• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Spark

Global Moderator
Then they should probably fly home. They have to at least think they can win and select accordingly, or they're wasting everyone's time.

I mean, if you want an account of the joys that not selecting the best XI can bring, the Australian contingent here has plenty of advice to offer in that regard...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bollocks to Mills playing. The bloke can't get Div 2 batsmen out, that would be a slap in the face to every player who has actually performed in CC and would be the ECB admitting publicly that the competition doesn't matter at all. Would say 'There is no point performing in it, just pray you have a special feature that the selectors feel is necessary for Tests like pace or height and you will go on tours. If you don't, then forget about playing CC. It doesn't matter'. Rankin bowls 90 MPH + and has a solid Div 1 record.
Meh, England have been picking bowlers on potential for years, Anderson, Flintoff, Broad, Harmison, all just had a special feature, and it's not like Rankin is Fred Truman is it?

grecian

Then they should probably fly home. They have to at least think they can win and select accordingly, or they're wasting everyone's time.

I mean, if you want an account of the joys that not selecting the best XI can bring, the Australian contingent here has plenty of advice to offer in that regard...
Happy to do the flying home thing thanks, not sure the ACB would be too happy. Again I think that side has a better chance than a shell-shocked one. This is assuming Broad isn't fit. I've basically only dropped KP and Swann from the established lot. KP the only big miss, and Moeen and Mills the two only majorly out-there ones.

91Jmay

International Coach
Rankin is a lot better than Mills currently. Miles and miles better. He was the only bowler who consistently troubled the Aussies in the ODI series and has pace. All those guys at least had ok records in first class cricket, like at least a couple of good back to back first class games which Mills has never even done.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If I was going to leave anyone out then it'd be Broad. I'm all for playing your best team and respecting the fact that each Test is sacred, but Broad is clearly injured and there's little point playing him if he's sore. Anderson and Swann just look tired more than anything - probably mentally as much as physically - but there's nothing wrong with them and they're still by far the best available so they should be playing. If Broad's out then it does give England an opportunity to look at Finn or Rankin (or Tremlett I suppose if he's sending them down any better in the nets).

Bresnan's a bit different in that he's just coming back from injury and didn't look great, but Perth was never going to be his wicket and he always looks a little toothless when he's first coming back from a lay off. Whether he's first coming back now or in a few months then it's going to be the same thing, so getting some cricket under his belt now seems sensible IMO, especially since Melbourne and Sydney could well suit him.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I am adamant that Rankin should play, as I was in the previous Test. Whether that is for Broad because of injury, or Bresnan, I don't really care, but I think he's worth a shot. Has been progressively integrated into the setup and is probably the only other option that could shake things up a bit, unless Finn is anywhere near approaching form, which seems unlikely. Only other person I'd consider dropping is Prior based on the management's opinion on his mental state, but other than that changes would be unnecessary and fruitless imo.

Jarquis

Don't think Bresnan was all that bad tbh. Yesterday morning he was giving his all in both the field and with the ball and was let down pretty badly by those around him. This all in his first Test back after a length lay off with a ****ing stress fracture in his back of all places.

Tremlett's pretty much done IMO. He'll always be pretty dependable and, at present, not a bad option to have in around the squad because he bowls pretty accurately and his height makes it difficult to get after him but he's not going to take match winning halls anymore as far as I can see.

I didn't rate Rankin to begin with and he's apparently gone backwards while on tour/since entering the England set up so I can't see how he's a viable option and god knows what the story is with Finn, very much one step forward and 12 steps back. I don't know if it's a Saker thing but our seam bowling stocks do seem to be steadily going to ****.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
1. Your batting is poor atm and Stokes scoring a good ton doesn't help much. Congrats you now have a Watson in the top 6.
2. Your keeper is doing **** all with the bat and is now missing chances.
3. Your spinner is getting hit and is batting like an 11.
4. Your best bowler on tour is now injured.
5. Your 3rd seamer hasn't turned up

Unless you drop KP or Carberry you can't give your reserve bat a game. Maybe he's good enough. Maybe not. But someone thought he was so a debut before its 5 nil is worth considering. Bairstow doesn't seem to be an option to bat or keep so wtf is he doing? Junket? Swann could be dropped for Monty but apparently he doesn't perform we'll as the top spinner.

Broads injury is an opportunity to blood someone but if he recovers then he plays. Seems like having Stokes and Bresnan in the team is a luxury. Plenty of problems without any standout solutions. The squad doesn't have the cover it needs obviously and they never replaced Trott.

I can see an unchanged team being picked if everyone's fit. So all you can do is hope some or all of them find some form with the series decided.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'll be hoping they are competitive because having the 2 showpiece tests be walk overs will suck.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was thinking about this this morning and I don't know how much I would change at this point. It wouldn't be a great time to debut, which ties our hands a bit.

I heard that Tremlett was gunning it in the nets, maybe that was bollocks, I'd bring him in for Broad if he is anything less than 100%. Sucks that it would be our best player of the tour who gets injured though. If the batsmen had set any reasonable totals then I think he could have had a really special series; as it is our bowlers have been on a hiding to nothing in each second dig but Broad still comes out with tremendous figures. Obviously there are a few declaration wickets in there but by and large he's been very good, IMO.

With those who are failing - Pietersen, Prior, Swann, Anderson - tell them to show they still deserve their places in these two Tests. I mean, it's ridiculous IMO to consider the team without Anderson and Pietersen, but nobody should be an automatic pick.

Carberry has neither proved himself nor failed - no question he should be given the next two. Root needs to be given a batting spot and told he has a couple of series there to prove himself. Stop putting him wherever there is a ****ing gap.

And obviously Stokes plays.

So as ridiculous as it seems, I'd go unchanged except perhaps Broad out.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I was thinking about this this morning and I don't know how much I would change at this point. It wouldn't be a great time to debut, which ties our hands a bit.

I heard that Tremlett was gunning it in the nets, maybe that was bollocks, I'd bring him in for Broad if he is anything less than 100%. Sucks that it would be our best player of the tour who gets injured though. If the batsmen had set any reasonable totals then I think he could have had a really special series; as it is our bowlers have been on a hiding to nothing in each second dig but Broad still comes out with tremendous figures. Obviously there are a few declaration wickets in there but by and large he's been very good, IMO.

With those who are failing - Pietersen, Prior, Swann, Anderson - tell them to show they still deserve their places in these two Tests. I mean, it's ridiculous IMO to consider the team without Anderson and Pietersen, but nobody should be an automatic pick.

Carberry has neither proved himself nor failed - no question he should be given the next two. Root needs to be given a batting spot and told he has a couple of series there to prove himself. Stop putting him wherever there is a ****ing gap.

And obviously Stokes plays.

So as ridiculous as it seems, I'd go unchanged except perhaps Broad out.
Anderson's an automatic pick from now until the day he decides he calls it quits.

The idea that he's on notice is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anderson's an automatic pick from now until the day he decides he calls it quits.

The idea that he's on notice is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.
I didn't say he was on notice, but that he needs to step up. No player is an automatic pick. You have to perform. The only ridiculous thing is to suggest otherwise.

I ****ing love Jimmy Anderson. And I felt his performance post-Trent Bridge in the home series was better than people made out. And I personally think he's got plenty left in the tank.

But he's not been good enough here and needs to be told he must deliver.

Woodster

International Captain
Bresnan's a tough one because he clearly isn't firing on all cylinders nor would he be after time out of cricket following his injury, but when he has his nip (which has sadly been missing far too much in the last two years) he is a definite for me in the starting XI, but when he bowls his 80mph trundlers he does look fodder on these pitches. But perhaps to get that nip back he needs to play cricket so it's a tough call. Love the depth he gives our batting, providing he is no higher than number eight, love his spirit, and his skills with the older ball when reverse is around.

91Jmay

International Coach
Not sure how Stokes is now a Watson to be honest. He has 1/4 of his Test tons already. He might be worse, he might be better but we don't know yet.

Bairstow got a ton in the last warm up game, so if he is in some kind of form we should role the dice. Jonny averaged more than Prior this year so not like he is any more a liability.