• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Our treatment of KP

Riggins

International Captain
Lara had a much 'worse' 100-50 ratio than lots of guys, but at the same time make a bunch of massive scores. did he just rarely make super low scores or something?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Lara had a much 'worse' 100-50 ratio than lots of guys, but at the same time make a bunch of massive scores. did he just rarely make super low scores or something?
A lot of low scores IIRC.

He went on record as envying SRT's ability to knock 40s and 50s consistently

L Trumper

State Regular
In his mid career slump he used to get out a lot without converting. During his lean years especially from 97 - 2001 he was criticized a lot, although his performance against AUS in 99 meant, most criticism is towards not fulfilling his ability rather than lack of it. A bit similar to what is happening with KP for the past two years (instead of single great series, KP got three great innings). Although I am not sure KP has it in him to stage a late career revival ala Lara circa 2003 - 06.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara's first 80 tests:

6533 runs, Avg: 47.68, 15 hundreds, 33 fifties.

Cricinfo - Statsguru - BC Lara - Tests - Innings by innings list

Might be interesting to ask some of the older posters what the consensus was on Lara at that point. Was he not considered a great batsman?

I know the reason most don't consider quite consider KP a true great is more because of the stupid dismissals but let's not pretend that if KP averaged fractionally more than 50, opinion on him old be the same. That 50 avg really is a big psychological barrier imo
It was thought he was a show pony who played for himself, not his team, and didn't score runs when the Windies really needed them. He was seen as being too busy cashing in on his 375 and 501 to really give a **** about the Windies. I know that sounds ridiculous but it was a school of thought that he was very streaky and really didn't give a ****. I think the 99 series against us pretty much changed all that

Last edited: