Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best one-sided series?

Sorry by post day 1 I meant that at some point on day 2 of every test.

Anyway much of a muchness. I think this has been an extremely entertaining series considering England probably couldn't win by day 3 of every test.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    OK, fair enough. I agree it has been one-sided and England are deservedly 3-0 down but on each of the Day 1's they've had the Aussies in a bit of bother to say the least. Probably not enough to affect the result, considering how well the Aussies have bowled (and how poorly some of our batsmen have played), but you do wonder at times "what if"
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

There's been some great catching this series too. Always makes cricket more enjoyable.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Bushranger's Avatar
    No cant agree with this call at all.
    The best one sided series and I dont think anything else will come close was 06/07 5-0 series.

Brisbane first test
    Ponting making 196
    McGrath bowling 6/50
    Langer 100*
    Collingwood 96

Adelaide second Test
    Probably the greatest Test ever played EVER.
    Collingwood 206
    Ponting 142
    Hoggard 7/109
    Warne Domination to steal the greatest test ever IMO 4/49 Pieterson around the Legs.

Perth Third Test
    Hussey 74*
    Panesar 5/92
    Peiterson 70
    Then we witnessed the best and quickest 100 in Ashes history by Gilchrist anyone that say it was blown away. First 50 off 40 balls then got to 100 off just 57 balls. It WAS AMAZING
    Clarke 135* overshadowed by Gilchrist century
    Cook 115

Melbourne Fourth Test
    Warne 5/39 rolled England and they had NO answer
    Symonds 156
    Lee 4/47 finished them off in 3 days with Warne being brilliant

Sydney Fifth Test
    Probably the saddest day for Bowling fans worldwide.
    Flintoff 89
    Warne 71 Man of the Match
    McGrath 3/38
    3 great cricketers retired for the Aussies Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Justin Langer

Probably the greatest ashes from a Aussies POV ever.

For those who missed Gilchrist 100.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVBQGvo7jCY
    For those who missed the adelaide test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkwhvfbXLps
    Last edited by Bushranger; 18-12-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    Probably the greatest ashes from a Aussies POV ever.
    That wasn't what I was referring to.

Actually the standard of the first three Tests was quite good IMO. Just turned into a victory lap in the last two though.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Thought the standard of cricket was fairly high barring the third innings in Perth tbh
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Actually the standard of the first three Tests was quite good IMO. Just turned into a victory lap in the last two though.
    Brisbane???

SA in England last year. It was not a whitewash but Sa never looked like loosing any game but it was highly entertaining cricket. Amla 300 first game then Bell looked like saving the test until Steyn blew they away with the 2nd new ball. KP onslaught on Steyn second test. The third test again had Sa on top thorughout England's lower order at the end did entertain a fleeting thought of upset but then Sa still prevailed comfortably enough. There was off field drama as well with KP and his team mates.

State Vice-Captain
    One sided series are more fun when it's the underdog doing well but how often does that really happen?
    Last edited by Arachnodouche; 19-12-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    SA in England last year. It was not a whitewash but Sa never looked like loosing any game but it was highly entertaining cricket. Amla 300 first game then Bell looked like saving the test until Steyn blew they away with the 2nd new ball. KP onslaught on Steyn second test. The third test again had Sa on top thorughout England's lower order at the end did entertain a fleeting thought of upset but then Sa still prevailed comfortably enough. There was off field drama as well with KP and his team mates.
    That's just a series where a team is better. Not really a series where a team is ****ing up the other team.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    2011 World Cup, 2013 Champions Trophy

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Been thinking this too. Amazing series so far, Johnson's inspired spells have lit the series, and the sport in this country, right up, and it has been thrilling no matter what side you're on it seems. I haven't seen such well executed short pitched stuff ever really. The return of a bit of aggression has made for striking cricket too, but more importantly the energy. Boof's brand of cricket is exciting, he seems to want a moving game at all costs. That has been key imo. There hasn't been any meandering. Good way to play, will bring people through the gates and capture the interest of youngsters.
    Last edited by 3703; 19-12-2013 at 06:50 AM.

'And if anyone had been pondering over how a team that had lost seven of its previous nine Tests, had one batsman averaging over 37 in Tests (compared to six in the opposition ranks), and was gambling on the recall of a strike bowler who had taken 30 wickets at 42 in his previous 11 matches over three years, could rampantly cauterise an opponent against whom it had won two Tests out of the previous 15, then ponder no longer.'

Courtesy Andy Zaltzman from Cricinfo.

No wonder it had the surprise element!

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Those stats are all fairly misleading though. Losing seven of the previous nine was due to the opposition/location rather than the general ****ness of the Australan team. They would still realistically have beaten most teams fairly comfortably, just not India and England away from home (or SA). The low career averages are mostly related to brief test careers, since for instance I doubt too many people would have thought Rogers and Smith looked like sub-37 career average players (though Rogers could easily end up that way). And the series in England was fairly evenly contested for a 3-0 result: only Lords was one-sided, England never scored over 400 once, had only one batsman averaging over 40 for the series, and Australia had the first innings lead in four out of five tests.

Switch the home field advantage and add a bit of experience to the Australian team and I think the signs were there that it was going to be a close series. The real shock is the sheer one-sidedness. and Johnson. My memory of the 05/06 series was that up until Perth most people still thought England had a really good chance to win the series. Brisbane was a thrashing but England basically dominated the Adelaide test until the fourth day and should certainly never have lost it, and even bowled Australia out cheaply in Perth. By comparison this series has just felt non-competitive, mostly because of the abysmal batting performance.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information