Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Graeme Swann

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    He's looked a bit disinterested really. If Monty is going to be the long term replacement (which you have to say he will be given the lack of talent in the county game at the moment) then the right choice is to bring him in immediately. I fear over the next 12 months we're going to lose 3-4 players and it's going to be an iffy time while the replacements bed in.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    When the going gets tough _ __ __ (sing along)

One hopes he has a good reason for it.
    The series is over, he's letting no-one down. He can have whatever reason he likes for it. It's his career. He's gone through plenty of tough times during his career.

Some real posts lacking respect imo. Swann may have been a bit of **** at times during his career but he deserves respect for what he has done in international cricket.
    Cabinet96, grecian, MW1304 and 1 others like this.

Banned
    "I came to Australia in the hope of winning our fourth Ashes series on the trot but that's now impossible. So it's time for someone else to buckle in and enjoy the ride".

"I could have made myself available for the last two Tests and maybe had a bit of a send-off from the Barmy Army. But that's no reason to hang on for two more games. I like to be the centre of attention -- but for the right reason by winning games of cricket."

The Ashes 2013-14 : Graeme Swann retires mid-series | Cricket News | England in Australia - The Ashes | ESPN Cricinfo

I have enjoyed watching Swann the cricketer - great competitor - and reckon he's probably a good bloke too. But what a soft way to sign off.
    JontyPanesar and Son Of Coco like this.

"I came to Australia in the hope of winning our fourth Ashes series on the trot but that's now impossible," Swann, a regular columnist with the Sun, said in the paper. "So it's time for someone else to buckle in and enjoy the ride."

That does not sit right with me at all....

Quote Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
    We have far better spinners coming through than Kerrigan.
    Whom exactly?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    The series is over, he's letting no-one down. He can have whatever reason he likes for it. It's his career. He's gone through plenty of tough times during his career.

Some real posts lacking respect imo. Swann may have been a bit of **** at times during his career but he deserves respect for what he has done in international cricket.
    Bull**** mate!!!

The vast majority of England fans come over here for the last 2 tests. Right now thousands are on planes heading here for a series that is already over........these are average people on average wages and have scrimped and saved and gone without to make this trip of a lifetime.

Unless he has a very very good reason Swann is letting these people down for a start.

England fans are in this for better or worse........is it too much to expect the same of the players???
    Last edited by Adders; 21-12-2013 at 06:26 PM.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    He improved his chances of getting a good IPL deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Bull**** mate!!!

The vast majority of England fans come over here for the last 2 tests. Right now thousands are on planes heading here for a series that is already over........these are average people on average wages and have scrimped and saved and gone without to make this trip of a lifetime.

Unless he has a very very good reason Swann is letting these people down for a start.

England fans are in this for better or worse........is it too much to expect the same of the players???
    meh, the reason does seem a little poor, but honestly I'm not going to slag it off, because I want change. He'll lose out on earnings here, he could have muddled through, but he clearly feels it's not right, let Monty play, see how he goes.

What a sad end. All the trolling can really piss off, at least for now, especially from those who had a cry in the Ponting retirement thread.
    Last edited by Cabinet96; 21-12-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Days of Grace likes this.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    meh, the reason does seem a little poor, but honestly I'm not going to slag it off, because I want change. He'll lose out on earnings here, he could have muddled through, but he clearly feels it's not right, let Monty play, see how he goes.
    Despite my rage, I have also said I'd wait until we hear some reasoning.......maybe there is a very good and valid reason to be doing this mid series.

But the initial articles and comments are not looking good. Swann has never lost an Ashes series up until now...........not enjoying losing is no reason to ditch the tour. Toughen the **** up and restore some pride in these last 2 two tests.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Not sure we can even call this a "dip in form" can we?? Was highest wicket taker in the last series he played and is just struggling in the worlds biggest graveyard for finger spinners.
    Don't agree with that. Swann's bowling had been in slow decline for some time. I don't think he'd been the same since around about the UAE tour. There was a feeling right from the start of this tour that it was a series too far.

Banned
    I don't think Swann will be the only casualty from this series. Prior must be on the threshold of oblivion, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pietersen retires from Tests to concentrate on the quick & easy money available in the shorter form of the game. Time for a changing of the guard. Swann has just beaten the rush.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    if he was going to retire at the end of the series, which always seemed a good possibility, i don't really care about him declining to play in two farewell tests
    Cabinet96 likes this.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Don't agree with that. Swann's bowling had been in slow decline for some time. I don't think he'd been the same since around about the UAE tour. There was a feeling right from the start of this tour that it was a series too far.

Yep, everyone that's watched his action can see since the elbow injuries he's just not ripping it like he did do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooksey View Post
    I don't think Swann will be the only casualty from this series. Prior must be on the threshold of oblivion, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pietersen retires from Tests to concentrate on the quick & easy money available in the shorter form of the game. Time for a changing of the guard. Swann has just beaten the rush.
    I think we're all hoping you're a casualty of the series mate.
    Adders, Flem274*, Maximas and 1 others like this.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information