• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Hooksey

Banned
MCG is a bit tennis-ball-y these days, isn't it? No pace, but decent bounce.
The question is how much difference will it make regardless of how it plays?

The first 3 tests have been played under a variety of different conditions - from Brisbane to Adelaide to Perth - and the constant is the completely one-sided results.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thanks schearzie.

In any case, obviously Australian cricket owes Ponting heaps. Was interest in schearzie's (i.e. not you) reasons as to why they owe Ponting more than Steve Waugh.
Send him a VM then, ****

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Um yep, they couldn't have come this far without him paving the way. Or mastermind Mickey Arthur.
I look forward to the day after Kallis has retired when the cricketing world struggles to remember a single thing he did for anyone or anything but himself.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I think Panesar and Finn should be playing the MCG test. Anderson and Swann deserve a bit of a break. Panesar bowled well in the Adelaide test and was looking threatening although he didn't pick many wickets.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
There's a nine day turn-around to the Boxing day test, no one should be rested unless they are injured

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anti-Sehwag
Thank God Warner actually does score runs in the second innings though, so we don't have to facepalm at commentators going on about captains delaying their declarations because the Warner factor like they did with "Sehwag factor".

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Oh nah, Jacques does nothing for the team at all. Apart from some general awesomeness and nice pecs, nothing. What a useless *****

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It was two months ago and in England, but here is the ball that won back the Ashes | News.com.au

Craddock managing to, as usual, miss the point regarding both batting and mental illness. Look forward to seeing the footage of this ball used in CW debates for many years to come.
Yeah, garbage article with the most basic and simplistic view of events.

It's hard to say this without sounding like I'm diminishing Johnsons performances......which I'm not for a second. He has been outstanding and the best bowler in the series by far........I just think it is getting to the point now where too much credit for this thumping win is being placed on his shoulders.

Australia have been better than England in every facet of the game and from positions 1 through to 11.......I don't buy into the he was the "difference between the two sides" How can that be when every player was better? It's hard to say "what if" but if Johnson hadn't have gone into god mode and taken all the wickets is it not reasonable to think that Harris and Siddle would have picked up heaps more?

Take Johnson out of this series and sure you may not have seen returns like 7/40, but I've no doubt the scorecard would still read 3-0.

Like I say, in no way knocking him, just think that Clarke, Warner, Harris, Haddin et al have been just as pivotal to you.

Hooksey

Banned
People seem to be forgetting Johnson kick started Australia's form turnaround:

Australia was 6 for 132 day one of the series and in dire straights. Johnson with the bat was then pivotal in the Australian fightback making 64 and adding 114 with Haddin. Even so, 295 didn't look many until Johnson tore into England taking 4-61 and helping dismiss them for 136.

The 2nd innings was a continuation of the Johnson show with 39 not out and 5 for 42, and he's carried on his merry way since.

Hooksey

Banned
I would be very surprised if many people have forgotten that Hooksey.
Perhaps I should have said: People who think "it is getting to the point now where too much credit for this thumping win is being placed on Johnson's shoulders", should remember Johnson kick started Australia's form turnaround?

Thanks for the prompter.