Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 157 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree257Likes

Thread: *Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Semi-serious question, as an Englishman do you care about losing 5-0?

The fact is I'm finding I don't. We don't deserve to win a Test. The only bright spark of the last Match was a young un coming through (and proving me spectacularly wrong in the process, good on him). So **** it lets's rest a few of these *****, send 'em home and try to blood some more youth.

I'D go:

Cook
    Root
    Moeen
    Bell
    Ballance
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Bresnan
    Anderson
    Finn
    Mills

Let Mills and Finn bowl in short bursts, Ali and Root to do the spin-duties. Yeah it's a terrible looking side looking short on everything, umm where was I going on this, oh yeah it's still got more chance of winning then our shot load of idjits playing out there now.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Cook
    Carberry
    Root
    KP
    Bell
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Broad or Finn if not fit
    Swann
    Anderson
    Rankin

Series gone, and whilst winning Test Matches is still important we need to find a 3rd seamer desperately. Lets see if Boyd is that man.
    Will be looking forward to it if that does happen. His FC record isn't much to chirp about though.
    Current Favourite XI 1. Gayle 2. Warner 3.Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6.DeVilliers 7. De Kock+ 8. Broad 9. Johnson 10. Herath 11. Steyn

International Regular
    Bollocks to Mills playing. The bloke can't get Div 2 batsmen out, that would be a slap in the face to every player who has actually performed in CC and would be the ECB admitting publicly that the competition doesn't matter at all. Would say 'There is no point performing in it, just pray you have a special feature that the selectors feel is necessary for Tests like pace or height and you will go on tours. If you don't, then forget about playing CC. It doesn't matter'. Rankin bowls 90 MPH + and has a solid Div 1 record.

I cannot possibly understand the mentality that says it's worth burning a Test just so you can let some not-yet-ready players experience getting hammered. I mean, what's the point? Play to win ffs.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I cannot possibly understand the mentality that says it's worth burning a Test just so you can let some not-yet-ready players experience getting hammered. I mean, what's the point? Play to win ffs.
    Well, I don't think we can win either way.

Then they should probably fly home. They have to at least think they can win and select accordingly, or they're wasting everyone's time.

I mean, if you want an account of the joys that not selecting the best XI can bring, the Australian contingent here has plenty of advice to offer in that regard...

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Bollocks to Mills playing. The bloke can't get Div 2 batsmen out, that would be a slap in the face to every player who has actually performed in CC and would be the ECB admitting publicly that the competition doesn't matter at all. Would say 'There is no point performing in it, just pray you have a special feature that the selectors feel is necessary for Tests like pace or height and you will go on tours. If you don't, then forget about playing CC. It doesn't matter'. Rankin bowls 90 MPH + and has a solid Div 1 record.
    Meh, England have been picking bowlers on potential for years, Anderson, Flintoff, Broad, Harmison, all just had a special feature, and it's not like Rankin is Fred Truman is it?

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Well, I don't think we can win either way.
    Nah England can definitely win. It's unlikely obviously but it's very possible.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Then they should probably fly home. They have to at least think they can win and select accordingly, or they're wasting everyone's time.

I mean, if you want an account of the joys that not selecting the best XI can bring, the Australian contingent here has plenty of advice to offer in that regard...
    Happy to do the flying home thing thanks, not sure the ACB would be too happy. Again I think that side has a better chance than a shell-shocked one. This is assuming Broad isn't fit. I've basically only dropped KP and Swann from the established lot. KP the only big miss, and Moeen and Mills the two only majorly out-there ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Nah England can definitely win. It's unlikely obviously but it's very possible.
    Yep possible with my side

Will happily play an England side without KP tbh. Would be delighted.

International Regular
    Rankin is a lot better than Mills currently. Miles and miles better. He was the only bowler who consistently troubled the Aussies in the ODI series and has pace. All those guys at least had ok records in first class cricket, like at least a couple of good back to back first class games which Mills has never even done.

If I was going to leave anyone out then it'd be Broad. I'm all for playing your best team and respecting the fact that each Test is sacred, but Broad is clearly injured and there's little point playing him if he's sore. Anderson and Swann just look tired more than anything - probably mentally as much as physically - but there's nothing wrong with them and they're still by far the best available so they should be playing. If Broad's out then it does give England an opportunity to look at Finn or Rankin (or Tremlett I suppose if he's sending them down any better in the nets).

Bresnan's a bit different in that he's just coming back from injury and didn't look great, but Perth was never going to be his wicket and he always looks a little toothless when he's first coming back from a lay off. Whether he's first coming back now or in a few months then it's going to be the same thing, so getting some cricket under his belt now seems sensible IMO, especially since Melbourne and Sydney could well suit him.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    I am adamant that Rankin should play, as I was in the previous Test. Whether that is for Broad because of injury, or Bresnan, I don't really care, but I think he's worth a shot. Has been progressively integrated into the setup and is probably the only other option that could shake things up a bit, unless Finn is anywhere near approaching form, which seems unlikely. Only other person I'd consider dropping is Prior based on the management's opinion on his mental state, but other than that changes would be unnecessary and fruitless imo.

Don't think Bresnan was all that bad tbh. Yesterday morning he was giving his all in both the field and with the ball and was let down pretty badly by those around him. This all in his first Test back after a length lay off with a ****ing stress fracture in his back of all places.

Tremlett's pretty much done IMO. He'll always be pretty dependable and, at present, not a bad option to have in around the squad because he bowls pretty accurately and his height makes it difficult to get after him but he's not going to take match winning halls anymore as far as I can see.

I didn't rate Rankin to begin with and he's apparently gone backwards while on tour/since entering the England set up so I can't see how he's a viable option and god knows what the story is with Finn, very much one step forward and 12 steps back. I don't know if it's a Saker thing but our seam bowling stocks do seem to be steadily going to ****.

Page 2 of 157 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information