• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Philander was around in 2011 wasn't he? I seem to recall the debate being centred around the fact that Philander's record was amazing in the Tests he'd played but so was Broad's in the same period.

I could be making it up though and obviously there was a chunk of 2011 where I didn't post here :whistling:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I agree tbf. He's talking about a pre Philander test attack where England clearly had the better spinner and third seamer, even if they had no one as good as Steyn.
For the 18ish months between the start of 2010 and the India series, Anderson probably was.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Philander was around in 2011 wasn't he? I seem to recall the debate being centred around the fact that Philander's record was amazing in the Tests he'd played but so was Broad's in the same period.

I could be making it up though and obviously there was a chunk of 2011 where I didn't post here :whistling:
His first series was against Australia in 2011-12, so if we're talking about a debate during the 2011 season when the England attack was Anderson-Broad-FitTremlett-Swann and the South African attack was Steyn-Morkel-Tsotsobe-Kallis-Harris, then England definitely had the better attack IMO. I'm pretty sure I argued it until I was blue in the face at it at the time too. :p When Philander was introduced and Tremlett got re-injured then South Africa had the better attack though, especially since they had the fifth bowler.

It's a lot less clear cut than that now with RSA/Aus IMO, but it depends a bit on the attack South Africa pick. If they give Duminy the spin duties and pick Abbott they then have the better attack for South African and even Australian conditions where the two teams will meet, but they may be less effective at a few away venues.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Right, I see. That's a pretty firm statement to be making after the fact, though, given SA won the very next year.
I don't see what a series between the two has to do with an argument over who had the better bowling attack a year previous. Particularly when summer 2011 featured a fit, in-form Bresnan for England, and a South Africa side where Vernon Philander had yet to debut.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't see what a series between the two has to do with an argument over who had the better bowling attack a year previous. Particularly when summer 2011 featured a fit, in-form Bresnan for England, and a South Africa side where Vernon Philander had yet to debut.
Fit, in form Tremlett too. Won a game from nowhere against Sri Lanka.

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
australia is clearly in the final and for me without question has the best fast bowling depth in the world, with a world class attack waiting in the wings (minus a spinner) but yeah i don't think i'm ready to outright declare them the best going around yet.
tbh Australian batting when compared with that of SA, is definitely inferior..Rogers seems to be the only batman who looked Test class.Clarke and Smith,in spite of making hundreds do not inspire confidence .Haddin may not be able to come to the rescue every time, especially agains thet SA bowling

Furball

Evil Scotsman
tbh Australian batting when compared with that of SA, is definitely inferior..Rogers seems to be the only batman who looked Test class.Clarke and Smith,in spite of making hundreds do not inspire confidence .Haddin may not be able to come to the rescue every time, especially agains thet SA bowling
You've got some bloody high standards if Clarke doesn't convince you.

Ruckus

International Captain
The gulf between Aus and SA batting is really not very much now imo. There's plenty of holes in both (especially with Kallis retired), and as someone else said, this will likely be a bowler shoot-out. Both sides with the ability to destroy the batting line up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The gulf between Aus and SA batting is really not very much now imo. There's plenty of holes in both (especially with Kallis retired), and as someone else said, this will likely be a bowler shoot-out. Both sides with the ability to destroy the batting line up.
Depends how good one views Faf really.

uvelocity

International Coach
i dunno know. gonna take it to the aus v saf thread, but we weren't far off last they were here. we're good enough if we play well enough imo

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
You've got some bloody high standards if Clarke doesn't convince you.
Clarke's recent scores

Australia in India 2013
Clarke scored 130.31(70 min).91.16(39 min).0,.18(53 min

two scores of over 30 in 6 innings

Ashes series in England

0.23(92 min).28(57 min).51(122 min).187.30 not out.6(42 min).21(43 min).7(46 min).28 not out

Only two scores of over 30 in 8 Innings ,discounting the not outs

Ashes in Australia 2013-14

1.113.148.22(77 min).24(58 min).23(63 min).10(61 mi),6 n.o,10,6

Only two scores of over 30 in 9 innings,discounting the not out

Surely this is not confidence inspiring stuff.especially considering the manner in which he he got out on some occasions

EDIT:-Er... 3 scores of over 30 in India counting the 31 he made in the 2nd innings ojf the 1st test

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Australia in India 2013
Clarke scored 130.31(70 min).91.16(39 min).0,.18(53 min
Did you watch this series at all? Or are you of the opinion that all those low scores were the result of him giving it away?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
His first series was against Australia in 2011-12, so if we're talking about a debate during the 2011 season when the England attack was Anderson-Broad-FitTremlett-Swann and the South African attack was Steyn-Morkel-Tsotsobe-Kallis-Harris, then England definitely had the better attack IMO. I'm pretty sure I argued it until I was blue in the face at it at the time too. :p When Philander was introduced and Tremlett got re-injured then South Africa had the better attack though, especially since they had the fifth bowler.

It's a lot less clear cut than that now with RSA/Aus IMO, but it depends a bit on the attack South Africa pick. If they give Duminy the spin duties and pick Abbott they then have the better attack for South African and even Australian conditions where the two teams will meet, but they may be less effective at a few away venues.
I thought he debuted a year earlier for some reason.

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Did you watch this series at all? Or are you of the opinion that all those low scores were the result of him giving it away?
No,he didn't.He succumbed to pressure except for that 0 when he didn't get time for even that