• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Our treatment of KP

Briony

International Debutant
You should be thanking god for him this game, because he's the only batsman from the England line up who's made runs both digs. Without him the game would be over already.

Fmd the bloke has been playing tests for nigh on a decade. Yeah he's frustrating because he holes out or plays a dumb shot, but that's the price you buy him at. Everyone knows he has that in him. He isn't going to change.

I can't say any of his dumb dismissals have cost England a test in this series iirc. Maybe get another player or two who can tick the score over at more than 1.5 per over and his head wouldn't be as scrambled as it seems to be ATM.

Is he England's leading run scorer this series, btw?
He certainly put his head down but really should have been out on six in the first dig and twice before 45 if the Aussies had taken the catches. Saw him bat yesterday and at least he was resolute but he seems to be clueless about batting with the tail.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Best I've seen was Waugh and I'm not sure he would have bothered trying either. He would have given them a spray after the first collapse though.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad indictment of English cricket that he is considered the best batsmen of your generation. There's a reason he averages 47.

I wish CW had existed back in the late 90s. There's was actually a time when Lara averaged something close to what KP is now.

Not equating KP with Lara but I'm just wondering what the general public thought of Lara when his average was this low? Did people still call him viv's successor or an erratic genius who's had a tad disappointing career like KP?
Ftr, I think KP is amazing. He's had a bad few months and the manner of his dismissals are frustrating but I hope he gets back to 2012 KP soon. I'm quite confident he will, too

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Do we reckon England players average less because our conditions are often seamer friendly or because were ****e?

Riggins

International Captain
If that's true then that's seriously good statting by you. I want a detailed breakdown of it though.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara's first 80 tests:

6533 runs, Avg: 47.68, 15 hundreds, 33 fifties.

Cricinfo - Statsguru - BC Lara - Tests - Innings by innings list

Might be interesting to ask some of the older posters what the consensus was on Lara at that point. Was he not considered a great batsman?

I know the reason most don't consider quite consider KP a true great is more because of the stupid dismissals but let's not pretend that if KP averaged fractionally more than 50, opinion on him old be the same. That 50 avg really is a big psychological barrier imo

Last edited:

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I may be wrong, but didn't his average creep back above 50 with his 400* against us? I thought it was about 48 before that match

Riggins

International Captain
Lara's first 80 tests:

6533 runs, Avg: 47.68, 15 hundreds, 33 fifties.

Cricinfo - Statsguru - BC Lara - Tests - Innings by innings list

Might be interesting to ask some of the older posters what the consensus was on Lara at that point. Was he not considered a great batsman?

I know the reason most don't consider quite consider KP a true great is more because of the stupid dismissals but let's not pretend that if KP averaged fractionally more than 50, opinion on him old be the same. That 50 avg really is a big psychological barrier imo
very interesting. I'd definitely be interested in seeing how long on average it took for the *good* batsmen to maintain a 50+ average.