Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Our treatment of KP

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Bairstow getting out to a Steve Smith full toss was rather terrible at Lords
    Oh yes, and Bell at Adelaide.
    uvelocity likes this.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    I believe I mounted a defence for that Steve Smith full toss v Bairstow
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

International Regular
    Was the defence that the batsmen was Bairstow?
    marc71178 likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    It was along the lines of the ball dipped late and took away the room for Bairstow to get under it. Turned into a handy delivery

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    I'm as big a fan of Pietersen as anyone, but that dismissal to Mitchell Johnson yesterday was absolutely miserable. The only shot/s we saw all day worse than that came from Piers Morgan.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    I'm as big a fan of Pietersen as anyone, but that dismissal to Mitchell Johnson yesterday was absolutely miserable. The only shot/s we saw all day worse than that came from Piers Morgan.
    And that's why there has always been so much frustration around KP, he is a thoughtful cricketer for much of the time, but when he does something like that that was completely unnecessary and not really giving himself a chance of scoring more runs yesterday, then you can't help but feel short-changed from him.

He is positive and generally scores quickly, the shot yesterday had very little chance of success. At times I'm torn between accepting the fact that he will get out in some crazy and very soft ways as that's how he plays and should some of those shots come off I'd be raving about them, and then I think it's not enough to say that's how he plays thus relinquishing him of any responsibility to bat to the situation and at times play a different way. He has been a top player over the years and is now 33 years old, so if he is as good as a lot of us say he is then he should have the skill and foresight to modify his game when necessary and not give it away with an outrageously attempted reverse, inside out, uppercutted pulled drive!

Some of the innings he has played can be replicated by few batsmen in world cricket and he has maintained a very decent average throughout his career. I think the fact we all still expect more shows how highly we think of him.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Would have thought one of the best batsmen in the world and some say the best batsmen of his generation would be able to hit that middleground of plodding and downright stupidly aggressive.

And no way you can say Broad is the tail.
    There's only been one person to say that and it's such a stupid thing to say it's not worth repeating. Would be like saying that 'some people think fully grown wild alligators make ideal pets for young children' just because Riggins said it once.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

He is all about ego batting. He ground out a 50 when it was needed and still copped flak. His ego asserted itself and he tried to mow the fastest bowler to the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    There's only been one person to say that and it's such a stupid thing to say it's not worth repeating. Would be like saying that 'some people think fully grown wild alligators make ideal pets for young children' just because Riggins said it once.
    That was my point. I was calling out Furball re: KP's pooness.

Now jog on and bring me back a souvenir from Fiji. Preferably something like this:

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    You should be thanking god for him this game, because he's the only batsman from the England line up who's made runs both digs. Without him the game would be over already.

Fmd the bloke has been playing tests for nigh on a decade. Yeah he's frustrating because he holes out or plays a dumb shot, but that's the price you buy him at. Everyone knows he has that in him. He isn't going to change.

I can't say any of his dumb dismissals have cost England a test in this series iirc. Maybe get another player or two who can tick the score over at more than 1.5 per over and his head wouldn't be as scrambled as it seems to be ATM.

Is he England's leading run scorer this series, btw?

KP finally turns up, but England are so **** the overall scorecard is basically unaltered.
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    You should be thanking god for him this game, because he's the only batsman from the England line up who's made runs both digs. Without him the game would be over already.

Fmd the bloke has been playing tests for nigh on a decade. Yeah he's frustrating because he holes out or plays a dumb shot, but that's the price you buy him at. Everyone knows he has that in him. He isn't going to change.

I can't say any of his dumb dismissals have cost England a test in this series iirc. Maybe get another player or two who can tick the score over at more than 1.5 per over and his head wouldn't be as scrambled as it seems to be ATM.

agree with this. has been for 8 (?) years and still the guy you really worry about when he walks out to the crease, regardless of match situation or his form.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post

yes we should thank him for turning up when the series is over. Pietersen is no more or less culpable than Bell, Cook or Trott. Carberry and Root are excused to a degree as they are inexperienced and don't have the career records of the other 4.

As a group the 4 haven't produced what they were required to do. Trott has already gone and won't play again. Whatever KP, Bell and Cook have or haven't done in this series, England can't really afford to lose another in the next year or so because to expose too many inexperienced and inferior players would really affect the strength of the team.

That in a sense is problem as they have no competition for their spot - however bad the shots they play are. KP, Bell and Cook are by some way England's best batsmen. I wouldn't say KP is any more important than Cook.

Banned
    Haha let's pick on the guy who scores 120 runs in the match! Jeez, granted he's had a pretty poor series but fair's fair the guy is amazing. Seriously, he should probably fill his boots by playing Bangladesh or make scores against Pakistan on dead wickets to improve his away average...or maybe he should just start averaging in the 30s every time he plays away from home. Maybe then he'll get his due...certainly works for other so-called great batsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    The combination of abysmal umpiring decisions and freak injuries lead to what can be best described as a string of hollow victories that are now being rightfully corrected.

Anyway. We're talking about one particular batsmen. Nothing more. He just isn't that good and its a reflection of an English batting line up that is made up of above average players rather than any real stars that has allowed KP to become overrated

Agree to a large extent. He's unquestionably a good batsman but surely not the best of his generation, nor necessarily the most talented. Every so often he tees off and looks great maybe taking an attack a part in the process. That's something a lot of batsmen can do if given the occasional licence. There's a reason why it doesn't happen a lot though because he needs the stars to align for this to happen. There have been many examples of current batsmen taking attacks apart when the cards fall into place too. He's played a few match-winning innings but in reality probably no more than the best batsmen of his generation. He's good but seems to get overrated as something super special.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information