• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st ODI at the MCG

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm thinking this ODI series could well be a nail in One Day crickets coffin.

The BBL game in Brisbane tonight was played to a sell out crowd, I dunno, but I don't think a ODI would sell out at the GABBA atm. If this series is a dud (which is more than possible) it is competing against the BBL which is gonna be on a rival channel on Aussie TV and is getting bums on seats. What are the ICC and cricket boards around the world going to think if a domestic T20 comp conjures more interest than an International fixture??

We'll have to wait and see what the crowds are like but for those that still think ODI's are a better contest than T20 these are worrying times.
ODI cricket in its current form can't survive alongside Ashes Test cricket and domestic T20 leagues.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Can anyone write out a probable starting XI for both sides please, I have no idea who will start let alone which order these days.
I like to bet on the leading run scorer on each side, but i'm not too sure at the moment, will Clarke bat at 4?
Thanks in advance :thumbup1:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
With Broad rested England are likely to be something like

Cook*
Bell
Root
Morgan
Bopara
Buttler+
Stokes
Bresnan
Woakes/Jordan
Tredwell
Rankin

Cunningly managing to look short in batting and bowling.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm thinking this ODI series could well be a nail in One Day crickets coffin.

The BBL game in Brisbane tonight was played to a sell out crowd, I dunno, but I don't think a ODI would sell out at the GABBA atm. If this series is a dud (which is more than possible) it is competing against the BBL which is gonna be on a rival channel on Aussie TV and is getting bums on seats. What are the ICC and cricket boards around the world going to think if a domestic T20 comp conjures more interest than an International fixture??

We'll have to wait and see what the crowds are like but for those that still think ODI's are a better contest than T20 these are worrying times.
ODI's won't die in the forceable future because for half the cricketing world they're the major format.

Stace

First Class Debutant
I'm gonna go for Root, its a strange one as if you only saw his performance in the test series with his S/R you wouldn't put him anywhere near a limited overs game.
I like the idea another poster put about moving Stokes up to 4, what do you (BoyBrumby) think about that?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't see it myself, but a lot of our selections and tactics have been beyond my ken on the tour so far, so who knows? Clean striker and all that.

Jassy

Banned
Is this a 5 match ODI series? Reckon Pakistan's record 9 international losses in Australia circa 2010 could be in danger if so.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Something really important going forward is that we're flexible with our batting line up, pretty much like every other team in the world is now. We've been fairly stringent with the two openers and Trott at three but with the latter potentially out of the setup we'll need some situational awareness to capitalise on strong platforms/shore up collapses. Luckily there's noone who's a complete goon at the death any more so we can afford to promote a Buttler/Stokes.

Stace

First Class Debutant
I remember Bumble saying last year that were incapable of getting the big 300+ scores, do you guys agree with that? If we batted first in all the 5 matches how many times do you think we would pass 300 against this Aussie attack?
Yeh I agree about our flexibility but I just cant get behind Ravi, I can never trust him as a solid middle order batsman who bowls a bit.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember Bumble saying last year that were incapable of getting the big 300+ scores, do you guys agree with that? If we batted first in all the 5 matches how many times do you think we would pass 300 against this Aussie attack?
Yeh I agree about our flexibility but I just cant get behind Ravi, I can never trust him as a solid middle order batsman who bowls a bit.
It all depends who scores runs, Buttler and Morgan can score runs very quickly, we can get over 300, but we actually need a good platform to do it. The pitch is often a deciding factor on whether we can do that. I don't think we're incapable of it, but in the end if 290 wins us the match who cares.

Ravi works in ODI cricket and has improved massively over the last few years wins you the match who cares? The aussie attack will rotate obviously.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The lineup Brumby posted has proven finishers from three to six. They could easily get 300, and if they don't, it won't be because they don't have people who can score quickly.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Well I've certainly got more interest in this than I did for most of the last three tests. I was planning to wake up reasonably early but I might just end up staying up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Stace, Australia were reported to be playing:

1. Warner 2. Finch 3. Watson 4. Clarke 5. Bailey 6. Maxwell 7. Haddin 8. Faulkner 9. Coulter-Nile 10. Mckay 11. Doherty. Johnson rested and Pattinson and Marsh overlooked.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Thanks for that NUFAN, Root and Clarke to top score for me, so that usually means they are walking ducks right now :D

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
No worries. I actually think England are decent value today with many of the Aussies players in T20 mode. I rate Coulter-Nile higher than 85% of the forum (that's for Pews) but I feel as though we are missing a trick by not playing Pattinson for his aggression. I want us to go for the kill, not have 10 overs from Xavier Doherty going for 0/43.

How does Luke Wright not get a game for England by the way?