• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Our treatment of KP

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Presumably he means this Aussie generation lost 4/6 Ashes series to the English generation got spin was potting.
The combination of abysmal umpiring decisions and freak injuries lead to what can be best described as a string of hollow victories that are now being rightfully corrected.

Anyway. We're talking about one particular batsmen. Nothing more. He just isn't that good and its a reflection of an English batting line up that is made up of above average players rather than any real stars that has allowed KP to become overrated

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The combination of abysmal umpiring decisions and freak injuries lead to what can be best described as a string of hollow victories that are now being rightfully corrected.

Anyway. We're talking about one particular batsmen. Nothing more. He just isn't that good and its a reflection of an English batting line up that is made up of above average players rather than any real stars that has allowed KP to become overrated
Abysmal umpiring decisions and freak injuries?? I guess we can stick you in the Aussie cricket fan category of "never beaten only cheated from wins"

How good or otherwise KP is is a very debatable point and I certainly don't have to overstate his prowess to refute your comments as being absolutely rubbish. How you can possibly claim that KP being the best English bat of this generation is a sad indictment on English cricket, when England has won 3 Ashes series on the bounce (and were the better side in all ftr) and save for Michael Clarke KP would be hands down better than any Aussie bat that played in any of those series.

You knock KP for his 47 ave........how many Aussies have you got playing here averaging over 50 mate?

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I was joking about the umpiring decisions and injuries. I've been listening to the 12th man this morning. Some of you ought to get a sense of humour.

How England have performed against Australia is completely irrelevant.

IMO the English batting line up, over the past 8 years or whatever, has been comprised of merely decent or good batsmen. The vacancy of any stars has led to KP being overrated.

How many English players have averaged over 50 in the past 20 years?

There's no denying KP is a good player, but because England have lacked other batting stars the position of KP has been ridiculously overrated.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
IMO the English batting line up, over the past 8 years or whatever, has been comprised of merely decent or good batsmen. The vacancy of any stars has led to KP being overrated.
I don't disagree with this, tbh. But I think the same thing could be said right now about Australia and Michael Clarke.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Regardless of what you think of KP as a batsman and how he is rated (I reckon - and have for about 3 years - that Bell is a better batsman, for the record), you can't really deny he's a genuine star.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't disagree with this, tbh. But I think the same thing could be said right now about Australia and Michael Clarke.
Yes fair point but Clarke is one of the best batsmen in the world and his performances in the past few seasons would suggest he isn't simply filling a vacancy

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
KP is a ****ing gun.

His 2012 was immense. Played the three best innings of the year.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Regardless of what you think of KP as a batsman and how he is rated (I reckon - and have for about 3 years - that Bell is a better batsman, for the record), you can't really deny he's a genuine star.
He is certainly a star in terms of providing entertainment but I just don't consider him ATG or even close.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Unfortunately he also bats like an idiot often which will prevent him reaching Sanga and Clarke status, let alone Ponting or Sachin status.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And then he bats like a 3rd grader the rest of the time and its excused as 'its just the way he plays' rubbish.
Sure, I agree with you. He's still a modern day great. Just not an all time great. Hardly a hanging offence not being as good as Ponting or Lara etc.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yes fair point but Clarke is one of the best batsmen in the world and his performances in the past few seasons would suggest he isn't simply filling a vacancy
yeah but there've been plenty of times in Pietersen's career where he's been one of the best batsmen in the world.

And I think a perfect illustration of what you're talking about happening with Pietersen occurs every time Clarke starts his innings.
"And out walks the best batsman in the world".

No. Some people might rate him as the best batsman in the world but he's not categorically the best. People tend to forget that this series is between the third ranked and the fifth ranked test teams. In the absence of a Ponting or a Waugh, the commentators and the pundits forget that this is actually only Michael Clarke (or Kevin Pietersen).

They're stars of their era.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but there've been plenty of times in Pietersen's career where he's been one of the best batsmen in the world.

And I think a perfect illustration of what you're talking about happening with Pietersen occurs every time Clarke starts his innings.
"And out walks the best batsman in the world".

No. Some people might rate him as the best batsman in the world but he's not categorically the best. People tend to forget that this series is between the third ranked and the fifth ranked test teams. In the absence of a Ponting or a Waugh, the commentators and the pundits forget that this is actually only Michael Clarke (or Kevin Pietersen).

They're stars of their era.
If Clarke continues to play the way he does until he retires I dare say he could surpass Waugh or even catch Ponting.