• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson: Imminent revival or terminal decline?

the big bambino

International Captain
There has been sporadic talk around the forum about Anderson's form but I haven't found a thread dedicated to it. Sorry in advance if this topic has been raised. Imo he isn't finished mainly bcos I think his gun speeds are still pretty good. His current form can't be explained by him bowling in unhelpful conditions given his dominance in the 10/11 series. Anyway his dryish run is 8 tests longs now. Anyone with any ideas why?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he is just buggered. Hasn't he bowled more overs this year than any other bowler?

Our incompetent batsmen haven't helped the fatigue either.......he's barely got out of the shower after bowling 30 overs and he's back out there with a bat in his hand for 15 mins before he's at the top of his mark again.

If we want a couple more years out of Jimmy back near his best he's going to have to be managed very very well.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As with when Australia was struggling and all the blame was pinned on the bowlers, the problem isn't with the bowlers.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
As with when Australia was struggling and all the blame was pinned on the bowlers, the problem isn't with the bowlers.
True, but you can't deny Jimmy has looked a shadow of the bowler that was here 3 years ago or the one that took 10 wickets at Trent Bridge.

Top_Cat

Well yeah but I don't agree at all he's in decline or, if he is, this series should be the decisive proof of it. With the new ball, he's been threatening all series, creating enough chances which haven't been taken or just not quite getting through a bloke like Warner who just also happens to be red hot. Also, when he was in career-best form and the team utterly dominant 3 years ago, he still didn't manage a bag of 5 and averaged mid-20's, a good rather than great series statistically (the wickets he did take really counted, though). Reckon that, overall, Aussie conditions just aren't conducive to his MO. Swing bowlers of any pace rarely have a good time here, it's why we produce so few of them.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well yeah but I don't agree at all he's in decline or, if he is, this series should be the decisive proof of it. With the new ball, he's been threatening all series, creating enough chances which haven't been taken or just not quite getting through a bloke like Warner who just also happens to be red hot. Also, when he was in career-best form and the team utterly dominant 3 years ago, he still didn't manage a bag of 5 and averaged mid-20's, a good rather than great series statistically (the wickets he did take really counted, though). Reckon that, overall, Aussie conditions just aren't conducive to his MO. Swing bowlers of any pace rarely have a good time here, it's why we produce so few of them.
TC, you've been on fire recently with your analysis

Anyway, nothing I've seen this season leads me to believe that Jimmeh cant play for another few years

He still has the pace and skill, just needs conditions and more support than Broad

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jimmy needs to recharge his batteries and then get some confidence back - he should be sent home for a good long rest and then allowed to play in Lancashire's first few Championship matches next summer - a few easy pickings on green tops in May will soon make him feel like a world beater again

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think one of the biggest impediments to his "being managed" (which sounds somehow vaguely nefarious, like something Tony Soprano would do, but I digress...) is Jimmeh himself.

When he was rested for the third test of the last Windies tour of Blighty with the home side already 2-0 ahead, he "let it be known" that he wasn't happy at the missed opportunity of more scalps.

Moreover, to answer the OP's Q, I don't think he is in terminal decline yet. The ball that claimed Clarke in the first knock wasn't that of a fellow on his last legs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyone who thinks Anderson needs to be mindful of his place in the side is an idiot, frankly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone who thinks Anderson needs to be mindful of his place in the side is an idiot, frankly.
It's not under threat, but a bad summer and it will be. Especially as the England regime have even happy to end seamers careers pretty swiftly in the past. Different regime but Anderson was beneficiary to such a policy in 2008.

Woodster

International Captain
It doesn't seem the same Jimmy that we have been used to for the last few years, and I don't specifically mean the way he's bowling, just his general demeanour. Granted, after getting a thumping he's not got much to be mouthy about, but he does normally give the batsmen a rough time verbally which he hasn't this series, just seems to have accepted the fact he's not going to have much success. Maybe it's a confidence thing, even a world class bowler suffers periods when they lose their confidence.

It's not just Jimmy though, a lot of the players have not shown that bit of 'mongrel', it's as though we're trying to show the Aussies how you should behave like gentleman during a game of cricket, but it's really not what was required!

morgieb

Anderson hasn't looked that bad, for mine. He has still bowled some quality spells, but he's lost some zip and also the conditions don't really suit him.

A recharge should do the trick to get him back to somewhere near his best. Remember he's only 31.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes he's got very little out of these pitches and general overhead conditions. He's found the odd bit of reverse swing but hasn't really swung the new ball around much, whether that's just a slight technical issue or the fact that very few new ball spells for both sides have seen much swing so it just hasn't been conducive. I don't think he's lost much of his nip, during a couple of spells at Perth he cranked it up and was bowling consistently at late 80's mph, so he still has the ability to slip a gear.

His body language hasn't looked great for me, and he just needs to regain a hunger for the game for me, whether that means he needs a rest I don't know.

Hooksey

Banned
How many Test series are these bowling figures going to win a team regardless of how well you bat?

England bowling averages :

Broad 17 wickets at 26.8
Tremlett 4 wickets at 30.0
Bresnan 5 wickets at 41.2
Anderson 11 wickets at 45.6
Stokes 7 wickets at 47.3
Swann 7 wickets at 80.0
Panesar 3 wickets at 85.7

Last edited:

Hooksey

Banned
To win Test matches on a regular basis you need a bowling attack capable of getting 20 wickets on a regular basis. Plainly such an attack needs to do a whole lot better than this over 4 Test matches :

Broad 17 wickets at 26.8
Tremlett 4 wickets at 30.0
Bresnan 5 wickets at 41.2
Anderson 11 wickets at 45.6
Stokes 7 wickets at 47.3
Swann 7 wickets at 80.0
Panesar 3 wickets at 85.7

54 wickets in 4 Test matches and for far too many runs - not good enough.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that is the 4th or 5th time you've posted those figures Hooksey and you are not showing anything we all don't know.......seriously mate, what is the point here??