will improve. He's been standing in the field for over 10 years and if he hasn't picked up anything from the various captains he has played under by now I don't see much change. He leaves the field placings to the bowlers and Prior. I think with Prior on one side of him and Swann on the other he relied on their input and it was evident when Bairstow and Root replaced them it got worse. Then Bell replaced Root in the slips, probably Flower wanting some experienced player next to Cook rather than for his slip catching.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information