• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
If it was done in consultation with Flower and the selectors I would be more supportive of his decision to bail out mid tour.

Not sure if that's the case or not yet?

They'll probably need 2 spinners in Sydney. Pisser Panasar and who?
They won't play two spinners imo because there are no other good spinners.

Borthwick is in Aus but he ain't good enough and spins it in the same direction as Panesar. Moeen Ali would be the only option if they wanted a second spinner. He could bat 6 with Stokes at 7 and offer some decent offbreaks but again he's no frontline spin bowler. But Ali has gone back to England now.

The other three spinners playing in aus currently of the top of my head are Stephen Parry, James Sykes and Ryan Buckley. Parry is the only half decent one - and could get a test match if England don't call anyone up and Panesar breaks down on the day of the game. For this reason I think England will have to call someone up. They're not going to risk Kerrigan again so for that reason I'd guess Borthwick or Ali will get called up.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
They don't need two spinners for SCG Hooksey. Just play Panesar and get some overs from Root definitely and KP maybe.

I'm pretty shocked by this news. good career Swanny, well done.

Hooksey

Banned
They won't play two spinners imo because there are no other good spinners.

Borthwick is in Aus but he ain't good enough and spins it in the same direction as Panesar. Moeen Ali would be the only option if they wanted a second spinner. He could bat 6 with Stokes at 7 and offer some decent offbreaks but again he's no frontline spin bowler. But Ali has gone back to England now.

The other three spinners playing in aus currently of the top of my head are Stephen Parry, James Sykes and Ryan Buckley. Parry is the only half decent one - and could get a test match if England don't call anyone up and Panesar breaks down on the day of the game. For this reason I think England will have to call someone up. They're not going to risk Kerrigan again so for that reason I'd guess Borthwick or Ali will get called up.
They have no good seamers either at the present time. Example Anderson is going for nearly 60 runs a wicket. A change of attack in Sydney would have made sense for that reason. But the spin cupboard is bare now as well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Swann's last over bowling in Test Cricket*

Swann to Watson, FOUR, tossed up and hammered down the ground, easily beating the man at long-on to the rope
Swann to Watson, SIX, more punishment, this time Watson smokes Swann back over his head and straight into the crowd
Swann to Watson, no run, flatter, on the stumps and defended
Swann to Watson, SIX, another maximum, into the stands at wide long-on, he came out to the pitch and blootered the ball way back over the fence
Swann to Watson, no run, pushed through on the stumps, pushed back down the track
Swann to Watson, SIX, floated up, Watson is on the rampage and this goes many a mile over wide long-on again. This is like watching a man kicking a kitten

* I'm not 100% certain that Swann wont return.

theegyptian

They have no good seamers either at the present time. Example Anderson is going for nearly 60 runs a wicket. A change of attack in Sydney would have made sense for that reason. But the spin cupboard is bare now as well.
It made sense and they tried it in Adelaide. 1 It didn't work and 2 they no longer have 2 good spinners to choose. If Swann was still there they may well have gone down that path again in sydney dependent on conditions especially as Stokes has done ok but it isn't an option now.

Hooksey

Banned
Swann's last over bowling in Test Cricket*

Swann to Watson, FOUR, tossed up and hammered down the ground, easily beating the man at long-on to the rope
Swann to Watson, SIX, more punishment, this time Watson smokes Swann back over his head and straight into the crowd
Swann to Watson, no run, flatter, on the stumps and defended
Swann to Watson, SIX, another maximum, into the stands at wide long-on, he came out to the pitch and blootered the ball way back over the fence
Swann to Watson, no run, pushed through on the stumps, pushed back down the track
Swann to Watson, SIX, floated up, Watson is on the rampage and this goes many a mile over wide long-on again. This is like watching a man kicking a kitten

* I'm not 100% certain that Swann wont return.
There's a guy in his team whose last over in Test cricket is worse than that.

At least he's stuck around to try and improve on it in Melbourne.

Hooksey

Banned
It made sense and they tried it in Adelaide. 1 It didn't work and 2 they no longer have 2 good spinners to choose. If Swann was still there they may well have gone down that path again in sydney dependent on conditions especially as Stokes has done ok but it isn't an option now.
Exactly the point I was making earlier.

theegyptian

nothing wrong with in had he announced it pre-tour. He didn't though. This leaves his team in a lurch.
It really doesn't. The series is over. They have an adequate but not as good replacement. People were asking for him to be dropped anyway. England just get a head start of two tests on their planning for the future. If he doesn't want to be out there he's better of not being out there, for him and the team.

All this Hussey was selfish, Swann was selfish rubbish is crap. You give everything for the team when playing but once you don't want to be out there today, tomorrow and the next day; you're better off retired.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Been a very good player for a number of years, but clearly isn't the bowler he was on this tour. Probably should have given the team advanced notice, but I am not hugely bothered. Leaves us hugely in the hole at home though, Swann was dangerous in England. Panesar is an ok spin option, long term i don't see any young spinner I would bank anything on. Ravi Patel possibly?

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Wow...this is nearly as poor in timing as Mike Hussey's retirement was last year.

1.) Why did Swann not announce this earlier so that Cook could adjust accordingly? 2.) He does realize that there's no shame in being a spinner that was tonked in Australia, right? 3.) What does this say about his interest and love for the game? It's like he isn't even interested in any of the upcoming cricket, which is disappointing for a cricketer of his quality.

At least England will now play a spinner that won't let batsmen come down the pitch against every ball bowled. I was really hoping the rise of Stokes might lead to Swann and Panesar being given more chances together.

theegyptian

Been a very good player for a number of years, but clearly isn't the bowler he was on this tour. Probably should have given the team advanced notice, but I am not hugely bothered. Leaves us hugely in the hole at home though, Swann was dangerous in England. Panesar is an ok spin option, long term i don't see any young spinner I would bank anything on. Ravi Patel possibly?
No doubt it's disastrous for England. It's gonna be a real struggle watching Monty play the next couple of years - mainly for his fielding.

I wouldn't put any money on anyone.

Last two years of championship cricket for English u 30's spinners

Kerrigan 101 wickets @ 26.96, Ali 61 wickets @ 30.25, Wainwright 61 wickets 37.77, Rayner 56 wickets @ 26.55

Others

Dockrell(48wickets), Rashid(45), Borthwick(43), Samit Patel(40), Dawson(32), Rafiq(27), Briggs(27)

All that tells us that Kerrigan was our best bet and you see what happened there. Of the rest Rafiq and Ravi Patel are two I'd guess at but ideally in 4 or 5 years not today

The rest: Dockrell(48 wickets), Rashid(45), Borthwick(43), S Patel(40), Dawson(32), Rafiq(27), Briggs(27).

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow...this is nearly as poor in timing as Mike Hussey's retirement was last year.

1.) Why did Swann not announce this earlier so that Cook could adjust accordingly? 2.) He does realize that there's no shame in being a spinner that was tonked in Australia, right? 3.) What does this say about his interest and love for the game? It's like he isn't even interested in any of the upcoming cricket, which is disappointing for a cricketer of his quality.

At least England will now play a spinner that won't let batsmen come down the pitch against every ball bowled. I was really hoping the rise of Stokes might lead to Swann and Panesar being given more chances together.
Is it me, or does almost none of this make sense:blink:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ok now let's predict the responses if Swann announced his retirement, but expressed his desire to play these last two matches

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Is it me, or does almost none of this make sense:blink:
So did Swann inform Cook earlier of his retirement plans? I think it might have helped
You might be able to figure why this looks rather poor given that he just had his butt handed to him (especially given the previous posts prior to mine). I'm just saying there's no shame in being blitzed, as he was, in Australia
That a cricketer as good as he is doesn't have the appetite for more, at his age, is disappointing for a cricket fan. He didn't retire because he was bad or got old. He retired because he lost interest. That's kinda sad for a fan of the game.
I was hoping to see more of twin spin from England, especially if they're willing to play a seam-up all-rounder at 6 or 7. Stokes increased that hope

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
ok now let's predict the responses if Swann announced his retirement, but expressed his desire to play these last two matches
If he had done this he would've done it pre-series. Which would've been fine. Not now.