(I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    It's safe to say I agree with Bob Willis, as voiced by Bumble:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Lol that's so good

1. Your batting is poor atm and Stokes scoring a good ton doesn't help much. Congrats you now have a Watson in the top 6.
    2. Your keeper is doing **** all with the bat and is now missing chances.
    3. Your spinner is getting hit and is batting like an 11.
    4. Your best bowler on tour is now injured.
    5. Your 3rd seamer hasn't turned up

Unless you drop KP or Carberry you can't give your reserve bat a game. Maybe he's good enough. Maybe not. But someone thought he was so a debut before its 5 nil is worth considering. Bairstow doesn't seem to be an option to bat or keep so wtf is he doing? Junket? Swann could be dropped for Monty but apparently he doesn't perform we'll as the top spinner.

Broads injury is an opportunity to blood someone but if he recovers then he plays. Seems like having Stokes and Bresnan in the team is a luxury. Plenty of problems without any standout solutions. The squad doesn't have the cover it needs obviously and they never replaced Trott.

I can see an unchanged team being picked if everyone's fit. So all you can do is hope some or all of them find some form with the series decided.

I'll be hoping they are competitive because having the 2 showpiece tests be walk overs will suck.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I was thinking about this this morning and I don't know how much I would change at this point. It wouldn't be a great time to debut, which ties our hands a bit.

I heard that Tremlett was gunning it in the nets, maybe that was bollocks, I'd bring him in for Broad if he is anything less than 100%. Sucks that it would be our best player of the tour who gets injured though. If the batsmen had set any reasonable totals then I think he could have had a really special series; as it is our bowlers have been on a hiding to nothing in each second dig but Broad still comes out with tremendous figures. Obviously there are a few declaration wickets in there but by and large he's been very good, IMO.

With those who are failing - Pietersen, Prior, Swann, Anderson - tell them to show they still deserve their places in these two Tests. I mean, it's ridiculous IMO to consider the team without Anderson and Pietersen, but nobody should be an automatic pick.

Carberry has neither proved himself nor failed - no question he should be given the next two. Root needs to be given a batting spot and told he has a couple of series there to prove himself. Stop putting him wherever there is a ****ing gap.

And obviously Stokes plays.

So as ridiculous as it seems, I'd go unchanged except perhaps Broad out.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I was thinking about this this morning and I don't know how much I would change at this point. It wouldn't be a great time to debut, which ties our hands a bit.

I heard that Tremlett was gunning it in the nets, maybe that was bollocks, I'd bring him in for Broad if he is anything less than 100%. Sucks that it would be our best player of the tour who gets injured though. If the batsmen had set any reasonable totals then I think he could have had a really special series; as it is our bowlers have been on a hiding to nothing in each second dig but Broad still comes out with tremendous figures. Obviously there are a few declaration wickets in there but by and large he's been very good, IMO.

With those who are failing - Pietersen, Prior, Swann, Anderson - tell them to show they still deserve their places in these two Tests. I mean, it's ridiculous IMO to consider the team without Anderson and Pietersen, but nobody should be an automatic pick.

Carberry has neither proved himself nor failed - no question he should be given the next two. Root needs to be given a batting spot and told he has a couple of series there to prove himself. Stop putting him wherever there is a ****ing gap.

And obviously Stokes plays.

So as ridiculous as it seems, I'd go unchanged except perhaps Broad out.
    Anderson's an automatic pick from now until the day he decides he calls it quits.

The idea that he's on notice is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Anderson's an automatic pick from now until the day he decides he calls it quits.

The idea that he's on notice is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.
    I didn't say he was on notice, but that he needs to step up. No player is an automatic pick. You have to perform. The only ridiculous thing is to suggest otherwise.

I ****ing love Jimmy Anderson. And I felt his performance post-Trent Bridge in the home series was better than people made out. And I personally think he's got plenty left in the tank.

But he's not been good enough here and needs to be told he must deliver.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Bresnan's a tough one because he clearly isn't firing on all cylinders nor would he be after time out of cricket following his injury, but when he has his nip (which has sadly been missing far too much in the last two years) he is a definite for me in the starting XI, but when he bowls his 80mph trundlers he does look fodder on these pitches. But perhaps to get that nip back he needs to play cricket so it's a tough call. Love the depth he gives our batting, providing he is no higher than number eight, love his spirit, and his skills with the older ball when reverse is around.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

International Regular
    Not sure how Stokes is now a Watson to be honest. He has 1/4 of his Test tons already. He might be worse, he might be better but we don't know yet.

Bairstow got a ton in the last warm up game, so if he is in some kind of form we should role the dice. Jonny averaged more than Prior this year so not like he is any more a liability.

Banned
    Australia $1.65 to win, and $3 to win the series 5-0. The bookies showing no respect for England.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    We'll pick a proper team this time - Andros Townsend will make all the difference
    Any chance they'll call on Cowdrey to deal with Johnson?
    LongHopCassidy likes this.
    I'll never fear you, buddy.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Backing England to not change much for Melbs. Since those who've not done so well (Cook, Bell, Swann, KP) aren't about to be dropped, newer guys (Root, Stokes) have done reasonably well and the other guy (Carberry) has been handy at times, can't see any major changes.

Changing the bowling won't change that it's been the bats who've failed but I'm guessing Broad's out for now so some changes will be necessary. Still, they've just been thoroughly out-played. No shame in it.
    Jassy likes this.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Well, I don't think we can win either way.
    I find the "we've lost so lets throw a ton of youngsters to the wolves" mentality very strange. Not picking on you specifically, I hear it in all sports.

I'm firmly of the belief that it's detrimental to a young players development. Getting repeatedly flogged instills a culture of losing in a player. Bad performances are forgiven because they're expected and before you know it the formative years of a players career in the top level have taught them that it's ok to lose in the right circumstances. What's worse, you now have a team full of players that think like this.

Basically I believe that young players should be brought into the most competitive environment possible. Sacrificing them to a professional battle hardened unit runs directly counter to this.
    Jassy, Flem274*, Spark and 1 others like this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Any chance they'll call on Cowdrey to deal with Johnson?
    Good call.

Cowdrey at 3, and perhaps David Steele at 4.

Page 3 of 157 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information