Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best one-sided series?

Best one-sided series?

Okay so its only 3-0 so this could change, but I was having a chat with some mates and one of them mentioned that this is the most entertaining and enthralling "one-sided" series he's ever seen. Obviously the really close and topsy turvy cricket contests are the ones that go down as memorable and are discussed for many years, but I couldn't think of another series where there have been three wallopings, but the cricket has been utterly awesome to watch. I think Mitch Johnson and his raw pace is definitely a factor, as well as the fact that its Australia who are the ones dominating which has come as a surprise to most people. Nevertheless its extremely odd for 3 tests which were pretty much over by the time the 4th innings started had been such great viewing.

I mean England beating India 4-0 in '11, Australia beating England in '06 5-0, India beating Australia 4-0 this year etc. were no where near as good viewing.

Can anyone remember a one-sided series that was still entertaining and made you not want to switch off the TV?*

* this obviously excludes English fans who couldn't handle the pain at such an ungodly hour and did switch off the TV, which is fair enough.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Yeah

When India got crushed by England. Such a great series and I tremendously enjoyed that.
    Prince EWS likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Okay so its only 3-0 so this could change, but I was having a chat with some mates and one of them mentioned that this is the most entertaining and enthralling "one-sided" series he's ever seen. Obviously the really close and topsy turvy cricket contests are the ones that go down as memorable and are discussed for many years, but I couldn't think of another series where there have been three wallopings, but the cricket has been utterly awesome to watch. I think Mitch Johnson and his raw pace is definitely a factor, as well as the fact that its Australia who are the ones dominating which has come as a surprise to most people. Nevertheless its extremely odd for 3 tests which were pretty much over by the time the 4th innings started had been such great viewing.

I mean England beating India 4-0 in '11, Australia beating England in '06 5-0, India beating Australia 4-0 this year etc. were no where near as good viewing.

Can anyone remember a one-sided series that was still entertaining and made you not want to switch off the TV?*

* this obviously excludes English fans who couldn't handle the pain at such an ungodly hour and did switch off the TV, which is fair enough.
    Pakistan vs England 3-0, UAE?

That wasn't one sided. We just managed to play spin a bit better than England.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    India's 4-0 loses clearly.

But in all seriousness, England in the UAE was the most entertaining whitewash I've ever seen. Was a pretty awesome series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Loved Ajmal and Rahman's bowling. Monty and Swann were class, as were Anderson and Gul. But the best was Broad. That series was just for the bowlers, with very few excellent batting performances.

Yeah see I thought of UAE 3-0 but the second and third matches were really ****ing close, and itself had varying fortunes. Whilst England were on top briefly in the early stages of the first 3 tests they were on the whole one-sided tests. Can't say the same about UAE.

U19 Debutant
    I thought we were talking scorelines? Otherwise, India in England 2010 had 2 matches that were headed for draws well into day 5 and a third where India actually managed to get a first innings lead. I thought Australia vs India this year was good too. It was hardly as one-sided as the scoreline seems to suggest. Incredibly enough, the team that got whitewashed won all the tosses!

U19 Cricketer
    The Ashes just been in England was pretty good. Obviously for an Australian supporter it wasn't great, and it probably wasn't as one-sided as the 3-0 scoreline suggests. But there were certainly a lot of exciting moment throughout the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Alan J is one of if not the biggest problem in Australia.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    India in England were on top at TB until Broad went mental with the ball then should have drawn at least one other game.

Obviously this hasn't been fun at all but some of the cricket has been enthralling as Johnson has been great and seeing some bloke bowl 90+mph fizzbombs and destroy a side is always entertaining whoever it is against.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    India in England were on top at TB until Broad went mental with the ball then should have drawn at least one other game.
    First 2 tests of Eng vs. India 4-0 were more of a contest than the first 3 here, definitely. But there's been something about this series. Such one-sided tests are never this good to watch really (unless you support the team dominating I guess).

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Jono, you'll struggle to convince any Englishmen that getting walloped in the Ashes is better than walloping India to become number one.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
    I thought we were talking scorelines? Otherwise, India in England 2010 had 2 matches that were headed for draws well into day 5
    In the same way that the WACA Test was headed for a draw into day 5 you mean?

That series was a lot more one-sided than this one has been. On Day 1 of each Test England have been in the ascendancy/on par after losing the toss each time. The final results have been big I accept but the gulf in 2011 was huge.
    Last edited by marc71178; 18-12-2013 at 01:51 AM.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Not for the first two tests it wasn't. Draw was favourite at Lord's heading into day 5 with the bookies, and India were favourites with the bookies at Trent Bridge on day 2 at 4/267.

I agree that the gulf between those two teams was huge by the end of the series, but nevertheless India were in the first 2 tests longer than England were. Post-day 1 of every test Australia were less than $2 to win.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    They were odds on after the first day of the series at 273-8? Seems odd to me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information