Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: *Official* 1st ODI at the MCG

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I'm thinking this ODI series could well be a nail in One Day crickets coffin.

The BBL game in Brisbane tonight was played to a sell out crowd, I dunno, but I don't think a ODI would sell out at the GABBA atm. If this series is a dud (which is more than possible) it is competing against the BBL which is gonna be on a rival channel on Aussie TV and is getting bums on seats. What are the ICC and cricket boards around the world going to think if a domestic T20 comp conjures more interest than an International fixture??

We'll have to wait and see what the crowds are like but for those that still think ODI's are a better contest than T20 these are worrying times.
    ODI cricket in its current form can't survive alongside Ashes Test cricket and domestic T20 leagues.
    ​63*

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Can anyone write out a probable starting XI for both sides please, I have no idea who will start let alone which order these days.
    I like to bet on the leading run scorer on each side, but i'm not too sure at the moment, will Clarke bat at 4?
    Thanks in advance

With Broad rested England are likely to be something like

Cook*
    Bell
    Root
    Morgan
    Bopara
    Buttler+
    Stokes
    Bresnan
    Woakes/Jordan
    Tredwell
    Rankin

Cunningly managing to look short in batting and bowling.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Can't be ****ed for Finn to miss out for one of those numpties. Form shnorm.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I'm thinking this ODI series could well be a nail in One Day crickets coffin.

The BBL game in Brisbane tonight was played to a sell out crowd, I dunno, but I don't think a ODI would sell out at the GABBA atm. If this series is a dud (which is more than possible) it is competing against the BBL which is gonna be on a rival channel on Aussie TV and is getting bums on seats. What are the ICC and cricket boards around the world going to think if a domestic T20 comp conjures more interest than an International fixture??

We'll have to wait and see what the crowds are like but for those that still think ODI's are a better contest than T20 these are worrying times.
    ODI's won't die in the forceable future because for half the cricketing world they're the major format.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I'm gonna go for Root, its a strange one as if you only saw his performance in the test series with his S/R you wouldn't put him anywhere near a limited overs game.
    I like the idea another poster put about moving Stokes up to 4, what do you (BoyBrumby) think about that?

Can't see it myself, but a lot of our selections and tactics have been beyond my ken on the tour so far, so who knows? Clean striker and all that.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Yeh I think i'm just expecting too much of him too soon.

Banned
    Is this a 5 match ODI series? Reckon Pakistan's record 9 international losses in Australia circa 2010 could be in danger if so.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Something really important going forward is that we're flexible with our batting line up, pretty much like every other team in the world is now. We've been fairly stringent with the two openers and Trott at three but with the latter potentially out of the setup we'll need some situational awareness to capitalise on strong platforms/shore up collapses. Luckily there's noone who's a complete goon at the death any more so we can afford to promote a Buttler/Stokes.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I remember Bumble saying last year that were incapable of getting the big 300+ scores, do you guys agree with that? If we batted first in all the 5 matches how many times do you think we would pass 300 against this Aussie attack?
    Yeh I agree about our flexibility but I just cant get behind Ravi, I can never trust him as a solid middle order batsman who bowls a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stace View Post
    I remember Bumble saying last year that were incapable of getting the big 300+ scores, do you guys agree with that? If we batted first in all the 5 matches how many times do you think we would pass 300 against this Aussie attack?
    Yeh I agree about our flexibility but I just cant get behind Ravi, I can never trust him as a solid middle order batsman who bowls a bit.
    It all depends who scores runs, Buttler and Morgan can score runs very quickly, we can get over 300, but we actually need a good platform to do it. The pitch is often a deciding factor on whether we can do that. I don't think we're incapable of it, but in the end if 290 wins us the match who cares.

Ravi works in ODI cricket and has improved massively over the last few years wins you the match who cares? The aussie attack will rotate obviously.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

The lineup Brumby posted has proven finishers from three to six. They could easily get 300, and if they don't, it won't be because they don't have people who can score quickly.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    So compatriots, who's pulling an all nighter for the big one?

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Yup I'll be up for the duration. Do we want to be chasing or setting a target?

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information