• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Piers Morgan bowled Lee no score 3 bruises

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He looked bloody sharp to me - personally I'd love to have been in Morgan's position - would probably have achieved something similar but at least I'd have felt secure with all that padding on, unlike the one time I did face a proper bowler, back in the early 80s - by First Class standards he was fast medium at best, and he'd promised to pitch the ball up, but on a club wicket with nobbut pad, gloves and box it wasn't a pleasant couple of overs

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would go after Lee for getting carried away except for two things
a) when he bowled the bouncer he made sure it sailed miles over his head.
b) see above and even when he hit him it was in the midrift

Shri

Mr. Glass
haha, said every fast bowler ever.

"****, that was quick!"

"Just rolling the arm over. Wait 'til I really let one go."
Yeah, but he has done too much **** in international cricket to say that.:p

Probably something Morgan would say after huffing and puffing to bowl a 90Kmph effort ball.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If nothing else, it's an exercise in showing just how hard it is to front up to sport at the top level for a mug punter, be it cricket or anything else.

Cricket is really deceptive to the casual punter because the default camera angle is behind the bowler, which makes the ball look a lot slower than it actually is. It's the same with tennis - go and watch a professional tournament and see how hard those ****s actually hit the ball. It's like watching a different sport.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well sadly it has to be said that this little stunt was the highlight of the Ashes series.

Ruckus

International Captain
I actually think Lee should get massive props for taking the challenge seriously. He could have so easily just thrown down some pies, with Piers smashing him all over the park, and everyone laughing and having a big pc love-in. But to his credit he obviously has a bit of personal pride and respect for cricket, and wouldn't let such naive armchair comments go unpunished. Yeah it probably wasn't the greatest example to set for the kids, but **** it, either is letting a complete git get away pure hubris.

Top_Cat

Yeah, but he has done too much **** in international cricket to say that.:p
As if that makes any difference. Every quick bowler, no matter the level, is very interested in making sure you think they're the fastest you've ever seen. The old joke "At a party, how do you know which one is a fighter pilot? Don't worry, they'll tell you." applies as much for fast bowlers as any ego-driven pursuit.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Jesus, it looked quick enough. At least a couple were whistling through.
Hard to say. It looked fast for sure but with no gun and only Piers reactions to use as a gauge we can only guess. As said a good exercise in showing how TV hides how fast it really is at the top level.

We could maybe use a stopwatch to guage reaction time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd like to think if Sir Richard was more familiar with Morgan's work he might've turned the sanctimony down a tad or even had a go at Lee for actually bowling one at the stumps.

Burgey

Jeez, have a spell Dick.

Oh would someone please think of the children!!!
All things are relative. And it sometimes depends on how big a **** the bloke bowling is. I played in a game years ago and our skipper's son who was 13 (went into play a fair bit of first grade before moving OS to marry a Swiss Olympic swimmer - I **** you not) was playing for us.

Anyway, he was a small kid and couldn't hit it off the square, but was hanging in there well. Opposition leggie ended up bowling him with a wrong un - fair enough, but he yahooed and carried on like a complete clock, like he'd bowled Tendulkar to win a series in India.

Was a marked man forever after that.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'd like to think if Sir Richard was more familiar with Morgan's work he might've turned the sanctimony down a tad or even had a go at Lee for actually bowling one at the stumps.
I think Hadlee's article brilliantly described the farcical mismatch and its potential consequences. He also wrote how Lee should have directed his bowling and illustrated its danger by saying that not even the experienced comperes would have enjoyed the onslaught. Its heartening to see someone of his stature condemn the stunt.

I chose to respond to your post instead of Silent One's because you mention Morgan's work in relation to the incident as somehow being deserving of this comeuppance. I've never listened to Morgan but can read the obvious antagonism to his views from posters here. Enjoying seeing a man who can't defend himself from being hit isn't a proper way to express opposition to his views, though I can think of a few pollies I dislike in Morgan's place and understand the attraction.