• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
He's looked a bit disinterested really. If Monty is going to be the long term replacement (which you have to say he will be given the lack of talent in the county game at the moment) then the right choice is to bring him in immediately. I fear over the next 12 months we're going to lose 3-4 players and it's going to be an iffy time while the replacements bed in.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
When the going gets tough _ __ __ (sing along)

One hopes he has a good reason for it.
The series is over, he's letting no-one down. He can have whatever reason he likes for it. It's his career. He's gone through plenty of tough times during his career.

Some real posts lacking respect imo. Swann may have been a bit of **** at times during his career but he deserves respect for what he has done in international cricket.

Hooksey

Banned
"I came to Australia in the hope of winning our fourth Ashes series on the trot but that's now impossible. So it's time for someone else to buckle in and enjoy the ride".

"I could have made myself available for the last two Tests and maybe had a bit of a send-off from the Barmy Army. But that's no reason to hang on for two more games. I like to be the centre of attention -- but for the right reason by winning games of cricket."

The Ashes 2013-14 : Graeme Swann retires mid-series | Cricket News | England in Australia - The Ashes | ESPN Cricinfo

I have enjoyed watching Swann the cricketer - great competitor - and reckon he's probably a good bloke too. But what a soft way to sign off.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
"I came to Australia in the hope of winning our fourth Ashes series on the trot but that's now impossible," Swann, a regular columnist with the Sun, said in the paper. "So it's time for someone else to buckle in and enjoy the ride."

That does not sit right with me at all....

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The series is over, he's letting no-one down. He can have whatever reason he likes for it. It's his career. He's gone through plenty of tough times during his career.

Some real posts lacking respect imo. Swann may have been a bit of **** at times during his career but he deserves respect for what he has done in international cricket.
Bull**** mate!!!

The vast majority of England fans come over here for the last 2 tests. Right now thousands are on planes heading here for a series that is already over........these are average people on average wages and have scrimped and saved and gone without to make this trip of a lifetime.

Unless he has a very very good reason Swann is letting these people down for a start.

England fans are in this for better or worse........is it too much to expect the same of the players???

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bull**** mate!!!

The vast majority of England fans come over here for the last 2 tests. Right now thousands are on planes heading here for a series that is already over........these are average people on average wages and have scrimped and saved and gone without to make this trip of a lifetime.

Unless he has a very very good reason Swann is letting these people down for a start.

England fans are in this for better or worse........is it too much to expect the same of the players???
meh, the reason does seem a little poor, but honestly I'm not going to slag it off, because I want change. He'll lose out on earnings here, he could have muddled through, but he clearly feels it's not right, let Monty play, see how he goes.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
What a sad end. All the trolling can really piss off, at least for now, especially from those who had a cry in the Ponting retirement thread.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
meh, the reason does seem a little poor, but honestly I'm not going to slag it off, because I want change. He'll lose out on earnings here, he could have muddled through, but he clearly feels it's not right, let Monty play, see how he goes.
Despite my rage, I have also said I'd wait until we hear some reasoning.......maybe there is a very good and valid reason to be doing this mid series.

But the initial articles and comments are not looking good. Swann has never lost an Ashes series up until now...........not enjoying losing is no reason to ditch the tour. Toughen the **** up and restore some pride in these last 2 two tests.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure we can even call this a "dip in form" can we?? Was highest wicket taker in the last series he played and is just struggling in the worlds biggest graveyard for finger spinners.
Don't agree with that. Swann's bowling had been in slow decline for some time. I don't think he'd been the same since around about the UAE tour. There was a feeling right from the start of this tour that it was a series too far.

Hooksey

Banned
I don't think Swann will be the only casualty from this series. Prior must be on the threshold of oblivion, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pietersen retires from Tests to concentrate on the quick & easy money available in the shorter form of the game. Time for a changing of the guard. Swann has just beaten the rush.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if he was going to retire at the end of the series, which always seemed a good possibility, i don't really care about him declining to play in two farewell tests

grecian

Don't agree with that. Swann's bowling had been in slow decline for some time. I don't think he'd been the same since around about the UAE tour. There was a feeling right from the start of this tour that it was a series too far.

Yep, everyone that's watched his action can see since the elbow injuries he's just not ripping it like he did do.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I don't think Swann will be the only casualty from this series. Prior must be on the threshold of oblivion, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pietersen retires from Tests to concentrate on the quick & easy money available in the shorter form of the game. Time for a changing of the guard. Swann has just beaten the rush.
I think we're all hoping you're a casualty of the series mate.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
if he was going to retire at the end of the series, which always seemed a good possibility, i don't really care about him declining to play in two farewell tests
Sorry I just can't get my head around this.......and I am trying because I love Grahame Swann and don't want to be feeling this angst towards him that I am right now.

If we were 3-0 up would he be playing these 2 tests?? If so then he should be fronting up and playing them when we are 3-0 down. The Aussies went a long way towards securing this Ashes win in the last 2 tests in England when they were 3-0 down IMO.

There is no such thing as dead rubbers in Ashes cricket.

grecian

I think we're all hoping you're a casualty of the series mate.
No point getting so upset mate, Swann is a pretty divisive player, if someone like Warner was to retire mid-series us Englanders would have a chuckle. I think he's been a great servant and retired at the right time, but I can see other views.