• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

uvelocity

International Coach
id go with

warner
rogers
watson
clarkeh
tpc
bailey
hadds
johnsons
harris
siddle
ly0n
fourkers(12th)

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Time for a rant...I'm a great fan of Watson's potential, and so dissapointed he's never reached it in Test cricket, but this is rediculous...he's averaging 41.85 in this series, averaging over 70 in last 2 tests and Lehman makes a statement something like...Watto must be dissapointed with his #3 returns and as an allrounder must bowl in Sydney.... Doolan is added for cover for Watson, when Watson says on tv, I'm fine, no injury....all the while Bailey still sitting pretty at # 6 with a test average of only 27...as Ian Chappell, said, Bailey will never be a Test player

...okay rant finsished, sorry as drunk ;)
I'm no Watson fan but if there's a desire to bring in Faulkner or Dools then George should be the one to go.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would it surprise anyone to see Watson left out, Bailey dropped, Haddin stupidly moved to 6 and Forkers batting at 7 in his debut test match?

Tangles

Would it surprise anyone to see Watson left out, Bailey dropped, Haddin stupidly moved to 6 and Forkers batting at 7 in his debut test match?
Watson only gets dropped for homework and not being fit to bat so I expect him to play. Haddin at 6 is the most likely scenario to cover his overs and the selectors love all rounders. NSW selectors would have him at 5 with 2 all rounders following. So it could be worse.

benchmark00

Watson only gets dropped for homework and not being fit to bat so I expect him to play. Haddin at 6 is the most likely scenario to cover his overs and the selectors love all rounders. NSW selectors would have him at 5 with 2 all rounders following. So it could be worse.
The above was with the assumption Watson is under an injury cloud.

Lehmann seems to always want 5 bowlers in the team, and if Watson can't bowl then his usual MO will dictate that he plays Forkers.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't this the perfect time to blood guys like Doolan, NCN and Faulkner? They've battered England and confidence is sky high (ideal conditions for a debutant). I mean, they're 4-0 up with a series v SA in just over a month. Guys like Harris and Watson will not want a rest, but I think it's in Australia's best interests to do so.

Tangles

Harris won't be around forever. He is 34 and manages his knee. He has been great against the top order and a major factor. If he's fit he plays. The batting is a bit different because the cracks have been papered over by Rad. George didnt deserve a cap and hasn't taken his opportunity. Dools and Forkers don't excite me but I can see the logic to dropping George. The problem is they will most likely move Rad to 6 and play Forkers at 7 to cover Watson.

That makes less sense because that's not a sustainable long term plan. So Dools makes more sense to me. He wouldn't have been my pick for 6. He's a 3 and they won't move Watson after his runs. He's not exactly banging on the door for selection either.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Wouldn't that be even more of a reason to to save Harris for SA though? The series is over and he's injury prone. Just doesn't make any sense for him to play imo.

Mark68

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Harris won't be around forever. He is 34 and manages his knee. He has been great against the top order and a major factor. If he's fit he plays. The batting is a bit different because the cracks have been papered over by Rad. George didnt deserve a cap and hasn't taken his opportunity. Dools and Forkers don't excite me but I can see the logic to dropping George. The problem is they will most likely move Rad to 6 and play Forkers at 7 to cover Watson.

That makes less sense because that's not a sustainable long term plan. So Dools makes more sense to me. He wouldn't have been my pick for 6. He's a 3 and they won't move Watson after his runs. He's not exactly banging on the door for selection either.
Harris has been superb against us, makes you wonder what could have been without the injuries he's suffered. But there are a number of excellent young pacemen waiting in the wings. Pattinson and Cummings spring to mind...they will surely spearhead the next Ashes series??

Tangles

Wouldn't that be even more of a reason to to save Harris for SA though? The series is over and he's injury prone. Just doesn't make any sense for him to play imo.
I was always against the rotation policy. Pick your best bowlers every test. At this point we don't know how long he has. He probably doesn't know. Any test could be his last. Any match could be. If our best quick wants to play then he can. He's earned it. Last year they denied Starc a Sydney test and this year he's not here. I know it's not the same but let's not go down that path again.

adub

International Captain
I'd definitely play Rhino if his is fit he can then take it easy until they fly out for SA. But if his knee or other niggle has him at 95% then he should rest up. The next major injury will likely see him done. We need him in SA no question. I'm okish with NCN but would obvs prefer Dougeh! if a replacement is needed.

D00lers started the Shield with one truly class innings but fell away really quickly. Not done near enough to be considered a test player for mine. Certainly no improvement on Bailey. And neither is an improvement on Watson (which is low praise for Watto). If they must bring in Forkers to cover Watson's overs (and it's a pretty big if), then Forkers for Bailers is the simplest move from the squad picked. **** you could even just bat Forkers at 6. I'm sure he could manage to contribute the 15 Bailers has averaged in our first digs and score some cheap quick runs setting up a total in the second just as well.

Completely expecting the same 11 to play though and fair enough.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

would just go straight Doolan for Watson and Faulkner for Bailey. Baileys runs haven't been any more than we'd expect from Faulkner anyway. They can "rest" Watson even if he's fit. He played with a sore groin so that's a good enough excuse to get him properly fit or whatever.

Thinking 5 bowlers is going to be a must in the mid-term post Harris.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah I just don't see them dropping Watto unless he physically can't bat. He seems to get picked even when just as a batsmen who can't run.

Top_Cat

Harris fit, Harris play. It's basically a commandment.

That's the blood of the last guy to tell him he was being rested on his face, for the record.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Watson can't bowl, I'll be fairly surprised if they don't do this tbh.

Mark68

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Can someone tell me how George Bailey gets in the Aussie Test side? Apart from being a punch bag for Jimmy that is....