Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: England's Problems (Potential answers?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    Cook has no tactical sense as captain but maybe he could learn some of that. The other part of captaincy is man management. What evidence is there that he is any good at that? That's harder to learn.

If Cooks your only option then sack Flower and hope it gets better...
    Well he did manage to bring KP back from the brink and seems to have assimilated KP back into the fold without too many ructions.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Well he did manage to bring KP back from the brink and seems to have assimilated KP back into the fold without too many ructions.
    Yeah, I have no idea about the ins and outs, but I'm reasonably sure one of the reasons he was picked was he got on well with everyone. Yet maybe that's it, not enough authority.

Think it will come though, like with Clarke.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Authority will be a lot easier if there are 3 or 4 changes to the team. He basically started out skippering Strauss's side, plus Strauss's replacement (as in batting replacement) and the revolving 6 and that was a side he was part of. Now that a new era appears to be dawning, this will become Cook's side. If he can't stamp his authority on that, then we can call him on it.

He shouldn't be sacked, definitely not for me.

Should be no question about Cook for me, or Flower for that matter.

Swann and Trott going has already changed the character of this side a great deal. They are also probably the two hardest positions to replace, England have always struggled for a number 3 and a spin bowler. Bell has to bat at 3 this summer, is be of the only things I am at all sure about.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Think the most important thing is who is the coach and the other backroom members of staff for the summer. Until we know that then we have no idea which players may be picked.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Maybe he should consult KP in the field then. He would have to know more about bowling and field changes than Cook has shown.

Definitely needs to learn now to tell senior bowlers they can't put a slip at extra cover after 1 boundary.
    Last edited by Tangles; 30-12-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    Cook has no tactical sense as captain but maybe he could learn some of that. The other part of captaincy is man management. What evidence is there that he is any good at that? That's harder to learn.

If Cooks your only option then sack Flower and hope it gets better...
    Thats the thing though isn't it, he isn't learning a thing is he?, just look at the last test for the example of that, it really won't get any better, people are kidding themselves if they think it will.

Love Cook the player, may not be the most fluent or pleasing on the eye but he is one of the best around and one of our best ever, the team needs Cook the quality batsman back, he should resign the captaincy, he'll go up in my book if he does, if he hangs onto it then **** him tbh, we desperately need a fresh start after this shambles.
    Last edited by Cooky Monster; 30-12-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Pfft, I'm all for making changes, but the Captaincy (however inept it's been this series) needs to remain with him, as all other options are awful.

KP and Broad, possibly on different sides of factions, who knows? Yet neither seem mature enough to do it, neither seems particularly selfless on their outlook on life. Prior not certain of his place. Jimmeh coming to the end of his career. Bell, let's face it the bloke clearly doesn't want to captain, he never has, or he'd have been in the mix before.

So let's do what Australia have done with Clarke, and keep Cook, yet change things round about with the back-room staff (gooch has got to go surely, hopefully for Thorpe), and a bit with the Team. Give him players he's confident with might be a start.

Cook has proved beyond the initial doubts that he is indeed an awful captain, uninspiring, unintelligent, negative (beyond belief at times) and tactical cluelessness, could go on....

il'd take any of the players you mention over him, anyway we need him scoring runs first and foremost, that really is the most important thing for him and the team, its strange that people think he will learn when all the evidence is there that he isn't learning a thing, its getting worse if anything.

Breakout Champion!
    England have one problem. Or four, depending on how you look at it. Bairstow, Ballance, Bresnan and Root. The side has been terminally weakened by Yorkshire players. The only two other times in the last 50 years that England played more than 3 Yorkshire players in an Ashes series - 02/03 (Dawson, Hoggard, Silverwood, Vaughan & White) and 1964 (Boycott, Sharpe, Taylor, Trueman). The results of those series - Australian wins. Coincidence?...
    Garson007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    England have one problem. Or four, depending on how you look at it. Bairstow, Ballance, Bresnan and Root. The side has been terminally weakened by Yorkshire players. The only two other times in the last 50 years that England played more than 3 Yorkshire players in an Ashes series - 02/03 (Dawson, Hoggard, Silverwood, Vaughan & White) and 1964 (Boycott, Sharpe, Taylor, Trueman). The results of those series - Australian wins. Coincidence?...

otoh we usually need a Yorkshire captain to regain the Ashes, so we'd better bring in Gayle asap this summer..

Or else one from Middlesex. But I have nfi who their captain is nowadays.

Cricket Spectator

England Cricket

In any team sport if teams are equally motivated, equally well organised, equally fit and have equally good team spirit, the team with the better players will win. On the other hand, if teams are roughly equal in ability, then the team with better organisation, fitness, motivation or team spirit will win. If one team is superior in all four of these qualities it will win overwhelmingly.
    This is what has happened to England in the Ashes. The pundits assure us that individually the Australian players are not obviously better than the England players. However, they are very obviously better organised, MUCH better motivated, and have much better team spirit.
    Why is this? Surely, the answer must lie in the management and, in particular, the captaincy. Again, we are assured that Cook is 'still the best man for the job', and that there are no other obvious candidates. I really can't see how anybody else could do much worse. With one or two exceptions, these players have clearly given up. I don't recall that the performances were any worse under Flintoff in the previous Ashes series in Australia, and he was sacked straight afterwards. On his present form, Cook should be not only sacked as captain but dropped.
    Is this something to do with class?
    Mick Ryan.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Tykeist, although you have a point, same in 1920/21 and 1934 as well - the evidence is strong on this one

School Boy/Girl Captain Watson33's Avatar
    Gooch has to take some of the flack for this woeful batting display throughout the series. If there was anyone from the backroom staff that should be shown the door I'd say he'd have to be first. In terms of players, I feel Cook should keep the captaincy. Not because he is a great captain, but who else are you going to give it to? KP is too controversial and too self centred to lead a team, Anderson carries the attack to much to have to think about field placings etc..., Prior needs to just concentrate on getting his game back in order and Broad is similarly tactically na´ve. Furthermore, the selectors have to take some of the flack too for the touring squad they took.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    You won't have any authority in your side as captain if the tactics you employ appear questionable. It's that simple really. Sure, some of the fields might be at a bowler's request. Some might even be a plan of sorts. But there have been some bizarre decisions made by England when it comes to field placements in both Ashes series this year, and if they're not Cook's fault at times then he's not really a captain anyway.

The main problem is who to replace him with. As others have said, there isn't really anyone. So England need to hope he can learn the tactical side of things rather quickly. I can't see it happening myself.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    The man for the job is coaching Scotland

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information