• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One overwhelming positive for England ....

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
... now that we've been so comprehensively murdered, we're free to reinvent ourselves as anything we want.

#everycloud

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
But that's the real issue, isn't it?

If you are there to remodel, Pietersen is asked to leave. If you want to drag the best out of your current side then you have to play him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think, of the current top six, four (Cook, Bell, Stokes and KP himself) are mortal locks. We really don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, do we?

The time invested in Root plus his youth means he's a better than 50% shout for Sri Lanka in the spring too, although maybe not at #3, which leaves one spot opening. I'd like to see Robson given a go (how's he going in grade this winter, btw?) but wouldn't object to Compton either.

Spin looks a problem, Monty hardly stepping up and if he's not doing it with the ball his case becomes very hard to argue. It's not beyond the realms we could even see Tredwell as the first choice slow bowler come 2014.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tredwell who didn't take a first class wicket until June or something stupid last year. Good god I hope not.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Kerrigan definitely had the best credentials going on first class output, but it just didn't happen for him at The Oval, to put it very politely.

Borthwick's batting well, but a tyro leggie against Sri Lanka and then India could be sheer murder for the boy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How's Kerrigan gone with the performance squad?
Stayed at home for a cry.

Actually, he was told his services weren't required and would be working with Peter Such, which looks like the international sportsman's equivalent of lines.

I must not bowl like a drain
etc

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
How's Kerrigan gone with the performance squad?
He was in the squad originally but a decision was taken, after due consideration by all relevant parties, to keep home for the winter, where he has been putting in a lot of work in at Lancashire's in door facilities.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stayed at home for a cry.

Actually, he was told his services weren't required and would be working with Peter Such, which looks like the international sportsman's equivalent of lines.

etc
Working with Peter Such! He's bound to come good with such illustrious coaching behind him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Very underrated bowler, Such, tbf.

We've had far, far worse. Quite possibly the best offie we've had in my watching career before Swann came along, although I didn't really see Embers in his cups. Was largely bowling on fumes by the time I can remember him.

Maybe even the best slow bowler full stop, actually.

Such always seemed to lose out because other options batted better.

andyc

TBF John Davison is the spin bowling coach for the Aussies (or at least for Lyon), and he averaged 45+ with the ball in FC.

HeathDavisSpeed

As an Essex man, I'm 99.94% Heef wasn't being ironic in his praise of Suchy.
I have a man crush on Peter Such and his camp little leaps in anticipation of a wicket. WAG.

Plus, he was actually a really good attacking spin option, but couldn't bat for toffee and wasn't the greatest fielder either.

flibbertyjibber

I have a man crush on Peter Such and his camp little leaps in anticipation of a wicket. WAG.

Plus, he was actually a really good attacking spin option, but couldn't bat for toffee and wasn't the greatest fielder either.
I used to laugh all the time at those skips in the air with hands raised every time he thought he had a chance of a wicket.

OverratedSanity

Very underrated bowler, Such, tbf.

We've had far, far worse. Quite possibly the best offie we've had in my watching career before Swann came along, although I didn't really see Embers in his cups. Was largely bowling on fumes by the time I can remember him.

Maybe even the best slow bowler full stop, actually.

Such always seemed to lose out because other options batted better.
That's interesting to hear. He played something like 7 tests didn't he? Why do you rate him that high?

flibbertyjibber

Well he played 11 tests and 7 were against the top side in the world and overall got 37 wickets @ 33.56

He'd walk into the side with figures like that now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Played minor counties for Cambs for one. :cool:

For two, as Heef suggests, he was actually a genuine attacking option, whereas most of our slow options in my youth seemed to be an excuse for AN Seamer to rest his wearisome feet for a few overs whilst not going for too many.

I'm pretty sure he never toured on the subcontinent, so his record (abbreviated as it is) stands comparison to any of his (English) peers, low bar as that is.

fredfertang

Peter Such, unlike Emburey and indeed most English spinners, gave the ball a helluva tweak - don't suppose he is as well endowed as Embers mind, although by all accounts very few are

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Kerrigan definitely had the best credentials going on first class output, but it just didn't happen for him at The Oval, to put it very politely.

Borthwick's batting well, but a tyro leggie against Sri Lanka and then India could be sheer murder for the boy.
Saw Borthwick two years ago; is there any reason to believe that he's not just another Rashid?